Sunday, June 18, 2017

Changes and challenges



Oh, but I dislike change!
Yes, I'm fretting.  Why?

Another blogger said it best:
"We work so hard at being in control while things just keep being hurled at us, proving that we're not."  So, we worry.  We fret about the things that scare us.  And then we worry some more.


Due to a coveted lobby renovation, the comfortable spot I've called my 'home-away-from-home' these last 14 years is going away ...



....in favor of a 1-in-4 pod (aka, Cell block B)


... Never mind that construction may not begin for another year, I can't help but feel I'm getting the bum's rush.  Silly, perhaps, but the first thing that popped in my mind was, "This is the first time in 47 years I won't have a desk of my own." 
There, I said it.  Ego, party of one.

As management prefers the 'simplistic' look (absolutely no pin-ups), I found a simple silver picture frame plus an old ash tray that belonged to my dad for holding paperclips and the like.  
I need a private, tangible reminder of my parents who worked so hard, so long without complaint.  Because of their example, I don't know how to give less than 100%.


But! If all goes according to plan (there's that 'control' thing again), I'm not long for this particular arena.  This down-sizing should be a good practice for our own move.

Meanwhile, instead of visiting blogs while eating lunch at my desk, I'll be going to the designated breakroom; and when (if?) the weather cools, taking a seat on the grassy knoll out back.  Pretty, isn't it?




* * *

On the home-front, we've finally(!) new flooring in the great-room.
We opted for ceramic tile (v. laminate or hardwood) for simpler maintenance. 

No, I'm not fond of the transition piece -- but truly it was the best of the lot.   Since ours is an open concept floor plan, I may see about ordering the same pattern for a kitchen back-splash to tie things together.  (OCD, much?)


* * *

In other news ....
Sassy B.J. (at Sweet Nothings) recently shared this Farmer's Prayer on her Facebook page.  Oh, what wonderful lessons I'm blessed to receive from friends and strangers, alike!

Anyway, in light of those who are facing real challenges, I couldn't wait to share it here:


A visiting Priest was attending a men’s breakfast in Farm County. He asked one of the impressive older farmers in attendance to say grace that morning. After all were seated, the older farmer began ...

“Lord, I hate buttermilk.”
The Priest opened one eye and wondered to himself where this was going.
   

Then the farmer loudly proclaimed, “Lord, I hate lard.”
Now the Priest was overly worried. However without missing a beat, the farmer prayed on,

“And Lord, you know I don’t care much for raw white flour.”
   
Just as the Priest was ready to stand and stop everything, the farmer continued,
“But Lord, when you mix ‘em all together and bake ‘em up, I do love fresh biscuits. So Lord, when things come up we don’t like, when life gets hard, when we just don’t understand what you are sayin' to us, we just need to relax and wait ‘till You are done mixin’, and probably it will be somethin' even better than biscuits.
   
Amen.”
  


Hugs from Phoenix, and 
... have yourselves a wonderful new week!
Myra



   




  




29 comments:

  1. Well I don't blame you one bit - I'd hate that cubicle thing. Plus no personal pin ups??? Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, my boss had a change of heart and told me to order 'sticky boards' and white magnetic boards for all to hang 'things.' Confounded!

      Delete
  2. That floor is fabulous!
    And that story about the farmer's prayer is a good illustration. Thanks for sharing it. I'm always saving little stories like that to help explain things to those with questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the farmer's prayer. Got some good sound country logic!
    Yep, something in us humans despise change, unless we do it. Cause I hate it when someone wants ME to MOVE MY STUFF!. LOL I don't blame you in the least.

    As always, if enjoy my visit here. Love the floor BTW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Jack. Thanks for being in my corner!

      Delete
  4. I love that prayer too. How many times have I said to myself that this is going to be challenging to accept and later down the road, I'm realizing it changed me for the better. Change is hard and I hope the office make over transition goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Like that Garth Brooks lyric goes, "Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers."

      Delete
  5. It's a shock - not to mention a violation - when a private desk (and your private space) are doomed to become a generic cell block.
    Just keep thinking of it as a Big Motivation for your upcoming move.....

    New flooring?? I luv it - and I'm admittedly envious. I definitely need new flooring - - not to mention more space - - a huge tractor (for the weeds) - and a psychiatrist to figure out exactly why the heck I decided to move here.
    (am I depressed? naw...)

    BTW - that's the best prayer I've heard in a long time. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so cute. Big Motivation, indeed!

      Being as I loathe Summer (it's supposed to be 120 tomorrow, better send that psychiatrist over here when you're done with him!

      Delete
  6. A great prayer for sure. LOve the floor. Very nice indeed. Sorry to see your office space messed with. Unfortunately nothing you can do but go with the flow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, you're right. An 'attitude' will get me no-where.

      Delete
  7. Due to certain things happening at work (grrrr) I've come to realize perhaps God is wanting me to take a leap of faith, like perhaps Abraham did when God told him to leave his family and settle where God wanted him to be. Abraham just did it, not knowing completely (and seeing the outcome) of the plan God had for him. Maybe the cubicle is God's leap of faith he wants you to take, whatever it might be. I find myself thanking God for the job he is going to lead me to as I try to take that leap of faith (its hard).

    I do like the flooring.

    I do like that farmer's prayer. Its like Ma, always being grateful for what she has to work with.

    Stay cool (if you can) in toasty Phoenix!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried something was going on with your job ... and messing with your peace of mind, Betty. Holding you in my prayers!

      Delete
  8. I'm a fretted too. Not having your own desk? There "aughtta be a law agin it."
    I like the flooring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the big smile your words put on my face this morning ... before coffee, even!

      Delete
  9. I love that prayer. It says a lot for sure ! These words take in the mixing up I've had the past few months and I'm hoping that when things come up we don’t like, when life gets hard, when we just don’t understand what you are sayin' to us, we just need to relax and wait ‘till You are done mixin’, and probably it will be somethin' even better than biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it, too. Thanks for saying so!

      Delete
  10. I am not blogging right now or commenting due to my hubby having a stroke on Saturday. I was deleting from my feedly and glancing at photos and I saw your post and read it. thanks. the quote helped
    "We work so hard at being in control while things just keep being hurled at us, proving that we're not."  So, we worry.  We fret about the things that scare us.  And then we worry some more.. I am a control freak and am busy controlling or trying right now. thanks for the post and the story about the biscuits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a total control freak, too! It's so hard sometimes; I can feel your frustration.

      Delete
  11. Change is so hard. And something I have never liked. I don't like change of any kind. And always fought it tooth and nail. Would have made my life so much easier to have just been able to embrace it and move on. But, nope, I had to fight everything. I love the looks of your new floor. I am pondering ceramic tiles in my kitchen and dining room. Time will tell. Loved the prayer. It really puts it all into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been comfortable with change, but it's getting worse as I get older. Wonder if I'll ever quit looking for guarantees ...

      Delete
  12. Change is never a good thing!!! The grassy knoll looks lovely. Your flooring looks great. The prayer is amazing, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not a fan of change either, but it is the one constant in life. Nothing lasts forever. Sometimes change can be a new adventure and you end up liking it better than what came before. I WOULD like to change my flooring though, and yours looks great. I have that on my to-do list but it keeps getting moved to the bottom. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From your lips to God's ears, Dayle!

      Delete
  14. P.S. I'd love to follow you on Facebook. Look me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Color me delighted! Going there now!

      Delete
  15. Boo on the cubicles and not being able to personalize your space. I would hate that!

    We are going to put the tile that looks like wood in our bathroom and I would like to put it throughout the house, but we will see. The hubby is not as young as he used to be.

    I read that farmer's prayer somewhere else recently. It's a great way to look at things.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!