Sunday, May 14, 2017

Rules, Regulations ... and Randomness



Thank you so much for your prayers and positivity, m'friends!  Aside from the gosh-awful 'bouffant' cap they made me put on ... and conspicuous absence of a coffee bar, Tuesday's procedure wasn't nearly as awful as I feared.

Beth-from-Buffalo, Tony-from-Kenya and Ricky-from-the-OR were amazing.   More than once, I wondered if they were really Real or an effect of the joy juice.   Sensing my aversion to the 'gas mask' Tony explained (that) the peculiar smell isn't ether, but the material itself.  "Remember, when you were a child and opened a brand-new inflatable beach ball?"   (Why yes ... yes I do!)

Now some of their rules seem absurd to the layperson ... but I have to remember they're there because some random someone, somewhere goofed big-time.   I lost track of how many folks came and went, but every stinkin' one asked to see my wrist band and made me recite my name and date of birth. 
("
Seriously!  Don't y'all talk to one another?")



Another rule - this one way more difficult to swallow - occurred at my workplace last week:   No-one (including my boss!) is permitted to carry keys any longer.  What a pain, having to ask Security for a temp pass every time I want to use the bathroom.  I can only presume this (company-wide) policy is a result of increasing workplace violence.  What a world .....



'Hoping and praying that DH keeps his composure Wednesday when we go through airport security.  The reason for THAT practice goes without saying. 
Still, the last time we flew (I thought) the TIA was unnecessarily aggressive -- and worried Tom's temper was going to get him arrested.    (After all, we probably bear  a marked resemblance to probable terrorists.  LOL.) 
One of them called him a "lump of coal."  Can you believe it?


* * * * *


What's in a name?

Has anyone else ever wondered, who gets naming rights to city streets?   That would be cool.  Plus methinks, what a kick it would be to name a hurricane!  (Would I choose one that reminds me of someone I admire ..... or, a witch(-with-a-'b')?

Because my tried and true lipstick shade was abruptly discontinued, I dreaded yesterday's task to find a suitable replacement ... then cracked myself up reading names of various cosmetics:  Forever Fawn, Eternal Iris, Everlasting Rhum. 

Cemetery sounds aside, some make me hungry:
Cinnamon Toast ... Caramel Latte ... Vanilla Pudding ...
(What?  No liver-and-onions?  No garlicky escargot?)


Who on earth would choose something called "Studded Kiss" or "Sweet Venom?"   (Damn, I'm old.)


* * *

In all seriousness .... 
Whether your mother is near or just near in your heart, I hope today's significance finds you smiling.


Mother, Myra and Caraleigh
Port Charlotte, FL (ca 2000)

DIL Lois (Susie), Sarah and Chloe (1997)




BTW, we're off to Alabama mid-week but I'll do my best to keep in touch ... as best I can w/o benefit of an old-fashioned keyboard!


Hugs from Phoenix,
Myra















 















27 comments:

  1. A lump of coal??? Yeah, that will do it! It amazes me that profiling CANNOT be used,Treat the silver haired 88 yrs old like a 20 year old, wild man or Muslim, how crazy is that?

    YES, YES Sherry gets UPSET when something she enjoys regularly is discontinued!

    Love the pic of your mom. And Happy Mothers Day to you sweet lady.

    Hold Tom's hand thru customs (or Hands!). I do not like or appreciate some of the procedures adopted. Flying went from my most favorite to least favorite way to travel. I know TSA doesn't care!

    Thanks for a good sensible read!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops ... thanks for not pointing out the error of my ways, writing TIA v. TSA!

      When all's said and done, I sure wouldn't want to be tasked with their responsibilities.

      Delete
  2. Having to get a security pass in order to use the restroom.....fervently hoping you won't look like a terrorist while going through airport security....
    The world has sure changed since I was a kid, and I don't like it.

    The new lipstick shades sound a lot like the new paint colors. You can no longer get pale orange - - it has to be Subtle Sedona Sunset.

    The photos are sweet. Have a happy Mother's Day and a pleasant trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Jon. Me, too.

      I'll never think of the word 'orange' in quite the same way again. Methinks you've a knack for this sort of thing!

      Delete
  3. GODSPEED on your journey midweek. Meanwhile HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad everything went well despite the lack of coffee.
    I want to get paid to think of the names of colors.
    Have a safe and good trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be fun?
      Thanks for your well-wishes, Stacy!

      Delete
  5. You're a doll to keep us updated on the surgery. I prayed but didn't know if I should ask any questions. Some people are private about their health. How inconvenient not to carry keys at work anymore. Hope the security people are friendly...and fast, too. Have a great trip--be safe and enjoy your time away. Tell Tom to behave himself in that airport!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, most of them were 'our' employees before the big corporate take-over, when Security had to be out-sourced. They know what buttons to push ... lol!

      Delete
  6. You know, one of the things I try to pray when someone is going into the hospital for whatever they are going into the hospital for is that they will feel the kindness of people from the very moment they walk into the door with all that will take care of them, checking in personnel, nurses, techs, doctors, etc. Seems like God did indeed answer that prayer based on your experience.

    Hospital policies for checking they have the correct patient. I'm sure somewhere way down the line in the past a mistake was made with a procedure on a wrong patient or wrong limb etc., and now its standard operating practice to do this.

    Was wondering when your trip was happening. Will say a prayer for all to be level headed the times of travel and that a great time will be held by one and all.

    Lovely pictures you shared today! I hope it was a very nice Mother's Day for you!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, Tom said there was a sign behind my bed that cautioned everyone to double-check patients' ID's. (I wonder if they don't feel a bit self-conscious, too!)

      Thank you so much for your prayers, m'friend!!

      Delete
  7. I'm glad to hear everything went well and now you can enjoy your trip. Thank you, I had a wonderful Mothers Day and hope you did too. Airport security and security in general seems to grow everyday. Who knew our world would turn into such a scary place. Have a great time away and enjoy every minute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my Sunday was low-key and delight-full.
      Who knew, indeed? Modern technology aside, I sometimes long for the way things used to be.

      Delete
  8. Glad the surgery went okay and oh my oh no keys allowed that's really a scary thing I do that the doors are not locked with you inside and you don't have a key to get out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, the locks are one-way so we're in no danger of being locked inside ... just inconvenienced. Our offices are right off the guest services lobby. Frankly, I'd be the first out a window if push were to come to shove. LOL!

      Delete
  9. Good news about the surgery Myra. Travel safe on your trip to Alabama. Remember, when you hear people say y'all that means you all :)
    I sent you an email. Send me a note and let me know when you'll be heading back through Birmingham to AZ. I'm hoping I can run by and meet y'all then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rick, I thought 'you all' was "all y'all" (...said friends from Prattville). BTW, I sent that e-mail you suggested/ Good times!

      Delete
  10. I'm glad to hear your surgery went well, and I hope you're back to feeling as sassy as ever now.

    We were just in Alabama a couple weeks ago. our older son and his family live very close to Mobile Bay and the Gulf, so on top of the joy of seeing them, it felt like a real vacation. Wherever you're going in AL, I hope you have a safe and enjoyable visit. As for flying? We've avoided airports like the plague since my hubby retired fifteen years ago. For us, it just isn't worth the hassle.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. Lucky you, not having to deal with flying and all the hassle. My son lives right outside Montgomery, but I remember visiting Mobile Bay and Dauphin Island years ago - bliss!

      Delete
  11. Safe travels, Myra!! Hoping for the best with security and DH!! :) Do keep us posted as you can! So happy to hear the procedure wasn't as bad as you thought it might be!! And what's with a temporary pass to go to the bathroom!? Good grief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Oh, already we've taken to leaving the door latch ajar ... even placing a small rock in the door jamb.

      Thank you so much for your wishes, Terri!! I've always been a white-knuckle flyer.

      Delete
  12. Glad everything went okay. I don't like rules. You are too funny about the lipstick. Love the photos. Have a safe and wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I am so happy your surgery went well. I know what you mean about hospitals and surgery centers and all the rest. After 32 years of working in the medical field, you wonder who come sup with some of this stuff?! Enjoy your trip! Oh what fun! I am not a fan of airports and TSA. SO many of those folks need an attitude adjustment, seriously! Rudeness should never be part of person's job in that situation for sure! UGH! Your photos are terrific. Love it! I found that silly pic of Noelle and I and had to share. We can get real silly around here. Some folks don't like it! HaHaHa! I love laughter! Ah...lip colors. I am an addict so I have so many to choose from, here is a sample, Vibrant Violet, Plum Velour, yummy Pink, Freeze Mauve, Sinless, Breeze ( my friend has a child named Breeze lol). I have some shiny lip colors that are named after NYC Boroughs! I have some wicked red colors too. HaHaHa! I will make you a list so you can chuckle but not while boarding a flight, might be too suspicious, laughter and all you know! Enjoy your trip and tell Tom, just breathe and think of something silly while entertaining the folks at the airport security or as my hubby says, Robo Cops without weapons most of the time! I was never in the box at Catholic school, why start now?!?! Love ya and enjoy your travels! Your phamily is simply B E A U T I F U L ! As for no work keys, what the heck is next?!?! Lord help us all is all I can think of, so over the top and I know you do not work for NORAD or any other secret govt. agency! Shhhh.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shhhh, indeedy! :) I adore your sweet and funny personality!

      Delete
  14. I have been a bit absent from the blogging world. Glad your procedure is over and you survived! :) Also you are probably in Alabama right now. Having a great time. We are off to Georgia soon ourselves!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!