Sunday, June 4, 2017

Dogs on a Plane ... and House Hunters (Chapter 1)



I wonder, is there anyplace better to 'people watch' than a large metropolitan airport?
Unfortunately, arriving two hours prior to our 6AM flight time (I'm nothing if not obedient!)  there was little in the way of entertainment.  

(Lifted from the web)

.... That is, until a young lady arrived at the gate with a big ole hairy pooch wearing a 'service' scarf, a goofy grin and waggily tail.  Aw!  
Dog lovers, DH and I got a real kick out of watching 'Pearson' wander around, accepting pats and scratches.
 
So, what's wrong with this picture?  I've no issue, but it's my understanding a real service dog won't leave its master/mistress while on the job.  Color me curious!

Happily, once on the plane we were seated directly behind Pearson and his girl ... where I eagerly eavesdropped on her conversation with their seatmate.

Turns out Pearson was originally prescribed as an 'emotional support' animal after repeated panic attacks.  The seatmate inquired, "So, what does he do if you become distressed?"

"Oh, he'll jump in my lap and start kissing my face."
(I guess she didn't plan on having a panic attack while on her cruise, so Pearson was spending time with his 'grandma and grandpa' while in Tampa.)

Too cute ... if you can get away with it.

On the other hand, our return flight was delayed while the flight attendants asked passengers upfront if they'd mind relocating to accommodate a service animal.

I don't know what I was expecting, but it sure wasn't an attractive 20-something wearing a micro-miniskirt, pulling an aging black lab.  From his aisle seat, row 5, one congenial fellow kept me amused: 

"Ha! Now, the dog's laying across the other lady's feet."
"You're not going to believe this.  The princess is already on her cell phone and we're still climbing!"
"... OMG, the dog's licking her seatmate's toes!"

Something else.  'Mr. Congeniality' shared that his best friend is deathly afraid of big dogs.  "... and what about folks who are allergic?"


I sure don't have answers, do you?  Takes all kinds, I guess.

Gotta say, unlike so much ugly brouhaha the media is fond of trumpeting, our Southwest flight crews and fellow passengers were really, really pleasant.

* * *


Yes, we're really planning to relocate to Alabama (hopefully) next spring, and took advantage of our unscheduled vacation time to drive this-way-and-that.  

'Just wish I'd been more candid up-front. 
I don't want to call it 'wasted', but we lost one day looking at neighborhoods my DIL recommended that were way, way out of our price range.

Pretty sure, we'd like to plant ourselves in a SMALL town - with easy access to the metro and good health-care facilities.
I'd in mind a 50's-era bungalow with a little yard, sweet front porch and blessed central air.
We'd have been wise to consult a real estate agent.

You know that phrase, 'Right Love at the Wrong Time'?
Back home, I've fallen in love with this place online.  Seriously, it meets every stinkin' item on my wish-list.  Tom's reached out to the listing agent ... but we're just not in a position to act on it now.  
"1945 bungalow-style home, close enough to walk into town and enjoy a popsicle, a hot dog or enjoy a specialty treat at Dairy Queen.
No need to fight traffic for parking for downtown fireworks; just walk down to the historic Bibb Graves Bridge for the very best views."

Like an idiot, I keep going on Zillow every day to make sure it's still there.  I'll be hugely disappointed when it sells, but have to trust God has something else - maybe better(!) - in mind.

* * *


So, zat's zat .. thanks for visiting!
I hope y'all have a super new week and stay cool!


Hugs from Phoenix,
Myra





31 comments:

  1. Okay lady this was good. First, I DO BELIEVE THERE IS A REAL NEED FOR SERVICE DOGS. I also believe some folk 'PUSH THE ENVELOPE'. The same with handicap parking. It is amazing the folks who are 'encouraged' by their Dr. to 'walk' will take up a handicap space for some one who truly needs it.

    Oh yeah, When you know you are interested in one place in one area BUT are not ready, one still checks Zillow. Yep, we have done that very thing.
    You will find 'the place', but.....

    And one more thing, 'ON TIME' (follow orders) is something burned into my psyche.

    As always good stuff when I visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jack! Ya, I've not a lot of respect for those who 'push the envelope.' For instance: My workplace is NOT a pet-friendly establishment, but we get a lot folks claiming to have service animals-- then leave them in the room while they're out having fun. Poor things are frightened in strange surroundings, and no wonder they act out and bark.

      Delete
  2. PS: Oh yes, we have a signal and have had for 20 minutes!!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't fly but if I did, the picture you posted is what I would rather fly with than people... I have a friend who is really afraid of all dogs, even her grand dogs. not good.. and the allergy thing is something I had not thought about. neither of these sound like service dogs. maybe they need a dogs only flight like the motels have dog rooms. hurts my brain thinking about it. I like the house you showed us and that is what we would want to. small and easy to care for and close to hospital/doctors and easy access to stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you about flying w/ dogs vs. people! I was so thrilled to get to love on and watch Pearson that I (almost) forgot to be nervous when the plane left the ground!

      Delete
  4. Well, that does sound like a great place! Keep us posted, please!! Service dogs ain't what they used to be! At my workplace (museum) we have to allow any service animal (not always dogs) in and have found out that might include tiny chihuahua or a ferret. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A ferret ... really?! That's adorable!
      A former co-worker has what we used to call a "real" guide dog/service animal. They're pretty amazing to watch ... so focused.

      Delete
  5. Interesting service dog or not...I bet many would rather sit next to a dog than a person or a crying baby. I wish you the best in your search to relocate. I hope you find just the right home at just the right price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, Mary! I'm probably biased, but suspect dogs are much sweeter (and quieter!) than many humans. Thanks for your well-wishes!

      Delete
  6. Such important work a service dog does. I can't imagine someone not being understanding of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! I think my Gracie's anxiety merits a service dog of her own.

      Delete
  7. Seems like Pearson provided emotional support for you too on your recent flight (I read through the comments :) One of my nieces has a cat for emotional support since she suffers from depression. Not sure how it all works, but she seems to be doing much better since obtaining the cat. So good that you are going to be relocating possibly within a year. Will miss you, but being close to family is what really matters. I can't tell you how many houses we looked at down here until the right one came along and it truly ended up being right in so many ways. There were others I really wanted but we lost out on due to not being close by to see them or bidding wars. God's one for you will be just perfect (and perhaps even better than this one, who knows!)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ... thanks for noticing, Betty! :)
      I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed tonight, but need to put it all in His hands. As you've walked the walk, I know you understand!

      Delete
  8. Okay, this is a first. I have never heard of a Panic Attack dog before. I think it's a crock.
    But I can attest to the fact that my three cats often induce me to have panic attacks.... (grim *smile* inserted here).

    I really like the place that you've found on Zillow. Let's hope it doesn't sell (fingers are crossed).
    Phoenix is MUCH too hot. The first year when I lived in San Angelo, TX it was 101 degrees on Halloween. It depressed me immensely.
    I'd rather be here in my shack in the TN wilderness watching the autumn leaves and enjoying the chill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was the only one surprised by emotional support dogs. Heck, I'm probably just jealous I hadn't thought to do the same thing!

      Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  9. It seems every dog is a service dog these days. I see them in Walmart all the time here and they don't have anything to identify them and no one questions it. I think there's a lot of abuse of the system going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, too, Stacy. Lots of companies are fearful of being hit with a lawsuit ...with good reason.

      Delete
    2. We just had a run in with a "service" dog at Walmart the other day. A woman picked up her ratty dog and stuck him in my grandson's face saying, "He's never been around a baby...I want to see how he does." EXCUUUUUSE ME?! Your dog has never been around a baby so you randomly choose one you don't know and stick your dog right in it's face??? What is wrong with you??? My daughter flipped out on her.

      The sad thing is that the woman wasn't very reputable looking herself and while I try not to judge based on looks, we have a heroin epidemic going on in our area and you just never know any more. It's not just the young kids. It's all ages.

      Delete
    3. Egads, but I'd flip out as well! I hope Colton wasn't upset by the sight of a sudden and strange furry face so close to his.

      Delete
  10. Having recently relocated myself, I wish you the best finding a place you like. Sounds like you have plenty of time and that helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ma! Yes, some days it feels like forever; others like a freight train is bearing down.

      Delete
  11. Yes, anybody today can get a certificate to bring their dog on a plane. I love dogs but I'm not in favor of it in all situations. Everyone is now bringing their dogs along and many people are allergic. More cats are being brought on too. I agree with Stacy, I see them everywhere too! Really, you going to move? Hope your find the perfect place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Wish I knew the answer, Debby! I've a co-worker who 'subscribed' his German Shepherd to become an assist animal; but when I asked him about flying, John demurred because his Bailey can't be trusted around other dogs. Yikes ... just imagine!

      Delete
  12. We just recently had a conversation about these 'so called service animals'. I think there are a lot of people out there pushing the envelope just so they can get their pets into places pets aren't supposed to be. I am a cranky old non-pet loving person. And it annoys me that people think they need to subject their animals to everyone. But then I am so cranky today that I think people shouldn't subject their kids to me either. Because most of the time I don't like kids either! There got that off my chest. I can't believe you are really going to move to Alabama. Where in Alabama? I love Zillow. I look everyday trying to find the perfect place for me. I keep telling Harley I am going to buy a tiny house and move to Florida!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... but how do you really feel? LOL! I love how we can all vent to one another in Blogville and still remain friends. Son and family are in a suburb of Montgomery, so near there's where we're looking. Florida? Really????

      Delete
  13. I smiled when I read Paula's comment about "Where is Alabama?" It's a strange and wonderful place. If she drives to Florida from just about anywhere she will have to drive through Alabama or Georgia.
    I love Florida but I just read that the population of the Panhandle of Florida will grow by 30 percent in the next five years. Traffic is already a nightmare there. I can't imaging what it will be like in five years.
    Just know that when you move to Alabama that the heat is different here. It doesn't normally get as hot as Arizona, but with humidity that that makes the air as thick as peanut butter in July, August, and September it can be brutal. I've heard more than one visitor comment in August - "How the HELL DO YOU PEOPLE LIVE HERE." :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. True, that. (... recalling a particularly memorable July 4 spent riverside Montgomery.) Nevertheless, I think getting to witness 4 seasons and being near family is most important.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ugh, your 7-day forecast is brutal. I don't care HOW dry your air is... those temperatures are WAY too hot!

    There was a story in last night's newspaper about an incident on an airplane with a service dog. His owner has several emotional issues, including PTSD and bipolar condition. That dog attacked another passenger on the airplane, and bit him multiple times on the face. The airline said (as of yesterday, anyway... I haven't gotten to today's paper yet) that it wasn't going to press any charges against the dog's owner. Something tells me the passenger who had to get all those stitches in his face WILL be suing the airline, though.

    Very cool about moving to Alabama. One of our sons and his family live in Daphne, which isn't far from the Gulf and Mobile Bay. Fantastic area!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG about that service dog! 'Wonder what the 'victim' might have done - even innocently - to precipitate that attack. I'm no expert in canine behavior, but I'd never discount an animal's intuition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to the follow-up story, the dude didn't do anything. Witnesses said guy was in the window seat, so he had no way to escape when the dog went after him. The dog started growling at first and then without provocation, lunged for the guy's face. His owner pulled him off once, and then the dog went after the guy again.

      Still, I trust a dog's intuition, too... usually. Latest update on this story is the guy's lawyer says he will be suing the airline for allowing the dog to be in the cabin unrestrained.

      Delete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!