Sunday, June 25, 2017

Friday Letters ... on Sunday



Why?  
Well, I used to really enjoy this format, but was too uninspired on Friday to do anything about it.



Dear Mr. God,

That was you wasn't it, speaking to us through Lynn Anderson's voice?  "I beg your pardon ... I never promised you a rose garden."

I dunno, that notion just popped in my head the other day when I started to whine about the heat.



Dear Dr. E,

I'm delighted to learn this rash and awful itch on my neck and upper chest isn't anything debilitating.

But seriously, a sun allergy?  Seriously?!

Maybe, I might spend 30-45 minutes outside each summer day.  At most.  And you recommend I purchase solar-resistant clothing?
Well, I just checked and they're awfully expensive.

OK, I'll strike a deal and buy the scarves.
But these prescriptions better do the trick.  I'd hate to have to change direction and move to Seattle ... or London.



Dear Random Receptionist,

When I phoned to renew our annual maintenance agreement, your greeting made my day:

"Good morning, this is Brenda, how are you?"
... said with a smile.  (We can hear a smile, you know.)

Just a twist of words, but it put a smile on my face, too.  Thanks!



on the other hand .....
Dear Executive Caller,

Would it kill you to identify yourself up front?   
When I pick up the phone and hear, "Is 'M' there?" ... or better, "Is 'M' busy?" ... it's annoying as heck to have to guess who's calling.
It doesn't make you more important.  (...just a jerk.)
I may be just the hired Doberman, but I take my door-keeper duties seriously.




Dear Harkins Theaters,

Thank you!  I'd about decided going 'out' to the movies was a waste of money.  Then y'all came along with 'reserve-your-own' seat assignments .... and comfy leather recliners.  Now, my only problem is keeping DH awake!


BTW, if anyone's interested, we both give Meagan Leavy 5 stars.  More than a few folks actually applauded at the end.




In closing, an Idle Question ...
Why can't real life more closely resemble HGTV's House Hunters?

... more about that later!




Have yourselves a wonderful new week, OK?
Hugs from Phoenix!
Myra





20 comments:

  1. like the letters. who knew you can hear a smile. a comfy recliner to see a movie out and about is as good as seeing it in the comfort of your home. now if they could just lower the cost of popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, that! Offhand, I dunno if there's a more intoxicating aroma than movie theatre popcorn!

      Delete
  2. Hubby said one of the radio stations he listens to on the commute to work actually sent people out to try to cook eggs on the sidewalk and hamburgers in the extreme heat. Guess it worked but people were reluctant to eat the finished product.

    I'm not sure I buy the sun allergy rash, but then I'm not a doctor (I just type for them 40 hours a week) but if the cure seems to be working, then maybe its a good thing?

    God never did promise us a rose garden, but as the pastor said today at church "My problems may be big, but the God I know is bigger." Just remember that!

    Just too comfy with the seats at the movie theater!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny about burgers on the sidewalk!

      So far, the Rx cream only seems to exacerbate the rash ... but the itch has subsided and I no longer resemble a monkey with hives. LOL!

      Delete
  3. When I start to whine she has an old say that she pulls out - Suck it up buttercup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chuckle! (Have you seen, Sarah Palin has introduced a line of t-shirts with that logo.)

      Delete
  4. Hello, how ARE you? sounds like you are well and I loved every letter. I prefer movies without other people. I am easily distracted, people coughing, chatting, moving, scratching their head..i do love the idea of this theater and my hubby would sleep through it all. I said to bob a few weeks ago, I wonder if an egg would fry on the pool deck, it was cooking my feet, like the eggs in the back of this car. got to run, the rose garden is waiting.. he he he

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This may be my all-time favorite comment ... so creative, you are! :)
      (I, too, dislike the sounds others make in the theatre; that's why DH and I favor the Sunday morning crowd of geezers like us.)

      Delete
  5. I did enjoy your letters. You have a wonderful knack of saying a lot in a few words! When I first get out for some sun at the beginning of summer I too will break out like that but it seems it only does this once and it's over for me. It sounds like you have heat rash to me. The remedy here is to wear white, it reflects the heat and works for me. I used to tell my kids that TV isn't about real life when they used to tell me a certain type of laundry detergent would get my clothes whiter...hope you have a great week !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! I wondered about a heat rash, too. White's never been 'my' color ... but at this point - it's been almost 2 months - I'll try almost anything.

      Delete
  6. I had completely forgotten this forum. I must do it again this week! Thanks for the reminder. I know it is hot, hot, hot, in Phoenix. Try to stay cool. We have those seats with reservations in our theater. I just can't stay awake either!! Why do they want to make falling asleep easier??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I look forward to seeing your Friday Letters, Paula. (After all, YOU'RE the one who introduced me!)

      Delete
  7. Haha--it's very hot! My first receptionist job training assured me that when I smile people hear it on the phone. I agree. I got a pneumonia shot last week, no reaction until seven days later when I thought my heart stopped, got dizzy for a second and woke up with a red mark where the shot was given (unless one of our deadly spiders in AZ bit me?) I think it was the shot. My daughter saw the movie and liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, that's scary about your reaction!
      Yes, I've heard of companies that put mirrors in front of their phone operators' desks as a prompt to smile when answering the phone.

      Delete
  8. I agree with the telephone smile, I wish I could hear them now!
    I especially like the letter to Dr. E. The diagnosis does make one want to write the letter....
    Love the solar oven graphic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jack! We'll see. In the words of my sweet, late mother, "I think I'm going to pot." LOL!

      Delete
  9. You could always move to southwestern Pennsylvania to avoid the sun, too. We don't see too much of it in recent years. A couple of years ago we officially passed Seattle in the number of cloudy days. Winter here is positively dreary and gray.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had left a comment but I guess it didn't go through. Enjoyed your letters and I don't like having to pick out my seat in advance at the show!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sun allergy! I've gotten some new allergies and the years have gone by and not a bit of fun. I'm not happy about the seat selection ahead of time either, but the that's the way with the two closest theaters to me. I still love going to the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always make me smile here! I always made sure to have a smile in my voice on the phone. Love those letters!My mother use to say, whoever told you life was easy lied to you. It is hard, pray harder. She also said, in regard to mean girls, with a friend like her, you will never need any enemies. Gosh I miss my mom. ;-( My hubby has struggled with eczema and a friends daughter suffers too. She changed her diet and it is working wonders! But this is different from the heat messing with you. I hope this all gets resolved soon. I love the movies and one of them near our home also serves alcohol is you prefer it. I am pretty aware of my surroundings always and don't want to be hammered in a movie! LOL! But we go early too and once or twice we were the only two in the theater. Made us feel so special. Hee Hee Hee! I like to sit in the center of an aisle so we get the best view. Last time we saw Despicable Me 3 the movie was unusually busy in 3D and I think we sat too close but it was fun as things felt like they were going to hit you or rain down on you. Cute movie too, I love Grew!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!