Sunday, July 30, 2017

Home improvement ... and the sounds of music


Sometimes I have to sit back and laugh at my own ignorance.

Realizing how much we've let slide around the house ... and what little time remains before the new year, I recently sat down and drafted a 'job jar' for DH. :)

Step #1. I  discovered a smoking deal on ceramic tile for the master bath.  However, before I could heave-ho the first box into the cart, Tom came around the corner: "What do you think you're doing?"
I never stopped to consider its weight ... plus, what x9 would do to the poor shopping cart.

Thankfully, he hijacked a flat-bed.  Then, out of no-where, a young couple approached and basically asked us to step out of the way while they loaded our carrier.   After ascertaining Lowe's would load the tile into Tom's truck, they disappeared into thin air.  Angels among us! 

Step #2, grout.  Because I've little patience for choosing "just the right" color, I jabbed my index finger at a sample and went off in search of the grout.
... Where Tom found me a little bit later:  a blank look on my face in front of an array of caulking.
No-one ever told me, grout comes in bags, not tubes. 
How was I supposed to know it's just a fancy name for colored sand?!

... and who knew medicine cabinets were so expensive?



I've lived with the unsightly glass  silvering(?) a while now, but figure that would be a big 'no-no' for potential home buyers.

In all seriousness, are medicine cabinets even something people expect anymore in their bathrooms?

*sigh*  I suspect the next few months are going to be crazy ... not counting the repository for Tom's RC aircraft!


(Click to enlarge)

* * *

In other news ...
It may not be a big deal to most folks ... but I'm so excited to have finally discovered how to download free custom ring tones for my cell phone.

I don't get many calls, but largely dislike most that came with our Samsung 8's.   So!  My default is the "Feather" theme from Forrest Gump.  (Not so sure why I chose that, since my eyes always well up at the first few notes.)


When I hear Harlem Nocturne, I know it's Tom ... the theme from Golden Girls, my BF ... The Good, The Bad and the Ugly is my boss calling ... and of course, Lynyrd Skynyrd, my loves in Alabama.

Have you a favorite ring tone?

* * *

Finally .....  those of you on Facebook have seen this already, but I can't resist
a shameless plug for g'daughter #1 who graduated Troy University day before yesterday. 
Seems like yesterday she was calling me, sobbing her heart out because the freshman dorm and other co-eds were so different than what she knew.
You've come a long way, baby!


 Daddy's girl!



As ever, thanks for visiting ... have yourselves a beautiful new week!



Hugs from (damp) Phoenix,
 Myra










21 comments:

  1. Myra, my ringtone for Joe is the Godfather Theme. It makes everyone laugh when he calls me (did, at work). So much so that one of my retirement gifts was the Godfather Trilogy on DVD. LOL Glad you found your tile on sale! Excellent! Grout is always a touch decision. AND, it looks totally different dry than it does wet. Congrats to your beautiful granddaughter! We don't have a medicine cabinet in the new house and I miss it. Those planes! Let us know where they go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure just what Tom is going to do with the aircraft. He's an electric 'park flyer' that's definitely going and doesn't require a dedicated runway or flying field.

      That's pretty clever of your coworkers, gifting you the Godfather Trilogy!

      Delete
  2. Giggling over your adventures at Lowe's. Even after 33 years of being married to a guy who runs big commercial construction sites I still have "duh" moments at Lowe's.

    I haven't bothered to set up individual rings with my current phone, but my ringtone is one I downloaded. I change it every so often. Currently it's the theme from the Andy Griffith show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed the read. I really do appreciate/admire anyone who is willing to tackle a tile improvement job. And learn along the way.
    Ringtones? Sherry has just one ringtone, "Sherry Baby" mine is just a phone ring. I have answered a couple times.
    Sherry is very consistant on silencing her phone, but one day if it goes off in church, tis gonna bring some laugh and stares. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're actually going to have the tile job contracted out; our olden knees aren't what they used to be!

      "Sherry Baby" cracks me up!

      Delete
  4. So much here to make me smile...the honey do jar for your Tom, oh that's too precious. Sounds like a nice project for the bathroom and I don't think people expect medicine cabinets. They can put their own in later. That airplane, too funny. I know of a girl who lived with one suspended from her living room ceiling and it made me laugh. You are one smart cookie to figure out the ringtones. My Tom likes that too. He's the only one I have a special ring for and it's very obnoxious. The rest is called snowflake and I laughed talking to my liberal brother yesterday noticing snowflake under his picture as the call came in!!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obnoxious? Tell me more, Miss Mary! LOL.

      That's pretty funny about your snowflake sibling.

      Delete
  5. I missed this on Facebook, so congrats to your granddaughter on her graduation! a wonderful achievement indeed!! I'm so clueless with home improvements or home projects. I am glad hubby has a sense of design and knows what works and what won't work. He did a great job upgrading his parents' house before we sold it. It will be a fun year ahead for you and Tom as you prepare the house for selling. The great news is property values are going UP here in Phoenix. Good time to think of selling!

    I just have a standard ring tone on my phone. It surprises me when I hear the same ring tone as I'm transcribing a report from another doctor in a totally different part of the company. Most of the time I just have it on mute anyway (I really would be fine if I never got another phone call again :) (texts are okay).

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know about the property values! I just hope to price it realistically for a quick sale. (*gulp*)

      To tell the truth, I pretty much dislike yakking on the phone, too.

      Delete
  6. how nice of Lowes to load for you.. Bob put down our kitchen tile the year he retired, he was 62 and now 81 so however long that is. we chose dark grout because he light gets dark and is hard to clean. it still looks as good as it did the day he finished. good luck with the fixing up to sell.
    Your granddaughter is beautiful and it is good to be proud of her. I did see her on FB but there are many who did not.
    I would love a new ring tone but my cheap LG phone has no room to add others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra!

      That's interesting about dark grout. The kitchen grouting that came with our place 13 years ago is so disgusting, I'm just going to bite the bullet and call in the professionals.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you have some work ahead before you get to relax. Hope it is worth it all and helps with the eventual sale of your home. My phone came with several ring tones so that's what I use. I have tick tock for my daughter as she was expecting here first child at the time I set it. Hard to believe that now it is 5 years later. I won't change them now as I've become used to everyones ring.
    Hope the week ahead is a wonderful one for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? 'Trying to remain realistic and not get carried away. Son and DIL totally transformed their old home a couple years ago. It was wonderful, but they wound up out-pricing it for the neighborhood and ultimately had to compromise.

      Delete
  8. My ringtone for Justin used to be "Bad Boys" the theme from cops. Now I just have a regular ringing phone. I'm not going to do all that updating to my house before I sell. Just gonna be 'as is'. Too much work for me. And not sure the expense will add to my profits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "What-cha gonna do when they come for you ... Bad Boys!" So great!

      Unfortunately, our improvements are WAY overdue. The carpet's so disgusting, but I'm going to wait until right before we list it.

      Delete
  9. We have been working on some home improvements too. I wonder why we didn't do them a couple of years ago so we could at least enjoy them for awhile! Good luck with yours. I love his planes. Congratulations to your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Are you planning on selling your home, too?

      Delete
  10. congrats to your granddaughter. wasn't that sweet of that young couple to help load the flatbed for you. angels indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Angels everywhere! We just never hear about it on the mainstream media! Wow! Your grand girl is amazing and smart and very beautiful! I know you are so happy for her!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This results in a situation where a contractor performing home improvement work may have a Suffolk County home improvement license but not one for Southampton, shower panel

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!