![]() |
| 6 o'clock Coosada sky |
Thank you, Joyce!
... and thank you, friends, for joining me here today.
What's something on your August calendar you're looking forward to? Or dreading, if that's easier to answer.
My "Gatherers" friends have chosen to try a new-to-us restaurant in downtown Wetumpka. I'm always up for a different setting and girl chat.
Sorry, I'm not a fan of either.
Tell us about a time when you felt the world was your oyster?
That would be the 1981-1983-ish years.
I looked my best and felt my best ... living in a perfect little West Texas community and working at a job I adored.
It was the Best of Times.
Trip Advisor lists seven islands in the US that require no passport (for US citizens). Have you been to any of the seven? Let's pretend you get an all-expense paid trip to one this month.
Catalina Island, CA -- Martha's Vineyard, MA -- Mackinac Island, MI -- Key West, FL -- South Padre Island, TX -- Kauai Hawaii -- or San Juan Islands, WA
Hmmm. I've already been to Catalina, Mackinac, Key West and Kauai.
"All expense-paid" you say?
In that case I'm choosing Martha's Vineyard -- and spend like one of the "star studded" denizens. Ha!
No, seriously. My father's family was originally from Massachusetts, but I've never visited far from the Boston metro.
Agree or disagree? In other words, how do you feel about this month?
With apologies to any "birthday babies" out there, August may be my least favorite of the 12.
Insert your own random thought here.
Is anyone else already thinking of Christmas?
Too soon?
Anyone who knows me well, knows I'm always on the look-out for novel, one-of-a-kind gifts.
And while our little family no longer exchanges Christmas gifts, that doesn't stop me from looking.
Perhaps, this nugget might appeal to someone you know. Best, it's free!
I'm talking about turning a loved one's handwriting into a font.
(From Komando.com)
"You can take a single page of your loved one’s handwriting and turn it into a font that works in Word forever. A son used this free tool to preserve his mother’s handwriting as Parkinson’s slowly took it away."
* * *
Stay safe and (in the words of my fav movie line)
Have a day!
Myra



I also chose Martha's Vineyard and would love to go someday!
ReplyDelete👍
DeleteHave a lovely time at the new restaurant.
ReplyDeleteI am not a fan of oysters either.
No! All my families birthdays are over the next month when they are done with, then I will start thinking about Christmas!
👍
DeleteNot really thinking about Christmas yet, except that this is usually the month I start picking up small gifts for my adult kids, nothing major. But the decorating and all - nope. I hold my horses till the day after thanksgiving.
ReplyDelete👍
DeleteYou really are very clever at finding and sharing new technology with us. A program that creates a WORD font from our handwriting. What a brilliant idea and a great Christmas gift. Especially if they don't know what you're planning. Just ask them to fill in the sheet with their handwriting; and give them the gift nearer Christmas. And it's FREEEEE.
ReplyDeleteGod bless you Mevely. I like visiting here. Always something new.
Thank you so much!
DeleteI am an August baby, but like you...August is my least favorite month with July being the 2nd. What a grand idea of creating the font. I love this!! You know..Christmas is certainly just around the corner and I have promised myself that I'm going to go simple this year. I hope you and. your friends enjoy not only a wonderful meal, but tons of great conversations...
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday month!!!
DeleteYah, today I am having a day !!
ReplyDeleteSeems when things appear to be going smoothly up pops a dent ... more paperwork for a business situation ...it kept both Dave and awake a good part of last night.
I am having trouble getting into some of my regular links and some of my blogging friends too.
This kind of thing just gives me a headache !
I dislike August !!! Too hot, too many stumbling blocks, kids already back in school and the bills keep rising. Ok ... enough, Why do I keep giving everything over to God and then take it back again? Guess my humanness shows. It really will be just fine in the end.
Love your answers and seeing your family photos.
Hugs
Sue
So glad I'm not a lone ranger. Let's keep propping one another back up!
DeleteYour dad is originally from Massachusetts? Both my parents hailed from there, Myra! Is this a small world, or what? Yes, I've been to Martha's Vineyard once or twice, but to Nantucket multiple times. My mom was actually born on that island, believe it or not, as her grandparents owned an inn there at the time. Long since passed out of the family. Cute photo of your dad and his siblings, too.
ReplyDeleteThat's so cool!
DeleteI bet it would be interesting to visit Martha's Vineyard, but I'd probably choose Mackinack Island. It just sounds like a place I'd love. Re: August birthdays, we have a lot of extended family August birthdays and anniversaries, so we who live here in Florida all get together in August for a family celebration. We chose August to get married 57 years ago. Not sure what we were thinking, because it was hot then and it's hot now! Reminds me of the song "We got married in a fever, hotter than a pepper sprout." LOL. Oh, the idea of turning your mother's handwriting into a font is certainly a novel idea. Although my mother's handwriting was pretty hard to read even though she didn't have any particular reasons except that she took shorthand and was a very good secretary, and her letters often looked like her shorthand pad and they were hard to interpret from time to time. LOL. I don't think I'd want a font like that one! Maybe my father's. His was much neater, or my sweet son Matthew's...he was a draftsman and wrote/printed so very neatly. Hmm, that's a thought. Anyway, I love your post, and the picture of your father and siblings. So neat to have that picture. I hope you have a lovely rest of your week.
ReplyDeleteI remember that song! You know, I took shorthand for years ... now, it's like a secret code. LOL!
DeleteI've been perusing Christmas pjs for the grands because I've learned if I want matching to buy early as things go fast. That's as much as I've done though which feels like enough for August. The handwriting is a neat thing to have. I have some recipes and cards my mom has sent or given me over the years and I like seeing her writing. My dad's too. Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteI always longed to have pretty "penmanship" like my mother. (*sigh*)
DeleteHope you enjoy the new restaurant. Glad you had the best of times in 1981-1983. Wow, you've been to so many of those places. That's awesome. Yes, I'm thinking about Christmas but only because I'm not sure if I can do it this year because of my health issues. It's my favorite time of year.
ReplyDelete👍
DeleteThis seems to have been a very popular Hodgepodge, as my feedreader is filled with several spins on the answers. I love your tip about turning someone's handwriting into a font, and will check out the link.
ReplyDelete👍
Deletethecontemplativecat here. this was an awesome post. Meant so much to me. I must find out more about the Word program.
ReplyDelete' "August rain: the best of the summer gone, and the new fall not yet born. The odd uneven time."
That last sentence is really something, isn't it!
DeleteWow! Love the picture of your dad and siblings that one is a prize!
ReplyDeleteAnd then there would be Catalina Island, CA, I am sure we have never been there. I would just love the trip!
I enjoyed the whole read, and
THANKS!
🤗
DeleteI begin thinking of next Christmas December 26 and don't stop until Dec.24.
ReplyDeleteSoul sista!
DeleteI am going to check out the handwriting font thing! Thanks for sharing it. Those old photos are priceless, and many of mine have my dad's writing on the back, telling who the people in the picture are (also priceless!). Another fun Hodgepodge!! I enjoyed your answers, Myra! xo
ReplyDeleteYou've just given me an idea! 💛
DeleteI am an August baby but it is not my favorite month. It's much too hot to celebrate in August! Enjoy the new restaurant!
ReplyDelete🫠
DeleteI hope you enjoy the new restaurant, and I'm looking forward to reading about it. ❤️
ReplyDelete💛
DeleteI'm not August baby, but I am so over it, already, LOL. Wishing you a beautiful day. smiles
ReplyDelete🥵 right!
DeleteI'm enjoying a trip to visit family in Ohio. We have been celebrating my granddaughters birthday this week and DS#5 has one this weekend, We'll party for him before I go home on Sunday, back to Texas where it's still hot! I hate that summer is ending. but in Texas it will be here yet for a few months. NO CHRISTMAS shopping for me, I send gift cards now.
ReplyDelete👍
DeleteI want to see Wetumpca, I remember the show I liked when they were redoing the town
ReplyDeleteYou wouldn't believe what it looks like now. We've learned so much of it was faked. Sort of spoils it for me ... but I hope you will come let me take you for a walk!
Deleteoh my goodness - the handwriting to font is so cool!!
ReplyDeleteIsn't it neat? Unfortunately, both my parents have been gone for years and years, but I always admired their handwriting.
Delete