Wednesday, October 17, 2018

It's a Pumpkin Kind of Medley




Better late than never, right?   Today I'm joining with Terri to play Wednesday Medley.  If you'd like to join us, simply copy the questions (HERE), paste onto your post and have at it!

* * *

The Circleville, Ohio Pumpkin Festival begins today.  All things pumpkin are everywhere!  What is your one very favorite pumpkin flavored food or drink?  Do you wish it was available all year, or do you only want it in the Fall?

I've always considered myself a purist: A slice or two of pie at Thanksgiving and I'm good for the year.   
But! Pam recently shared a yummy-sounding dessert I'd like to make for our next family get-together:

Easy Pumpkin Dessert

1 15 oz. can pumpkin
3 eggs
4 tsp. pumpkin spice
1 12 oz can evaporated milk
1 c. sugar
1 box yellow cake mix
1/2 c. butter
3/4 c. walnuts, chopped

Mix together pumpkin, eggs, spice, milk and sugar and pour into a greased 9 by 13 pan.
Sprinkle dry cake mix on top
Pour melted butter over the top and then sprinkle with walnuts.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes until set.  Serve with ice cream or cool whip.

***


What product would you seriously stockpile if you found out they weren't going to sell it anymore?

It's a toss up between
or,



***

What is the most interesting thing you've seen online this week?

Bottle of wine sells for a record $558,000.
https://www.necn.com/news/business/Bottle-of-Wine-Sells-for-a-Record-558000-497589301.html

* * *


Is it better to be "a big fish in a small pond" or "a small fish in a big pond"?

By association, I'd have to say a big fish.  Thanks to my former hubby, I was able to experience some of the most amazing people and places.  Nevertheless R. was one of the most humble persons on the planet.  Through his example, I learned so much.

PS - There's nothing wrong with being a small fish ….. until you wake up one day and realize that despite one's own initiative, you're nothing but a number.

* * *

Terri's hubby has become obsessed with playing chess on the computer.  Do you play chess?  Are you good at it?

Bahahah!  Unfortunately, I'm not that intelligent.

* * *

Tell us something random about your week.

So, I don't normally walk around our house staring at the ceiling.  Maybe it was a "God nudge" that made me look up?


Tom wasted no time getting up in the attic and was seriously dismayed to realize this was not a new leak!  The previous owner had 'rigged' something or another and steadied it with heavy builders' cardboard.  Finally, the amount of water caused the cardboard to give way.   

I'm so disappointed the home inspection didn't catch this before closing.
… But so proud of Tom's efforts to make it right.
He couldn't figure out why his thighs hurt so bad!  

* * *



Dang, it's always something, but it could always be worse.

Thank you for being a friend … stay safe!

Hugs,
Myra












26 comments:

  1. I bet that pumpkin dessert is wonderful!! Hope you're able to fix your roof without too many issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow to Tom getting up on the roof. Yes, it could have been much worse in so many ways! Myra, thanks for joining in today! I may have found a FREE linky tool that I will try next week. That dessert sounds pretty good and easy to make. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, Terri! I wasn't a frequent contributor to the Hodgepodge, but I'm certainly enjoying your posers.

      Delete
  3. It is always something when you own a home....get one thing handled and another pops up-ugh! Good luck on the repairs-hope it’s a small $ fix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! Almost makes apartment living seem attractive, doesn't it?

      Delete
  4. Okay - I'm still reeling at the $558,000 bottle of wine. I'm the frugal-type person (synonym for "cheap)who thinks ten bucks is too much for a bottle of wine. I prefer to drink Walmart Vintage 2016.

    I suppose you're fortunate that the mysterious "spots" on your ceiling didn't look like Elvis...or Jesus.
    But seriously - it's an outrage that the inspector didn't notice it. I had a ceiling leak when I lived in Texas. My INTENSE fear of heights forced me to hire someone else to go on the roof to fix it.

    I have a passion for all things pumpkin. I love pumpkin bread, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin pudding, etc. etc.
    Pam's pumpkin dessert recipe sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Outrage, ya. Little to do about it now, but for sure we let our realtor know about the so-called inspector.
      My go-to wine is $9.99 Barefoot Cabernet … from Wal-Mart!

      Delete
  5. Shame on the owner for not disclosing it too. Glad you guys caught it relatively in time though! Wow on the price of the bottle of wine. Hubby always says we merely rent wine since it seems to go through us so quickly and then out the body. Can you imagine paying that much money?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? That's not the only thing the inspector didn't catch; the dishwasher wasn't even secured, bolted in! Oh, vey.

      That is soooo funny about renting the wine!

      Delete
  6. The problem with being a small fish is that they get put into tins. Sardines for instance, pilchards and anchovies. They would not be in a tin if they were big. Have you ever seen a whale in a tin? I make my point well !!!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. now I am humming thank your for being a friend, we heard it on TV last night and now it is stuck in my ear worm. your two choices to stock pile are mine also. I could live on those two items. and would not be happy living with out either one of those. if forced to pick one, it would be Peanut butter because it is food and the other is not... so sorry about the leak but happy the up on the rooftop hubby could fix it... I don't know about the big fish thing since I have always been a little one..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that song! In retrospect, I'm glad to have experienced a 'big fish' life … but I wouldn't want to repeat it. Like Pam says, I'm happy to be living in the SLOW lane.

      Delete
  8. Three cheers for Tom! And no, pumpkin has never been a favorite of mine. I know, I can hear the boos and hisses from the crowd as I write. :)
    Blessings, Myra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martha. My mother was always quick to remind me, this old world would be a dull place if we all liked the same things!

      Delete
  9. I do hope that recipe is as good as it sounds. I haven't tried it yet, but I don't think we could go wrong making it. My all time favorite is a pumpkin pie, but I do love all things pumpkin and have been drinking pumpkin spice coffee. I found a box of 32 k cups of it at the grocery yesterday for only 10.99 so now I'm all stocked up for the season. It was on off brand, but for that price I figured it was worth trying. Thanks for being my friend too! Your comments very often make my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks for saying that! Wow, that box of coffee is a super find. 'Hope you're enjoying it as much as the other?

      Delete
  10. That's crazy about the price of the wine!! Oh my, sorry about the leak. The dessert sounds yummy, thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Man, that bottle of wine would be wasted on me. I don't know enough about wine to know a "good one" if it bit me on the butt. Then again, maybe whoever bought it doesn't plan to drink it... maybe it's an investment. (I'd much rather have the money in the bank.)

    I'm not a big fan of pumpkin, but I do occasionally make a layered pumpkin cheesecake pie that is reeeeally good. Sugar-free, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, won't you share the recipe sometime? Cheesecake is something that can bring me to my knees!

      Delete
  12. Good read. I visited an 'Orphanage' once for which we had raised some funds. the lady I knew was the cook. that day we were invited to dinner and it was the fall. she made a pumpkin pie with just enough pecans to make it delicious.
    Sorry trick in the ceiling, but if you only have the stains, Brother Tom found it in time. Locating the source may be a challenge, but I am sure it will be found.
    Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. … with pecans? That sounds wonderful!
      Ya, thank goodness Tom has a Plan. Still, there are days I wish our bank account had more 000's … I'd pick up the phone and call an expert. (Ouch!)

      Delete
  13. I can't believe the inspectors did not find that??? What the hell? Why bother with inspectors. The recipe sounds delicous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? We wasted no time alerting our r.e. agent, but who knows if it will go any further.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit. Your comments mean the world to me!