Our days haven't been without Gratitude.
Thursday morning Tom's tastebuds were craving some BBQ. When we got to Fat Boy's, however, it was standing room only; no remaining brisket. Uncharacteristically, I suggested Olive Garden.
I'm still not fond of pasta, but they make the best salmon and broccoli. We always like to sit in the bar in a quiet little booth, where Mike takes such good care of us. It's been 2-3 months since we were there, but he remembered what Tom always orders (shrimp scampi with 'lots' of extra Alfredo sauce). Bonus points, he always leaves me a handful of those little Andes mints with the bill.
Friday's semi-annual HVAC check-up went well. Naturally, they always want to upsell us something or another. Annoying! I told Tom, I wish we might find an independent, unbiased A/C tech who would come take a good look and give us a straight answer.
Given the unit's age (12-1/2 years) I'm praying it will keep on keeping on a while longer.
For some reason, that hit my funny bone.
Dear Alex, "How is A.I. like the little man behind the curtain in Wizard of Oz."
Finally ... here's something I've been musing.
I'm looking forward to Bible study tomorrow morning. Not so much the video. 12 weeks is already beginning to wear thin. No, I enjoy hearing others' thoughts. Last week's chapter was Hosea and Gomer. Brenda -- the Deep Thinker among us -- asked, "Do you think we prostitute our time?"
I never thought about it like that. What would you say?
Y'all be good ... stay safe!
Hugs, Myra


I assume that means do we sell our souls for money? That's the joy of retirement, we can keep our time and energy aligned with our values. ❤️
ReplyDeleteJoy of retirement ... yesssss!
Delete"Do you think we prostitute our time?"---well, now, that about caused me to spit out my coffee. lol. Have a great Monday!
ReplyDelete... and then you'd have to change your blouse. Happy Monday!
DeleteOh wow, a lot to ponder in this post. I am not that enamored with AI, although I do appreciate it's quick responses to my questions about things like bugs and different scripture passages I am trying to find and can't remember all the right words to look them up. It's pretty good at filling in the blanks for me. LOL. My niece had to remind me on Saturday when I was talking about AI being the illustrator on my friend's little story books about animals, etc., I must've said "he" in regards to AI, and she said, "Aunt Pam, AI is an "IT", not a "HE". Remember that!" I had to laugh because I didn't even realize I'd said it like that. Oh dear, we have to watch our pronouns even on inanimate objects now! LOL. Regarding your friend's question about "prostituting our time"....that's a deep thought. I think sometimes we can get lost in doing stupid things and going down rabbit trails, especially with the internet...it lead us from one crazy thing to another if we're not careful, and I have to stop, put away my phone or get up from my computer and go walk around and look at real things and talk to real people for a while...or pet my cat. Definitely the internet can steal our time away from us if we are not careful. I am trying to be more diligent about limiting my time in cyberspace.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry Tom didn't get his BBQ craving satisfied, but at least you had a good meal at a nice place. You may have to set up another "date" for BBQ when it's not so busy!! I know how that craving goes. Somehow, Italian just doesn't quite fill the bill for BBQ! LOL. But it's still good and you had fun. That's what really matters. Have a blessed rest of your week.
I say "he", too! What a world!
DeleteDo we prostitute our time?
ReplyDeleteIt depends what we mean by prostitute. Essentially, everyone at work is selling their time (and skills) for money. We do a job from "9 to 5" (or whatever) and they pay us.
If, however, the question is: Do we invest our time in certain friendships or relationships for ulterior motives? Well, the answer is different. Why do we still remain friends with someone we don't really like? Is it because we want to be "seen" with someone influential, powerful etc ... What is our real reasons we maintain certain friendships, go to certain places like clubs, committees, jobs etc?
I prostitute my time to the TV. Sadly, these days there's nothing on apart from dust on the screen.
Keep smiling and God bless, Mevely. I liked this post with so much to comment about. I only chose one subject to avoid taking over the conversation.
That's a great way of looking at it, Victor! Sadly, I've been there, done that.
DeletePS - Please, don't ever concern yourself with "taking over the conversation." Your thoughts are richly welcomed.
That is quite the provoking question, Myra. I'm just about to embark on reading Hosea in my year's Bible read, so I will keep that at the top of my mind. Isn't it nice to have a waiter who remembers your preferences? That's such a rare blessing. Have a marvelous week!
ReplyDeleteJennifer Rothschild's "Hosea" study was by far my favorite. Here's a snippet sample --https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVUtti4RTMw
DeleteA question I've not ever thought of for sure. I rarely use AI (still a little nervous about it). but...I thought I would check in with AI to see what an answer might be....AI said that to prostitute our time is to misuse, cheapen or waste our time by giving it to something unworthy. Pretty good answer. Sorry y'all were not able to get the BBQ...come on over and spend some time here..BBQ on every corner. LOL.. Have a wonderful day Myra...hope your knee is treating you well...
ReplyDeleteGosh, that merits an A+!
DeleteSounds like things are going well there. Glad you could get out to eat. Even if it wasn't what you went for. As far as time goes, I've always tried to make good use of mine, it flys by so fast that we have to make everyday a good one. I still haven't taken the time to find a good Bible study, but I have had some good ones in the past. Still it's one thing on my to do list. Enjoy your days, you never know how long they will last!. Love, ma
ReplyDeleteThat's so true!
DeleteSorry about Fat Boy's but I like the treatment you got at Olive Garden. I have never tried AI. Glad you intended Bible study. Hope you have a great week.
ReplyDeleteYou do the same, Debby!
Deletethecontemplativecat here. When I read about Gomer years ago I was astounded. What an idea, to be a prophet and a prostitute couple. We haven't been to Olive Garden in ages. Salmon and broccoli sounds like an interesting combination. I would love it.
ReplyDeleteI know, right. Incredulous!
DeleteMyra, now I think I have to jump into Hosea and do a little study of my own. Thanks for the "Poke".
ReplyDeleteYour question is one to think about and chew on a bit. I really love everyone's answers, especially Victor's.
hugs
Sue
Me, too!
DeleteI looked up alternative uses for the work prostitute and got this: . The term can also be used as a verb to mean misusing or selling one's talents, skills, or integrity for a base, unworthy, or purely mercenary purpose. I think we probably all do that at least a few times in our lives. Interesting question, Myra! xo
ReplyDeleteThanks, Terri! xo
DeleteI am no fan of AI, but it is here and there is nothing I can do about it.
ReplyDeleteI know I misuse my time often. Like spending time on the computer when I could be doing better things.
I frequently fall down that rabbit hole.
DeleteGirl oh girl, not Boy oh Boy, LOL your friend Brenda sure stirred the pot. Yeah, I too looked up the word as a verb and yea tend to go with Victor, he can express things more weller than I. LOL Good one.
ReplyDeleteWE enjoy Olive GArden on occasion also..
Yes, sirree!
DeleteOur Mike is named Chris, we have used him for 10 years. 5 or 6 years ago we got a new HVAC. when he came to fix our 13 year old AC he said, this thing has another few years, it is a commercial one and its cheaper to do a repair once a year that to buy a new one and in 4 years these new ones you will be doing one on it. they don't make them like this anymore. We went 4 more years on the one and replaced it when it was almost 18 years old. in 4 years he came twice, to repair for a total of 300 dollars.
ReplyDeleteI use Google AI and ChatGPT and neither is personal. that is probably because I don't treat it like a person. I might try that and see if it follows my cue. I have changed how I talk to it, becuase of reading here what you ask. I am planning to ask for help redecorating by thrift store. and what would fit in the room .