Sunday, October 7, 2018

Reviews, Reflections ... and stuff




G'afternoon friends!   I hope everyone enjoyed a nice weekend?


  So, our company's come ….and gone on down the road again.  North to Chicago in one day's drive.  (12 hours?  No-thank-you- very-much!)  
It was actually a nice visit, but man!  If we'd done any more eating out I'd be shopping a new pants size.





Because I've enjoyed several HGTV episodes from nearby Lake Martin, I thought it might be fun to take that drive … but no.  I understand that's a 3-hour drive just around the southern perimeter.  Instead, we headed over for a lazy walk about Jackson Lake Island.  

 Annette and Jim, Tom's sis and BIL. 

We were able to get a few good photos ... but this … the expression on Tom's face sure cracks me up!
(It never occurred to me that I matched the tree.  LOL!) 

A few of the wild goats that roam the island.  So cute!


* * *

Six months+ into our new life.  Wow, time's flown!  Because Jim and Annette seemed genuinely interested in hearing our impressions, I thought I'd share a few here.   

Aside from the dadgum mosquitoes, the only 'con' I can think of is not having a garbage disposal.  Not a big deal, no ….. but it's taking forever to stop myself from automatically scraping food scraps down the drain.  Hard to teach this old dog new tricks!
  
Something else is not being able to find a 'real' Mexican food restaurant.  I've concluded the ones here aren't awful … just different from the TexMex we love.   One of my high school chums sent me the link to order authentic Hatch chili and Chimayo red pepper, so I'm going to try my hand at creating those dishes Tom loves right here on Chapman Road.  




How do I love thee Alabama?   Sooooo big!

I've learned, there really IS such a thing as getting to enjoy a cold shower in August! (Impossible in Phoenix.  Truth!)

Conecuh for the asking!  I've enjoyed my first tastes of fried green tomatoes, hot boiled peanuts, Duke mayonnaise ….. and just the other day, pimento cheese.   Funny, Tom and I thought the latter tasted a little like Velveeta (thumbs down), but the recipe actually calls for cheddar and cream cheese.  Whad'ya know?  I think another taste test is in order.
   
For those who've had occasion to relocate, are there any regional dishes you miss?   Any pleasant surprises?


* * *

Tomorrow morning I've a follow-up appointment with my endocrinologist; then we'll drop by the V.A. and see if Tom can't get a 'walk-in' CT scan.   Following his recent lung x-rays, Radiology discovered a couple suspicious spots - probably after-effects of the cancer -- but the doctors want to be sure.  Always stressful, you know?  Prayers are sure appreciated.

Until we chat again, have fun ... be safe!  

Hugs,
Myra





29 comments:

  1. Praying for you and Tom right now, Mevely.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackson Lake Island sounds like a lovely getaway - and I like those goats (I am tempted to get a herd of goats for my property).

    Good Mexican restaurants are indeed hard to find in this part of the country. I made burritos yesterday and ate too many too soon - my stomach feels lousy. But they were good!

    Sorry, but I dislike garbage disposals. I removed the one I had in TX. My place here in TN doesn't have one.

    I love pimento cheese (but, then, I love ANY kid of cheese).
    There are more mosquitoes this year than ever. They were scarce the first year I moved here.

    Prayers and positive thoughts for you and Tom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meant to say "kind" instead of "kid".
      My myopic eyes can't cope with small print.

      Delete
    2. I totally missed that, Jon! :)
      Not sure I miss the garbage disposal as I fear clogging up the septic tank; I've become a real Nazi about not letting ANYthing down the drain.

      Delete
  3. Myra, forget the pimento cheese and instead look for palmetto cheese. SO much better (and pricier). You many have to ask for it in the grocery. Publix carries it with other cheese. Joe misses good Italian bread from Philly. Praying for a good outcome for your sweet hubby. Do keep us posted. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of palmetto, but consulted Google and yes. I believe I've seen it! You know, my curiosities going to bug me until I try it! (*smile*)

      Delete
  4. Oh, I am feeling ya on the eating out this weekend! I said basically the same thing to Tim this afternoon as we were driving home. As for the regional stuff...you lost me on pimento cheese and boiled peanuts (gag!). Glad you had a fun weekend, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. … and wouldn't you know, we 'had' to stop at IHOP on the way back from labs today. It's a viscous cycle!

      Delete
  5. glad you enjoyed your weekend. prayers are headed your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First.. Thoughts and prayers for Tom. Love that guy and hope one day to meet you both.
    Funny, I have liked the name Annette since hearing it as the boys watched the MM club. One of my USMC friends wife's name. She was one of my fans. Loved my books. Of course I love the name. LOL
    Foods? I do miss some Good black beans & rice from Cuba and Key West!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, black beans and rice! I miss the Cuban coffee. Sure remember Annette F. from the MM Club … Cubby and Karen were my favs.

      Delete
  7. I love the picture of you and Tom! You both look really relaxed and like you are having a great time and enjoying life! That is what I think Alabama has done to you :) That is a very good thing!

    Having lived in Santa Fe New Mexico for 2 years, we were exposed to a lot of Mexican food and the red chili and green chili. We weren't natives because we always asked for the chili on the side (green hotter than red). I miss the potato burritos with the green chili on the side at the restaurant of course I can't remember the name of now, but 20 years later, I can still remember how delicious they were!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was it The Shed, Betty? That's been around forever, and is most popular. You're right about the green chili being hotter. We used to laugh at tourists who believed, probably because it was green, that it was the milder.

      Delete
  8. prayers for the spots to be nothing at all. I love the photo of you matching that tree and the funny hubby look. great shot... so glad you love AL and your visitors were a good visit. I was raised on pinmento cheese and it is a favrotie that I can't eat now, I did have it twice in the past 2 years. it must be made with sharp cheddar for me to like it. I don't like Velveeta. it has lots of pimento and may and sharp cheese, what is not to like? except the fat calories. hope the scan goes well. I love seeing your new life. I can cook my regional dishes but I don't because all of them a are full of bad things to eat. rice and tomato gravy, chicken and yellow rice, grits and cheese, fried chicken, gravy smothered steak and potaotes. see what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Yes, indeedy! Mayonaisse and sharp cheddar are staples in our house, so I can't figure why we thought it tasted like Velveeta. (yuk!)

      Delete
  9. I'm glad to see there are more pros than cons to your move. I will definitely be praying for both you and Tom and hoping for good reports for both of you on the doctor's visits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel SO stupid, Pam. After my appointment we drove over to the V.A. and discovered it was closed. Columbus Day. Oh well, another day, another drive!

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you had a nice visit. I like the photos. Wild goats! Are they friendly. I seldom use my garbage disposal. Yes I imagine there is a difference in the Mexican food. Arizona and Texas are the best. I didn't even think about showering in Arizona...your right! Can't get cold water at the sink in the summer here in CA. Hope all goes well at your appointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and don't forget New Mexico … home of the Hatch chili! Yes, the goats are super friendly; the sweeties love being petted.

      Delete
  11. I, too, love the picture of you and Tom. I am also praying for a good outcome from the CT scan. I am glad 'mosquito' season is behind us here in Kansas but I do miss the hot weather. I just don't understand why the cold months last longer. I am glad you guys are liking your new location.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paula! So funny! I was just counting the 'cold' weather months on my fingers, lamenting why the warm lasts so much longer.

      Delete
  12. You and Tom are both in my prayer app! We will all be praying here. We love Mexican food but we are prejudice because we both came from Pueblo, CO. and we feel that Mexican food is the greatest ever. I need to get back to this blogging business. I have been in a funk, not interested in getting much of anything accomplished. The colder weather is settling in way too early for me. but to be fair we need the moisture.Snow on Wednesday and Friday too and again on SONday! We keep hearing the winter is going to be brutal.Oh I love the garbage disposal. But we get use to specific things and it's hard to be without them. It sounds like you are having some great times since your move. I am guessing the weather in the South must be better than the dry heat you had in Arizona. We get dry heat here too. It is miserable but not quite to the same degree as the SW. SOmetime I will tell you about the time the hubby took a short cut (hahahaha) through the national forest near phoenix and delayed our arrival time by 3 hours! I hope you have a great week and thanks for stopping by the blog. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm soooo envious of your snow, Anne! Won't you huff and puff and send some our direction? :))))
      I'd LOVE to hear the story of your hubby's short-cut!

      Delete
  13. Seeing's as how it's Tuesday now, I hope you were able to get into the V.A. for that test, and all is well. I'm sending lots of positive energy your way.

    When we moved to GA from MD in '71, I was horrified at the lack of good fresh seafood, but the situation has improved greatly over the years. With the influx of so many immigrants, we've also gained a bunch of international farmers' markets, where you can buy just about any kind of food. (Love it!) And there are good restaurants here for just about any kind of ethnic food you can imagine. Now... it's more like Baltimore! (But hotter...)

    I'm glad you're happy in your new location. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! We totally spaced yesterday being a Federal holiday, so I think we'll try the VA again tomorrow. My dad hailed from New England, so I totally get what you mean about fresh seafood.

      Delete
  14. Praying all goes well for Tom. Great pictures of you two. If I make pimiento cheese I just use cheddar, mayo and pimiento. I tasted Ruth’s pimiento cheese a few months ago and I like it best of the premade store bought kind that I’ve tried so far. I’m biased being born and raised in Alabama but no matter where I live Alabama is home. Just moved to Lake City Florida from near Winston Salem NC. Take care, Sheila

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!