Saturday, July 15, 2017

Hunger (pains) and Hacks



I wish I didn't so closely resemble my dog.

Before you get to thinking I've grown whiskers and taken to chasing my tail ... it's an appetite thing.  
If I'm not standing in the kitchen each morning between say 4:50 and 5:05, Macie and Grace will come get me, then go sit at attention in front of the pantry door waiting for their Greenies.   


Petite and polite, Grace invariably takes her time, carefully relishing every morsel.   

Macie, on the other hand, hardly bothers to chew hers; and, if we're not careful, will try to steal her sister's treat. 

... Not unlike someone who, not long ago, finished her hot buttered popcorn; whose hand happened to find its way into hubby's bag ..... before the film had even begun.

Telling you, it's a sickness.   Why else would I have caught myself last month filching not one - but nine - Hershey's miniatures.  I'm not even particularly fond of chocolate!  Sigh.

Ever have a 'light bulb' moment, when you realize there's gotta come a change?    Stunned, when I overheard an near-anorexic  blond on the evening news share that an average glass of wine contains the caloric equivalent of a donut.   (Say it ain't so!)

Seriously, I'm in awe of folks who carefully consume their wee containers of carrots or cukes - then sigh 'how full' they feel.  Let's chat about 'full' after I've finished my 16 oz. porterhouse, shall we?

It's high time I apologized to the late, great Dr. Atkins.  While there's little likelihood I'll shrink back into a size 6 (without taking up smoking again) ...

2002 on a stopover in Abilene - with Caraleigh and gal pal PJ.

... I'm discovering new and unusual no-carb combinations, and still lost 6 lbs. the last two weeks.

Because this contains ZERO carbs, this has become my new go-to when I feel a need to crunch.


I discovered Havarti infused with dill and spread it on leftover roast slices the other night. 
Carnivore's nachos!  My taste buds literally did a jig.

Does anyone else struggle to peel an eggs quickly and cleanly?
This hack has been popularized on Facebook (forgive me if you've seen it already) ... but I've become a believer!



... that is, until my 'shake-shake-shake .. shake your bootie' resulted in this
Must contain my enthusiasm!



Another 'must have' gadget finally made it's way to my desk from China -- nearly 30 days in transit.  

I'm sort of disappointed in its size and flimsy design, but will take it for a test-run tonight.  Hey, if I wind up not slicing the tip of my index finger, that's a win!




Finally, I'd be seriously remiss if I didn't apologize to anyone who's ever worked in or near commercial kitchens.

Because our workplace sometimes grills complimentary dogs and burgers for associates and guests alike, it was suggested we all go online and get our food handler's cards.

Walk in the park, right?

Wrong. 

More than 2 hours spent watching the on-line tutorial and test, I discovered just how ignorant I am about cooking/holding temps, food prep and storage.  'Was seriously nervous about passing but made it with 39 out of 40 correct.
Hats off to all the burger-flippers and sous chefs!

Meanwhile, all this talk about food is making me hungry.  I'd better visit the kitchen before heading to the supermarket!


Chat soon! .....
Hugs from Phoenix!
Myra













  




    
   



   




30 comments:

  1. As always I enjoyed the visit. Imma gonna try the egg shaking. I always thought it was the type or age of the egg that made it hard or easy to peel.
    From what I hear lady, you got no problem with weight! That is just what I hear via the grape vine.....

    Love ya1 Hugs to the big guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! Let me know how your egg shaking goes, won't you?

      Delete
  2. LOL - your posts always crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If after I cook my hard boiled eggs and let enough cold water drain over them, I can perfectly peel them. Otherwise, its a mess. I'll have to look for the ParmCrisps, haven't seen it, but looks interesting to try. Good for you with the weight loss, though truly you were just fine before!

    When Koda was with us, he got feed at 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. because he had to get insulin shots 12 hours apart. At about 7:40 p.m. he would come and nudge me where I was as a reminder that it was "time." I had to tell him over and over again "its not time yet." You do wonder where they get that sense of timing. Is it a routine that they develop? Son had a 10 p.m. curfew during high school years. Koda would rest against the front door at about 9:45 p.m. waiting for him while the rest of the evening he was by us.

    We had a bit of rain and some thunder/lightening tonight. Honestly, give me dry heat over this humid heat :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? The mosquitos had a field day with my feet.
      That's so interesting about Koda's inner clock. Whoever coined the phrase 'dumb animals' deserves to be stoned.

      PS - I found ParmCrisps at Fry's, in the cheese section.

      Delete
  4. The adorable photo of the two pooches made me smile - - my first big smile of the day.

    I always eat everything (and anything) and never gain an ounce. But I will reluctantly admit that I can't squeeze into the 32 waist jeans that I wore when I was 20 (of course, that was like 100 years ago).

    As for hard boiled eggs, I find that they always peel best when they're still hot or at least warm. If they're refrigerated before peeling - forget it.
    I'm not about to mess around shaking them in a jar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW
      My first big laugh of the day came when I saw the egg that you shook in a jar....

      Delete
    2. I'm totally envious of your metabolism, Jon! In my pre-geriatric days, keeping weight off was a breeze, as long as I stayed away from pasta and bread.

      The jar trick? It's great stress relief! Most of the time it works, and the dogs get my mistakes.

      Delete
  5. I am serious when I say this, I think you are perfect now, and look much better than in 2002. to funny on your egg peeling. good luck with the new gadget. my eggs work most of the time by this way.. if they are cold I put them in hot water before peeling, if they are hot, I put them in ice water. most of the time they work well.
    I gave up sugar and white flour and it is working for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so nice to say that! Night before last I was looking at olden photos and became a little depressed.

      I've another batch of hb eggs in the refrigerator, so I'm going to try what you said about putting 1-2 in hot water. Love learning from other bloggers!

      Delete
  6. I give you lots of credit on watching what you eat. I pretty much eat what I want these days and enjoy good food to the fullest. I do love hard boiled eggs and usually don't have a problem at all after letting them set in cold water after boiling them. Like your sweet dogs, I'm in a routine and know if I'm hungry it's time to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours is definitely the sensible approach! Fortunately, I actually love red meat, eggs and veggies. The only food group I don't enjoy is fruit.

      'Forgot to say so earlier ... Wishing you a wonderful, relaxing afternoon!

      Delete
  7. Oh, did I laugh at your egg jar. You are too funny but really, how long do you shake it? I don't think I've ever been size 6 or even close!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just use the 'hit or miss' method, Mary ... no more than 12-15 shakes. (Bruno can eat the mistakes!)

    Oh Mary, you're seriously trim! ...and seriously sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhh...the food manager course and certificate. Yep..had to do that when I had my little bakery. Had to chuckle at the kitchen gadgets and videos. I always experience the same thing. Looks great on TV and then doesn't work like shown at all. I've wondered about the salad maker...let us know!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it worked out well, Terri!
      ... That is, after DH pointed out I had the base on upside down. :(

      Delete
  10. i hate peeling eggs, it's always hit or miss. how bad could shaking be. 39 out of 40 is a darn good score. just proves you know more than you think you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Hadn't thought of it that way! I hate taking tests!

      Delete
  11. The Parm Crisps sound interesting. I'm going to have to look for them. The eggs in a jar...not so much. Maybe if you do that first it will turn you off on food. It is pretty gross looking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was just thinking today that if I discovered low carb -- the way I basically eat for the last two years -- I would have been so much happier throughout my life, not to say healthier. When I begin to wander down the carb path -- yesterday! -- I get myself back on the no bread, pasta, sugar etc. and I'm so much happier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for having been such an inspiration to me, Carol!

      Delete
  13. There's a minute possibility we were separated at birth. Once upon a time, I dined, especially if we went to a restaurant. Now? I wolf. Not terribly lady-like, I know, but I'm trying to make a concerted effort to slow it down and chew each mouthful more than...once. :)

    I used to be a size 2, and had a horrible time gaining weight so I didn't look skeletal. Needless to say, that particular problem is no longer in play...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I suspect 'lady-like' is terribly over-rated. (Nevertheless, you just made me feel better!)

      Delete
  14. Seriously that is just too early. Skye sleeps in longer than that. I won't start my popcorn until the movie starts. I love a low carb diet. We do South Beach but they are pretty much the same. I've seen that salad chopper and wondered if it was any good. They have it on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, but they're up with me when the alarm goes off at 4. Hopefully, we can wean ourselves off that insane hour when I retire!

      Delete
  15. I peel hard oiled eggs this way too! Hee hee Hee! You were shaking that booty huh? LOL! I get over zealous too! I just loved this post. I am trying to set up my new blog my Tata's Cottage at blogspot. Darn google and blogger. II can view my Phamilyblog and comment just nothing else, like I am no longer the owner of it. Sad Sad Sad. My friend Cat is going to help me make a new header and button. But as far as the issue with the old blog, she is sorry she cannot help. Really no one where to turn. AN act of congress, and who needs that(?), to get help from the blogger and goggle people. I may try to post again. I posted once last week. Anyway those pups are so cute! Our dog Spats was greedy.He would swallow big ole treats whole. We had to be careful with him but he lived a long life. Stella, Jeremy's middle dog, she is a greedy girl, but since she lived a lot of her life on the streets before us, we cut her slack. Leo is just a typical alpha dog, me first, me first! Smokey is old, he hangs back and waits his turn. Bandit is so old and confused he isn't aware of his surroundings much less anything else but the lil fellow goes along like an energizer bunny! Thanks for the smiles and laughs. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So tickled to 'see' you again, Anne!
      What a perplexing business about the new/old blogs! "An act of Congress" ... how appropriate! Thanks for leaving me a trail to your new blogspot!

      Delete
  16. I recently saw a TV chef do the egg shaking thing. And I'm anxious to hear what you thing about that salad chopping gizmo. I have literally given up on ever being small again. But I might take up cigarette smoking. I really enjoyed my ciggies!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!