… er, I should say, a new hostess.
Thank you for keeping the tradition alive, Katsumi!
For years I was a devotee of Sue Grafton's 'alphabet' series. Nowadays I enjoy mixing it up with Deaver, Baldacci ... or my latest fav, Mike Omer (Zoe Bentley series).
The first week of October is also National Chili Week. Do you plan on celebrating with a bowl of red? Have a top secret recipe to share?
Can't help myself. I'm totally a seasonal eater.
If our temps ever lesson, I might open a can of Hormel. (*smile*)
Seriously, for me it has to be c-o-l-d to thoroughly enjoy a pot of red. I'm looking forward to seeing what other Meddlers share!
In high-school my Rambler station wagon (a huge source of embarrassment) was called Mergatroid. Later, I named my Corvette after an Italian ship's captain, Cesare.
Today is also National Walk to School Day. Did you walk to school with your friends?
Yep. Uphill (both ways) through the elements. Only once in 12 years was the snowfall so deep, we girls were permitted to wear slacks.
During my junior year, gorgeous Gordon (*blush*) asked to walk with me and carried my books.
And it is National Pumpkin Seed Day. Do you like pumpkin seeds? Do you carve the pumpkin and roast the seeds? Do you buy packaged, prepared pumpkin seeds? Or, (are you) more of a pumpkin spice person.
I've never tasted a pumpkin seed. But right about now I'd kill for a slice of Cheesecake Factory's pumpkin! Tom thoroughly dislikes the flavor, so there's no use trying a 'copycat' recipe.
Please tell us something interesting about your week.
Gosh, I'm stumped!
So far, we're really enjoying The Voice and the Chicago trilogy. Are you surprised/disappointed at any season premiers?
A few pictures perhaps?
A few pictures perhaps?
My office (from corporate website). It's not nearly as large as this lens depicts.
My view from behind the desk. A little football, anyone?
A few garlands from the Dollar Tree, an old pillar candle, DIL's trifle bowl and voila' … it's autumn in the dining room.
NOT loving this weather!
Before he left to join the Witness Protection Program, our weatherman posted: "Today's high of 101 not only broke the record for this date, it's also the hottest temperature ever recorded in October in Montgomery."
We haven't had a lick of rain in so long, what remains of our lawn audibly crunches when you step on it.
Ah well. Color me trying not to stress.
So, I was told Friday not to report to work until day after tomorrow (Th/Fr/Sa shift). But! I just got a text from the office manager stating I'm scheduled to work tomorrow through Saturday. I'll have to see if she doesn't remember that 3-day workweek we discussed.
Finally, from (an anonymous) Facebook post ...
This made me laugh soooo hard. Maybe it will do the same for you?
“Well, I guess you could say there is another store I will be avoiding for a while.
Went to grab some makeup wipes and took them up to the counter to pay. As per my usual self, I thought I’d make conversation and asked the clerk if she had ever tried them. She gave me an odd look.
So, I continued on saying I cook in a restaurant and feel greasy throughout the day so I like to freshen up. Should have stopped talking at this point but no.
Then, I said it’s so handy to have these so you can just whip them out and use them anywhere. This whole time she never said a word, so I paid and told her to have a good day. Still no response.
Got home from work last night and took them out of the bag. And that’s when I realized OMG I’m mortified. I laid in bed thinking of everything I had said to this poor woman.
So, now I’m thinking should I go back and explain myself or find a new drugstore.”
Went to grab some makeup wipes and took them up to the counter to pay. As per my usual self, I thought I’d make conversation and asked the clerk if she had ever tried them. She gave me an odd look.
So, I continued on saying I cook in a restaurant and feel greasy throughout the day so I like to freshen up. Should have stopped talking at this point but no.
Then, I said it’s so handy to have these so you can just whip them out and use them anywhere. This whole time she never said a word, so I paid and told her to have a good day. Still no response.
Got home from work last night and took them out of the bag. And that’s when I realized OMG I’m mortified. I laid in bed thinking of everything I had said to this poor woman.
So, now I’m thinking should I go back and explain myself or find a new drugstore.”
Y'all have a great rest of the week ... stay safe!
Hugs, Myra







Mystery Series Week? I always loved the Hercule Poirot series on PBS and still watch re-runs.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you - I can't warm up to a bowl of chili when it's 95 degrees. My Mom made great homemade chili. You've inspired me to look for her recipe.
I always walked to school. Never rode a bus. In high school it was three miles one-way. I'd never make it nowadays with my bad back and leg...
I devoured pumpkin seeds when I was a kid.....not too fond of them now.
Your office is very impressive. I got out of breath just looking at that long distance to your desk.
I never imagined Vagisil would give me a laugh, but it did....
Your makeup wipes story is a hoot! You can't make stuff like that up.
ReplyDeleteI agree about your new brand of make up wipes- that was so funny.
ReplyDeleteDid you read Nancy Drew - I loved them.
I love the Cheesecake Factory - have you ever tried their hot fudge sundae- it is the best thing you have ever eaten.
I like chili - but no one can make it like my mom did.
Your office looks huge.
You had Mergatroid and I still have Betsy!
Have a good day. sandie
Oh how humiliating about the wipes and you kept digging yourself in deeper! I read several mystery series (Andrea Camilleri, Donna Leon, Louise Penny, Michael Connelly, and more).
ReplyDeleteOh ha ha, that was not you with the wipes, but something you read on Facebook. Hysterical though.
ReplyDeleteLOL with the wipes :) I won't say it was cooler today here in Phoenix. I think we topped out at 87 degrees and there was actually a 10 hour period of time when the AC didn't run! We woke up to 64 degrees this morning :) I've been reading a few mysteries here and there. They are interesting reading, but I always want to read ahead to figure out who did it. We have named most of our previous cars, these 2 present ones just go by what their model is. Versa and Rogue. I guess we have gotten less imaginative as we have aged! Hope you get your schedule worked out at work but the office does look nice!
ReplyDeletebetty
Truly, truly mortifying moment with those wipes, Myra! Hope your FB friend was able to recover.
ReplyDeleteYour office looks welcoming just as it should, and I do love your autumn centerpiece, though it feels NOTHING like fall here in the south. Record highs here, too, but nothing like the horrible 101 you all just endured. Praying for a change in this weather.
Blessings, and Happy Wednesday!
I am really annoyed about the Vagisil story. This is the sort of thing I expect to read on my Blog. I am so angry that I did not think of it first. Next time you have some brilliant stories like these let me know so I can work them into one of my posts. Although, come to think of it, would that upset my lady readers, do you think?
ReplyDeleteTry pumpkin seeds purchased ready from a health shop either as a snack or with muisli. Also sunflower seeds, or sesame seeds.
I only name my car when it refuses to start. I use many names not to be repeated here.
I love your office. It looks grand.
God bless.
I am so glad you accidently turned me on to Kindle Unlimited. I have read so many wonderful new mysteries series. I love T.J. Brearton and Melinda Leigh. and I did read the Zoe Bentley series to.
ReplyDeleteROFLA on that last FB story. sounds like me. I do make chili like my mother did, it is very MILD and I ONLY eat it during cold weather. we may not get any chili this year. yowsa on all the heat, 18 states had record breaking heat yesterday per our weather guy who did not go in witness protection yet.. he is busy telling us OCTOBER has had 31 hurricanes that hit FL since 1870. your office is pretty and I thought the dining room décor was in your office. great job for your table.
ps I also walked up hill both ways to school. we lived at the foot of a mountain, the school was at the foot of the mountain but on the other side. up and over and down both ways was the quickest. around that mountain was an hour walk.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteOur temps were record breaking here for October 1st, but on the bright side it is to cool down in the 60's by Friday. That gives me hope. I do love mystery stories and like them tinged with a little romance too. I cannot hardly believe your face wipe story, oh dear...Bet you take a 2nd look next time. I did walk to school when I was young. Matter of fact we also walked home for lunch and back to school again. We used to be much more active than the kids of today. Now most schools have a cafeteria and you stay at school all day. Hope you get your schedule straightened out I like the idea of a 3 day work week for you.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! That is hysterical! Thank you for the laugh.
ReplyDeleteIt is hot here today along the NJ seashore too but then temps will go down again. That story was very funny.
ReplyDeleteNot a fan of pumpkin seeds myself!
LOL on that last bit! So funny and so embarrassing! I enjoyed your Medley today! Glad Katsumi has taken over!
ReplyDeleteWe are the same with Chili, let it be cold outside.
ReplyDeleteYep we walked to school. Kids that lived in the country were bused.
I do not know of anyone who was driven to school. Here even if buses run parents seem to drive their kids to school. Amazing they line up an hour before school is out and block the roads.
I always enjoy the visit here. NICE office lady.
Take care, WE be worn out.
Sherry & jack
LOLOL Thanks, I just about spat out my coffee,lololol....anyways--I left you a comment on your FB; 45* and pouring rain this morning...(ducking grin)
ReplyDeleteI do like some good chili (though these days my stomach doesn't always agree with what I like). I can make up a good batch of chili, but since I've been mostly cooking for myself of late I don't make batches of anything. Maybe when my wife is able to stay a few days I'll make up some chili since she likes my chili.
ReplyDeleteArlee Bird
Tossing It Out
Enjoyed reading your post.
ReplyDeleteWe still watch Murder She Wrote on TV. Love it! Read lots of Janet Evanovich and Lillian Jackson Braun The Cat WHo Series....LOL! We have been on the run entertaining Jake taking him to places here, the zoo, the aquarium, Estes Park. We went to Casa Bonita, talk about bad Mexican food hahaha. But the atmosphere especially for kids is great! The hubby made a batch of red chili because we had a brief but cold snow last week. Jake is going to make his special Shepherds Pie. Feminine products scare people! LOL! That was crazy! Someone told me once if your dog gets skunked, you can A) give them a tomato juice bath or B) bathe them in the feminine product that cleanse (douche). I guess the person boughtout the grocery store late one night...lol the cashiers face, was priceless.Today they say a quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide with a 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1 tsp. liquid dishwashing soap! There you have it! HUGS
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete