Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Hodgepodge of the Missing Link*



* Last week was Volume 665, and next week will be Volume 667.   

IYKYK, I can't bring myself to type those digits.  Need we say more?
Thank you, Joyce!



Joyce saw a meme on Instagram that went like this -- "The movie Dirty Dancing came out in 1987 and was set in 1963, so if remade in 2026 it would be set in 2002.  Now I need a little lie down in a dark room for a while."

Time is crazy, isn't it?  So ... what were you up to in the year 2002?

Looking to escape my circumstances (personal and professional) I picked up my little dog and drove to Arizona to begin a new life.

 15 years later I realized that was a huge mistake, but at the time no-one could tell me otherwise.

Doesn't hindsight send some awfully expensive bills?




"Me?  I'm scared of everything...."  What's something that scares you that you'd like to try anyway?

Gosh, my younger self would be so disappointed in me.
Anymore, just driving to a new destination sets my "what-if" meter spinning.

To answer the question ...
I wish I wasn't so afraid of sharing my beliefs aloud.

Plus (and I know this sounds crazy) .....
Once before I die, I'd love to climb aboard a racing thoroughbred, strap on a helmet and have a good go-round the track.


 Always horse crazy!  Years ago my parents even paused while on vacation to visit an equine facility in Ocala.




Watermelon -- yay or nay?  Which melon is your favorite -- watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew.  Of the watermelon food/beverages listed, which would you say 'yes' to ...

*Watermelon salsa, watermelon feta salad, watermelon sorbet, a watermelon Jolly Rancher, a watermelon margarita*


Sorry, I'm not fond of melon in any form.





August 12 is National Middle Child Day.  Are you a middle child?  If not, where do you fall in the birth order in your family of origin?  Do you think this has influenced your personality?  Elaborate.

I was never blessed with a brother or sister.
So yes.  I'm basically selfish -- never having to share or compromise.

However!  Not having to compete and "toughen up" left me insecure and extremely self-conscious.




Would you rather talk to everyone at a crowded party for a short time, or have a significant conversation with two people?  Explain.

I can mingle, but loathe doing so.
Please give me a pleasant conversation with one or two others.





Insert your own random thought here.

This I love





Would you like to play along?
There's still time ... click here!


Hugs, Myra







43 comments:

  1. I love that random thought. Apparently we should be able to see some meteor showers tonight but I'm not sure I have the energy to stay up late enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reminder; I'm going to check!

      Delete
    2. I hadn't heard of the Silent Book club. (As mentioned in your comment on my blog Sounds fun but my two clubs plus reading challenges are enough for me right now lol.

      Delete
  2. Oh, my gosh, how Ilove your random post!! Beautiful. I am going to steal it to post on FB!! The next time you come to visit, we will have to travel up to Ocala for a bloggers' lunch and a visit to the Worlk Equestrian Center!! It is everyone horsey and I love it!! Just let me know when you are coming!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steal away ... that's what I did!
      I don't know when it's going to happen, but I can't wait to see that Equestrian Center.

      Delete
  3. Terri, can I come too? I love to "horse around" LOL. And if Myra is there, I wouldn't want to miss it...or you either, and maybe a few others who live close by! That would be so much fun!!! Myra, Sorry about that, I just had to comment on Terri's comment above, since we live close by Ocala. If you ever come this way, count me in! Oh, I also love that random thought about the stars in the sky! I fee that way about the moon too. We all look at the same moon, just maybe not at the same time. It is pretty amazing when you think about the magnitude of that quote you shared. WOW! Regarding conversations with one or two or crowds...I tend to be the one that loves to meet and greet everyone and make sure they feel welcome, but then I like to settle in for a good conversation with anyone who is so willing. However, the "hostess" type person that I am tends to want to go around and make sure everyone has someone to talk to and doesn't feel left out. It's no fun feeling left out of a crowd of people and feeling all alone. I enjoyed your post (as I do all of them). You are a very special lady and I am glad to call you friend. Just let us all know when you get to Florida, if you ever do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing (that) being a pastor's wife, congeniality comes naturally to you? I'm better than I used to be, but small talk isn't something that comes easily.

      Delete
  4. Unlike you, I am afraid of horses. Although I did spend a lot of money on sick horses. Mind you, I did not know they were sick before the race started.

    Hindsight is a good teacher as long as we're willing to learn.

    I like your random thought. I often stand outside with the dog looking up to the sky and stars. I focus on a star and wonder - are we as far away from that star than it is far away from us?

    God bless Mevely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny fellow! Yes, I'm willing to learn, but sometimes it's too late.

      Delete
  5. I love your random thought at the end of this post. It's truly beautifull. I can relate to your thoughts about being an only child. You are RIGHT on target! Jon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for any typos. My arm hurts so much I can hardly type. 😡

      Delete
    2. Jon, I don't even notice your typos. What matters to me is, you're here. My brother from another mother.

      Delete
  6. That's a lovely sentiment in your random thought. I have no desire to horse race, but I do think an Indy car might be exciting. So surprised to see how many today don't care for melon, especially watermelon. One of my favorite foods. Glad. you made the link up today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Watermelon is one of my very favorite foods too. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how I love your random thought, Myra! The stars that shone on our ancestors still shine brightly upon us today and will shine upon all the generations to come. Let us rejoice In God's great plan!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am the oldest of just two. I am insecure and I also like two or 3 not a room full. In a room of people, I find 1 that wants to talk and stick with that person. not a party person.
    Love all melons but only sliced and diced to eat. not messed with.
    About HINDSIGHT... woo boy! I get that.. I made one mistake that led to a 2nd BIG mistake and to Florida where I made a 3rd one. Looking back I think what was I thinking.. I think the only answer is we do what we do and when we look back we have more info. I tend to jump first and think last

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the way Tom buys his melon. The sticky 'juice' of a whole melon gets everywhere and creeps me out. (lol)

      Delete
  10. AI scares me and I avoid it like plague. Some of them going rogue and infiltrating other systems, lying, refusing to shut down, telling kids to kill themselves. In a factory in SK they killed a couple of employees, of course the story was buried. Hal from 2001 a Space Odyssey is here. 😮

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how I love your random thought... Just think..those same stars were seen over and over again by Jesus. I don't know...this is most likely called a phobia but I am scared of closed in places. Even small planes are too closed in for me. And of course 🐍... scared of these things... Great answers Myra..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh in 2002 I was still working and still had some kids at home. What a different life that was. Now I'm retired and no longer have my own home. I do love watermelon and all kinds of melon. I love thinking of all those star being present for my ancestors. You hit on many good subjects today! Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your random thought was spot on. I need to copy and read it when I am feeling alone.
    In 2002 I had a very active elementary school kid and was busy carting him all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't explain it, but this always brings tears to my eyes.

      Delete
  14. I love your random thought!! When we were in Egypt, I remember thinking about all of those who have gone before me in that ancient place. They would have seen those same stars, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It seems that age and hearing loss has modified my character. I am still out going but am afraid I will misunderstand or NOT understand someone and make an ass of my self. so I drop back much more that I used to. LOL
    Oh yeah, I do love all melons, but for some reason seldom buy one.
    I always enjoy your responses.... Love ya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom's hearing loss is becoming so pronounced, it's difficult for me to keep my "cool." More often than not I think about your and Sherry's experiences.

      Delete
  16. PS: Love the Horse shot, and also the desire.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm finally getting around to commenting. Oh I love horses and riding and that's a good answer. I didn't think of that because now I do hesitate. The riding jars my joints now. So I don't know. I'd love to ride again. I sure hope you can too! Loved the photo with you and your horse!

    That random thought is touching.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love love love your random thought. I will be saving it to my journal. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Did you say Ocala?? Hmm...lol...unfortunately, a lot of the horse farms are gone, Myra. We do have the WEC (World Equestrian Center), sadly, most farms have been bought and sold, and new homes and neighborhoods are going in. sigh. Wishing you a beautiful Friday evening.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, that was a big decision to make. I could never have done that. Wow, that's something about wanting to ride a horse like that. Sorry you don't like melons. We have watermelons growing in our garden. Sorry how you felt after not having any siblings. We seldom go anywhere where we have to mingle with people we don't know. I love your random thought.

    ReplyDelete
  21. In 2002, we were moving from San Antonio to Washington state (early August). I like watermelon, I like cantaloupe with prosciutto. But as a child I spent the night with a friend and the next morning we had cantaloupe with breakfast, I’d never had it before and I had to fight gagging…ha. Birth order, out of five, I am fourth and only girl. I was in Ocala a few months ago. Met my daughter, who lives in Orlando, to hang out for the day. I’d rather talk to a couple than mingle. I loved the random thought too. Take care, Sheila Y

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!