Dear Dr. 'L',
What a thorough physical you conducted!
So, imagine our surprise when Tom's new Rx arrived and he noticed they were double the strength he's been taking for years. Fortunately, he'd the patience to navigate the V.A.'s (phone) labyrinth and leave a message.
I have to hand it to you, doctor. When, at 7:28 the next morning you called back, you didn't blame your nurse nor the pharmacy. You owned it; you made it right.
Like friend Diana says: Nowadays especially, it's critical to be your own health-care advocate.
* * *
Dear Mother Nature,
My word, you've a curious sense of humor!
All the falling green pecans have made quite a mess of the yard, but we just leave 'em for the squirrels.
Except one day I couldn't help myself. I discovered one slightly cracked … and my fingernails went to work!
Unfortunately, there was little to see. Worse, the puke-green wouldn't wash off! I tried rubbing alcohol, Oxi-Clean -- even Comet … to no avail. Sad, when someone observed, "You look like you've been digging in doggy poo."
Organic stains are the worst!
* * *
Dear Class of '68,
I'm not sorry for having missed our big reunion. More names than not I've forgotten. Still, last evening I was caught unawares.
The news of Sharon's passing came out of left field. A brief announcement on FB by little brother Billy. A casualty of having inhaled radiation dust nearly 50 years ago. She and I'd not been close since adolescence, shared confirmation classes. It was the content of her obituary that blew me away.
Not only was Sharon a highly-regarded medical doctor, but a commercial pilot, a sculptor, a ballerina, a gymnast. Too, a horse enthusiast who bred, trained and showed world-class Arabians.
Her father was a PhD, mine a security officer. Nevertheless, 1960's Los Alamos had no obvious class distinctions … she and I were each afforded the same education.
Something Ma wrote on her blog this morning struck me right between the eyes:
"Life is an equal opportunity employer. We are all born equals, but what we do with our lives makes all the difference."
Ya, I felt kind of insignificant there -- for about 10 minutes. But honestly, I wouldn't want to change my life … scars, steno pads and all!
Something Ma wrote on her blog this morning struck me right between the eyes:
"Life is an equal opportunity employer. We are all born equals, but what we do with our lives makes all the difference."
Ya, I felt kind of insignificant there -- for about 10 minutes. But honestly, I wouldn't want to change my life … scars, steno pads and all!
* * *
Dear friends,
Yes, I've seen all the snide remarks about selfies, insinuations of narcissism. I hope that's not the case! (I keep hoping to capture something un-revolting my son can put in my obit someday. LOL!)
No. I like to preserve the occasional good hair day to show my hairdresser … or check my make-up. It may sounds crazy, but judging the shade of my lips or finished eyebrows in a digi photo is a lot more defining than looking at my reflection in the mirror.
So! I'd like to change my profile pix here and appreciate your honest opinion. Which do you like best? September (left) or October (right)? Click to enlarge if you'd like.
Aw, thanks for humoring me.
* * *
Well, it's going on time to finish laundry and pick out some nice 'granny clothes' for Sarah's shower tomorrow morning.
Thank you so much for visiting! Be good, be safe!
Hugs,
Myra



I like September. Sad about your friend's passage. She chose to live the life she wanted to live, like I know you chose to live the life you wanted to live (with always a few surprises thrown in along the way). I think our own mortality gets a bit of a surprise when we hear of a peer that has passed. Makes us want to fully live each day. Good for that doctor admitting his mistake. They are human after all :)
ReplyDeletebetty
Amen, Betty! I like to think of those 'few surprises thrown in' as God winks. :)
DeleteSo sorry to hear about your friend's death. Praying for all concerned.
ReplyDeleteHow lucky of you to have fresh pecans. Over here they cost a fortune in the supermarket.
I will not choose a photo. I'll explain why. Years ago my wife bought me two ties for my birthday. We were going out to the restaurant to celebrate. I thought it would be nice to wear one of the ties to go out to the restaurant. As soon as she saw me she asked, "What's wrong with the other one?"
God bless.
LOL, Victor! Given the same circumstance (as your new ties), I can totally see myself saying the same thing!
DeleteI will vote for the September you, but October is lovely too! Myra, my obit will be short with no initials after my name, or anything amazing but I wouldn't change a thing either. I'm pretty darn happy with my life and myself. I know you are too! Love you, my friend!!
ReplyDelete… and doesn't it feel wonderful? Love you right back, Terri!
DeleteSo glad you caught the doctor's boo-boo! Double strength could have been a very bad thing. Your classmate was quite accomplished! No one in my class has passed away recently, but I get sort of the same feeling when anyone at work dies.
ReplyDeleteQuite a few of our class have passed now. And every time it feels unsettling. Every day's a gift!
DeleteI agree with Stacy. It's a good darned thing you caught the error in that medication's strength. And you're also right about how we have to be pro-active about our health care. I stopped taking one of the medications my doctor had prescribed for me, and when she asked me why, I said because of the side effects. I already have kidney disease, and the medication has a very high incidence of causing kidney disease. No thanks! She agreed that it was best that I not take it...
ReplyDeleteBoth of your pictures look terrific, but I think I like September best. (Although I did laugh out loud at Victor's reason for NOT picking one.) The way you have your head cocked makes you look kinda sassy.
Sassy? Naw … (giggle)
DeleteGood for you about standing up to your doctor. I truly believe more folks need to listen to their own bodies, their instincts.
Wow - it's a good thing Tom read the Rx before taking it! It always pays to be observant and double-check everything.
ReplyDeleteLooks like those pecans have given the term "green thumb" a whole new meaning. I had eight pecans trees in my yard when I lived in Texas. Some years they yielded pecans and other years they didn't. I never figured out why.
It's disheartening when people we knew in high school have passed away - but it's really scary when the cause of death was from inhaling radiation dust.
As for your profile photo - they're both nice but my vote is for September.
Ha! I was waiting and wondering if anyone would mention my 'green thumb'!
DeleteYa, there have been several 'accidents' at the lab that go largely unpublished. Heartbreaking.
I will vote first so I don't forget. Oct is my choice only because it is brighter and the tiny thumbnail will show up better.
ReplyDeletewe had Bob's BP meds doubled about 10 years ago, and he took 2 of them before I noticed it. it could have killed him because at that time he took one twice a day. glad your doc admitted to the error, no one did with us. now I check them all
sorry to hear about your school friend passing. she did so much.
I have to say I do not agree with what her mother said at all. we are born equals but not born equals and if her daughter had been born in the ghetto or to other parents the story would not have been the same. life is never fair, and it does depend on where and when you were born. there is always a chance it will happen but not a very good one.... pet peeve on this one... I used to drive daddy crazy. he was a Baptist minister, my best friend was Catholic. we lived 2 doors from each other. I would say if she had been your daughter and I was her daddy's daughter, I would be Catholic and she would be Baptist. made him crazy.
Oh, I'll bet it did! My parents were the same way about themselves (Lutheran) v. Catholic. Unless one is worshiping goats, I don't get the prejudices which exist between churches.
DeleteI like both photos, Myra, but I vote for October. So sad to hear of your friend's passing all too soon from this life, and it sure sounds like she lived a full one. How many of us can claim that?
ReplyDeleteGlad, too, that y'all caught the dosage on the medicine and that the doctor actually owned up to his own mistake. Now there's a miracle if ever I've seen one!
Have a super weekend!
Thank you so much, Martha. I hope yours is wonderful, as well!
DeleteI'm glad that both you and Jack found something that took your fancy in my posts. I'm honored that I was mentioned in 2 blog posts today. It is a blessing that the medication dosage was caught before it had done any damage. Sad to hear about your friends passing. She sounds like she was very talented, but that's not to say that your life is any less because of the different paths you took. We all have different talents. It would be a dull world if we were not different. Like you I like the life I've lived and wouldn't do anything different either. No regrets here. On a different note - you ask about crafting and I've seen that some of our crafts stores offer a lot of different classes. Maybe that would be a good place to start looking. Most don't cost much at either. I like both of your pictures but the 2nd one is brighter. You always look happy and cheerful ! Hope you have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteMy mother used to say the same thing (about it being a dull world, were we all alike)! That's a good idea about craft stores … I'll have to see if there's not a Hobby Lobby or Michaels in the vicinity.
DeleteOne of my prescriptions was written wrong by an assistant. We went back and forth from the doctor's office to the OptumRX to get it resolved. That didn't happen so now I'm received 180 supply of one of my pills. Thankfully it wasn't the doze that was wrong but they had me taking it twice a day. Oh my, that stain on your nail is crazy. Sorry about the passing of Sharon. That's the sad part of reunions. We have our 50th next year. I like September!
ReplyDeleteWow; I'm surprised your pharmacist didn't catch that! My hubby allowed, "Everyone's human." But I don't know I'd be that charitable, were it my own health!
DeleteOh yes, sorry about your friend. So accomplished.
ReplyDeleteOHHHH and I do sympathize with the pecans. I was an instructor once in Naval Intelligence. Summer uniform is WHITES. I could not pass up the pecans in the back yard. I had never been lucky enough to have that. I shucked a gallon. THEN looked at my hands.. Yep the same tried it all NADA. Black fingers and palms show up like the 'sore Thumb' against NAVY WHITES! LOL
BTW, I agree it isnice of someone to OWN heir mistakes.
Love from NC Internet has been very sketchy today, but I finally made it.
Really? Oh my word, Jack. I know it wasn't funny at the time, but how you made me laugh!
DeleteMaybe you should inform your Wi-Fi, if it doesn't shape up, you and Sherry are shipping out!
I attended my 50th class reunion this year. There were a bunch of old farts there:)
ReplyDeleteI always check over my medical professional’s shoulder.
The days of total trust are gone. Anyone can make a mistake. I admire those who own there errors.
R
Old farts, you bet-cha! I was looking at the group (reunion) photo and felt seriously aghast. Guess I need to wash my own looking glass …..
Deleteglad your tom caught the rx mistake before taking the pills.
ReplyDelete