Monday, October 7, 2019

I Am (I said ...)




I am ...
Sorry for not responding to comments last week!  While it's not a physical gig, my new part-time job's doing a number on what remains of my vim n' vigor.

I am ...
Concerned about our (desktop) computer.  It's been inordinately slow and freezing up. Then, last evening the screen suddenly went all 'disco ball' - flashing bright colors in my eyes and (seemingly) vibrating.  You know, the kind stuff that induces seizures. 
.

I am ...
Sooo confused about this job!  After 6 work days I thought I'd have a better grasp on things -- including my feelings.  Like I said, almost all my coworkers are very nice. In fact, we part-timers are all senior citizens; the Sunday/Monday/Tuesday gal turns 80 y/o next month!  

Some of the people who stop by, however, not so much. Saturday morning one "lady" took me to task for not being able to quickly pinpoint the location of her grandparent's grave sites.  Helllllo, 'Karen.'  We've almost 46,000 grave sites … and nothing is digitized. Finally, when another admin couldn't help, the GM came out and said he'd take them where they wanted to go.

I certainly don't think I'm above filing -- but darn uncomfortable when that involves standing on ladders to reach contents of WWII-era filing cabinets. (Note: Terrified of twisting my ankle I've since bought two pair of flat-soled shoes.)  Between 3 of us admin, we're in the process of digitizing burial records … some dating back to 1901!

I'm not ready to throw in the towel, but your thoughts are sure welcome. 

I am ...
Loving this new 'gunpowder' seasoning!  More so than Tom, I been using it on practically everything.

"A charcoal smokey flavor"


I am ...
Smiling, remembering my late uncle-the-mortician's sense of humor.  Until I met one of the funeral directors here, I believed Uncle Edric was the funniest human in the history of ever.

While it's not my intent to disrespect the industry, (I think) gentle humor helps diffuse a lot of tensions. For instance: I was shown where keys are kept to the hearse … in duplicate.  It seems, while at the grave site, a certain director accidentally locked the keys in the hearse and they couldn't open the back to remove the coffin! (Oh y'all … I can't even!)

I am ...
Cheering myself up, just talking to y'all.  Seriously. Thank you for listening.  Computer-willing, I'll try to get a 'Part II' up later this week.  
… Meanwhile, there's an empty glass, just begging for a gin and tonic. 

Have a sweet Tuesday … stay safe!

Hugs, Myra

33 comments:

  1. Gosh, Myra. It takes more than six days to settle in. Going back to work isn't an easy transition either, so add that to learning the ropes and you are at least at two months to begin to feel comfortable. BUT... follow your gut. If it is stealing your joy, it isn't worth it. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter the job, what seems a slam dunk from the outside has a lot of EXTRA little things that get in the way.
    In this day it is strange that someone in business is just now digitizing records.
    WATCH THAT LADDER!
    And ouch about the keys to the hearse! I am reminded of the time my sister Shirl bummed a ride in a hearse to work. Our friend a mortician was making a pickup in the snow and was going by her office. She was a card and wanted to climb out the back. Snow in NC is an attention getter and all the office was at the window watching the snow when she arrived. She and they loved it.
    Take care and shucks, just enjoy yourself. I hope after a few more days I hope you find it a FIT, if not hey...... It is your life.
    Love ya!
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a funny story about Shirl and the hearse! You make me wish I'd have had an opportunity to know her.

      Delete
  3. PS: He opened the back and slid her out lying down, she jumpte up hugged him and went to work with her office makes standing with their mouths open. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ironically, my desktop computer has been exhibiting symptoms very similar to yours. It's gotten to the point where I can't use it. Thank goodness for my laptop (knock wood....).

    As for your job, I have mixed feelings - but I don't want to be an influence. You know the situation far better than I.
    One of your other readers has aptly pointed out that it takes a lot longer than six days to catch on to something new. It's inevitable that everything is frustrating at the beginning.

    I'm wondering (and it's really none of my business) if the job is needed for financial reasons, or do you merely have a desire to be back in the work-force and be productive.

    Sometimes it feels boring to be "idle" at home - - and yet there are many benefits in being stress-free and doing what you want at your leisure.

    My thoughts probably won't be of any help - I have complete confidence that you'll make the right decision.

    I never heard of Gunpowder seasoning, but long ago I once had Gunpowder herbal tea (I'm not kidding). It was awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (wow, my comment was too long!!)

      Delete
    2. Uh-uh, Jon. In the words of Mr. Joel, "Don't go changing." (Please)
      Of course, it's your business. Mostly, my life is an open book. It's 1/2 and 1/2: I enjoy waking up and having an agenda; but at the same time I enjoy having extra 'pin money' to dine out more often, or seriously consider a long weekend at the beach.

      Delete
  5. I dated a mortician once and after we picked up a dead body on a date I realized it was probably not for me.
    Myra I have been working all my life - not for money, but raising a family. Then I raised my grandson who is now 18. It hasn't stopped yet.
    So for me I am looking forward to retirement.
    I should work for money - but I am not.
    I think pray about it. Ask God. Give it a chance. If you want to stay - stay and if not quit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prayers is always a wise choice. Thank you for reminding me, dear one!

      Delete
  6. Persevere. Your job will get easier with time. It took me 25 years to get to know my job properly!

    Praying for you.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As ever, thank you for being my morale booster! Prayers are ALWAYS appreciated.

      Delete
  7. Hang in there, girl. I've been at my job for a little over a year and there are still days when my boss or events have me questioning my competency. I try to remember that other folks have bad days, too, and it is often likely that it's them, not me.

    I hear you on the humor. It's like that in the dementia unit. We certainly mean no disrespect to the residents, but sometimes you have to laugh so you don't cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Has it already been over a year already! Good point to remember, (that) others may unintentionally be passing on their own bad moods.

      Delete
  8. The ladder would bother me otherwise I too don't mind filing. I kind of like it with putting things in order. You ate kind of like in a retail position as you are selling something lol so you will have to deal at times with disgruntled clients. But all in all take some things into consideration. Is it worth all the effort it is causing you to work there? Life is short as your industry reminds us. You are perhaps at the point where you could be choosy where you work. And there is always that old adage. Pray about it. Got to love humor on the job lol. Hang in there. You will make the right choice for you and Tom.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! I think having flat shoes will go a long way in making me feel safer. Climbing trees and stuff never used to bother me as a child. Now, by the 2nd step my 'what-iffer' slips into high gear.

      Delete
  9. here I am sister mine from another mother... first I will say, we both know the job will get easier over time. 2nd while drinking my coffee this morning before I read this post, I said to Bob, I am so glad I don't have to get up and go to a job. that I can go to the Y and get in the pool and if I don't want to I don't have to. I love having NO schedule. that made me think of YOU and is said to Bob who cares not one whit about what I was talking about, but then where could he go at 4 am. Ha ha. I said I am thinking about Myra and the new job she is not crazy about, and I just thought, now if hubby or dogs or herself has to have an appointment of any kind, she will have to FIT it in the days off or the days on... when I make an appt I know there is nothing on the calendar. I thought of this because I am dragging bob to eye doc appt....
    I know this is long but you know I am a long talking person.... in other worlds, look at why you are working. if it is to fill your time, then think hard about giving it up... you can find Bible study, exercise, all kinds of things to fill time.. love you....sorry about the computer. my desktop is 10 years old and on it's last leg or whatever computers have...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said to Jon, please don't go changing! I love your warm and witty comments! In case the PC goes over the edge, I've password protected our sensitive docs and downloaded to a flash drive.

      Delete
  10. Only you can know if this is the right job for you. It doesn't really sound bad at all to me. I'd say give it a little more time before you give up. Nice they do add some humor to a very seriously somber job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your job does sound challenging, Myra, though it has some bright spots, too. Give yourself time to adjust, and most of all, be kind to yourself. The computer? If it's getting up there in age, it just might be time to replace it. But I'd certainly have a tech person come out and look at it first. It just might need an upgrade.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your 2nd sentence, Martha! I've always been my own worse critic.

      Delete
  12. I think humor is very important in situations dealing with death and other serious issues. I've worked for a police department for 43 years and without a sense of humor, I'm not sure how I would have handled some of the things that have occurred. I do not think it is disrespectful if handled appropriately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Wow, 43 years! I'll bet you have witnessed some crazy situations.

      Delete
  13. sounds like an interesting job. hope your computer holds out. we've been having trouble with ours too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's been a loooooong time since I've worked a paying job outside of the home, so I dunno if I'd be thrilled with any kind of work that required me to change my daily routine of no-set-routine. Getting up before the butt crack of dawn because I WANT to is vastly different that getting up to the blare of an alarm clock because I HAVE to. But that's just me. Like everyone else has already said, give it some time. You're a smart lady, so you'll figure out if this is what you want to do or not. But if it sucks the joy out of your life, it isn't worth it.

    The humor is that line of work isn't at all surprising. There were times when I worked in the hospital lab that I had to go to the morgue to pick up samples. You wouldn't BELIEVE the awful humor we gals used on those treks to the morgue...

    And the hearse. One of my cousins got married right after she graduated from high school. I was in her wedding party, but I didn't think much of the groom. The major reason she married him? Because he had a cool Mustang. Funniest thing in the world? After they got married, he sold it and bought a... purple hearse. It was a hideous-looking thing, and Linda hated it. Needless to say, that marriage didn't last long...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG … I can't even wrap my mind around that purple hearse! Sounds like something right out of Haight Ashbury.

      Delete
  15. As the years go on I am always concerned with my older laptop. I would not want to stand on a ladder at all! Never heard of that seasoning. I think that humor is a good thing for the industry. Of course there is a time and place for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you try the gunpowder seasoning! I even tried it on my tossed salad last evening ... yummmm!

      Delete
  16. If anyone can do it--you can Myra...6 days is not long at all my friend. Thanks for the laugh over your They're here graphic, LOLOL.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooooh the seasoning! My SIL Zach and my hubby Ayery...they would love it! Jake too! Jake bought a freaking smoker while he is here. LOL! Eye roll on Zach's electric model hahaha! Jake is doing a brisket soon. I am unsure I should allow him to leave our house hahahaha! Oh the job, it will get easier but I have to say, climbing ladders, NO THANK YOU as Harrison James would tell me. Oh he would, but me, NO! I think prayer is the answer. I will be praying for you. We are like church mice but you know we have fun plus we have Rebekah and Zach here for the long haul. The hubby claims he will work as long as he is breathing. But when I lost my job and couldn't even find a crummy one, I decided something better must be in store. I was blessed to have Harrison with me three days a week for 2 years. My sadness overwhelms when when I think, if Alastor Avery had lived....But some things you have no control so.... it is what it is. All I know is P R A Y E R does work! 100%! Sorry for the lengthy comment but love to you and hoping the job will work for you. I am praying....HUGS

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!