The other morning, my coworker and I stood shivering in the pre-dawn, ready to board a tour bus for the "Old Pueblo." Now, I've never claimed to have even a passing interest in science ... but this Tucson excursion was, after all, COMPLIMENTARY.
In spite of my lack of (sufficient) caffeine -- and those who I quickly deduced weren't "morning people" -- our cheery driver soon won everyone over. Don't you love a fella who makes unscheduled pit stops without being asked - lol!
Oh, but I would have liked to stop at Picacho Peak -- one of the prettiest vistas along the I-10 corridor.
|
| (Stock photo) Picacho Peak marks the western-most battle of the American Civil War (April 15, 1862).
...Another day, perhaps.
|
Having registered downtown, we boarded another bus to the Oro Valley and Biosphere 2.
This controversial (and costly) project was "the last serious attempt
to lock people away in a sealed environment to simulate the claustrophobic
conditions of a space base on a distant planet."
"Planet in a Bottle"
The mission began in September 1991 and finished two years and 20 minutes later.
4 men and 4 women lived among replica ecosystems: a cloud forest, savanna grassland, a desert, ocean, and marshes. Each day's diet was comprised of bananas, sweet potatoes, beets, and rice. (My inner carnivore wept!)
Yikes ... I don't think so!!!
Later our conversation included this poser: "Would you do it?"
Even were I so inclined, I don't believe I could wrap my mind around the idea of being IMPRISONED ... limited to any physical contact with the "outside" world.
Come day's end, I was startled when our driver excited the freeway ... in middle of NO-WHERE.
Ah-ha! The Marana airport graveyard!
But straight ahead ... an imposing gate's signage read, "Authorized Personnel Only."
Not to be deterred, our driver veered left and around the side of a neighboring farmhouse. Feeling mischievous, are we?
Covered head-to-toe in dust, tasting the dust ...
We were still delighted to traipse up and down the flight-line...
Feeling almost truant!
All in all, a fun time. I have to admit, it felt good to step outside my ordinary.
Are you, perhaps, interested in visiting Biosphere 2?
I've TWO tickets with YOUR name on it ... first-come, first-served! :)
Have a great week, everyone!







I'm not sure I could get beyond the coffee issue. Thanks for your thoughts on my post. I think in a year I will be glad I was able to be helpful and also will be launched on "the next phase."
ReplyDeleteI like your thoughts here today. I am not one to take orders and be confined so Biosphere would not have been my cup of tea! But I do remember it well. You had quite an interesting adventure! Have a beautiful Sunday!
ReplyDeleteI don't think I could have done this. I think I would have gone stir crazy with that diet and the lack of 3-4 cups of coffee a day, but what an interesting place to visit! Thanks for sharing it with us!
ReplyDeletebetty
I thought the Biosphere was interesting too, but I don't think I'd be a good candidate for it. Yes, you sure did step out of your ordinary! Have a good week!
ReplyDeleteVery interesting thought. I don't think I'd want to live there but could I if I had to, yes.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness what a fun and exciting adventure!
ReplyDeleteWow! That WAS different! That would definitely be stepping out of MY ordinary, too!! :)
ReplyDeleteHI!!!
ReplyDeleteI have been to both places.....the plane boneyard is what I call it....and of course the bio-sphere.....NO WAY would I shut myself in anywhere......I would be the first one killed!!!
hugs,
jamie
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete