Sunday, May 28, 2017

A Great Vay-cay!




"Yes, she's happy."  
... That was son Troy, affirming my (somewhat)astounded impression of his youngest, my granddaughter Chloe.  

Early on, you see, Chloe struggled to overcome a speech defect which exhibited itself in frustrated, angry outbursts. 
Our last two visits left DH and I scratching our heads when Chloe refused to leave her room for more than a few minutes at a time.   "She doesn't hate you; she just doesn't know you."  
(I wasn't convinced.)  
Thank goodness drugs were never an issue.  Nevertheless, some matters are best left unspoken. 


So, last week I was ridiculously delighted to discover a warm and well-spoken young lady whose smile lit up the room.  (Yup, I'm obviously biased, lol.)   Could be, a certain young man has something to do with it.
   


Actually, Chloe was not allowed to date until she graduated ..... but following a friend's introduction last fall, Jonathan must have liked what he saw.  Pretty soon he was over to the house every weekend .....then most every night to watch movies, what-have-you.  Son's rationale was that Jonathan - an RN at Jackson Hospital - had far more life experiences than his daughter.   They're both super quiet, but he appears pretty genuine -- and even took it upon himself to buy and install new windshield wipers for her car because he thought the old ones weren't safe.  

***

Aside from having to get out of bed at 2:00AM to catch our flight, I think this was the best vacation Tom and I've enjoyed in years.

My BF Debbie drove over from St. Petersburg to meet us for lunch at TIA.  SW Airlines even experienced a flight delay, allowing us nearly 3 hours of gossip and giggles.


         

Later that night in Montgomery I asked, "Where's Sarah?"
My DIL (*insert smile*) replied, "She's with her new boyfriend."  (Whaaaat?)

Following the break-up with her fiancé (sad, but still good thing) my older g'daughter didn't seem to be in any rush to date ... but a few days prior to our visit this fella formally asked her, "Will you be my girlfriend?"

Me-to-son: "So, what does he do for a living?"
With a straight face Troy replied, "Creed?  Oh, he's a drug dealer."
(Had me going for a minute, but actually he's a pre-med student and pharmacy tech.)




* * *

Celebrating Chloe ...

Me with Sarah, Chloe, DIL Lois and Troy

Oh ya, there were plenty of Kleenex moments.

Have y'all ever heard of a Senior Send-off?

I expected to weep when they played "Pomp and Circumstance" at graduation (that stinking melody never, ever fails to make me blubber!) but it was nothing compared to the video vignettes the 39 members of Chloe's class put together against a sound track that included,  "You're Gonna Miss This" ... "Don't Blink" ... "My Little Girl."

I seriously chortled through my tears when one girl's vignette began, "OK mom, I expect you're crying right now, but I need you to suck it up."

Is it my imagination or are today's graduates so much more 'together' than I was in '68?

In spite of DH's never having heard of Baccalaureate, the ceremony was lovely.  Ya, I cried  -- not when Chloe presented her dad with a long-stemmed carnation -- but when one of her classmates lay his flower at the base of a large frame containing an image of his dad who'd been deployed to the Middle East 9 days prior.

* * *




Having learned of the Manchester tragedy only moments before commencement, I can only imagine what was going through my son's mind in this picture. 
How vulnerable we've all become, you know?

.....but so very blessed.


So, life goes on.
It was rough saying goodbye, but I hope to get back for Sarah's college graduation in July, and goodness knows what else!

More to the point, there's a pile of jalapenos needing cleaned and Conecuh sausage to fry.  Poppers -- it's what's for supper. :)

As always, thanks for letting me share a bit of my heart.
I hope each of you are experiencing a wonderful holiday weekend ... and one, in particular, a very Happy Birthday!


Hugs from Phoenix!
Myra
















26 comments:

  1. OH lady this was a good one! The love coming through, and a little PRIDE could not be hid. Love the pictures, what a wonderful family time. Glad the Vacation was a success, I love it when one really works and pulls all the right strings.

    Way to go... You 'n Tom SWEET!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jack! Ya, there have been times when I tried pulling the WRONG strings (forcing an outcome) that didn't work out so hot.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful trip and you look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post! Your son and family are super cute and I enjoyed the pictures so much. They truly tell a story and I wish these two graduates happiness in life's travels. I'm glad you had a good time. You look wonderful and happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! Yes, I was pretty happy and it felt so good. :)

      Delete
  4. I do believe Chloe will do well with life with whatever she decides to pursue now that she has graduated. Too cute your son's response to your question of what Sarah's boyfriend did for a living (until he told the truth LOL). It reminded me of what my brother said years ago when announcing his daughter (my niece of course) was very serious about a guy. He said that she was dating a very nice young man and he was Buddist. I'm thinking, "wow, this is really liberal of my brother to let her do so, being devoutly Christian" only to have him say a few lines later that her intended was a strong man of Christian faith :)

    Pomp and Circumstance always gets me too, especially when people I love are marching to it.

    Sounded like a wonderful time; I hope you can duplicate it upon Sarah's graduation come July!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, I can just imagine your thought process at the Buddist remark!

      Not sure I can pull off another trip so soon; then again, there won't be a second chance.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful family time! I'm glad you had such a good time and see how well your granddaughter is doing. Thanks for sharing pictures of the fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for saying so, Stacy! That means a lot.

      Delete
  6. I'd say you did have a wonderful vacation with the extra added bonus of a graduation to celebrate. Such a wonderful family you have !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I'm sure you know the feeling, Ma!
      So grateful that God has chosen me to be their g'ma!

      Delete
  7. you really had a spectacular vay cay.. I can feel the joy and happiness coming through your words. I very much enjoyed the boyfriend story...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I had no real expectations going in! I guess it's true, when one lets go and lets God ...

      Delete
  8. How wonderful that Chole has a boyfriend. That must make you very happy. Sounds like a fabulous trip, so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it sure does! (Except now I've something else to worry about ... LOL, I'm a train wreck!)

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed this update and am glad that you had a great time.

      One observation: I think it was a very wise decision not to let Chloe date until after graduation.
      I have a sixteen-year-old relative who is now a (reluctant) mother - thanks to the fact that she was allowed to run wild at an early age.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you said that (about Chloe). My son adores his girls and is VERY over-protective; even to the point of enrolling them in a private school come their teens.
      I hope your 16-y/o relative and her baby defy the odds. It's been done!

      Delete
  10. Happy you had a great time. We are off to Georgia tomorrow to see Darian graduate from basic training and becoming an infantryman for the U. S. Army. Sure hope he doesn't have to see any war action very soon. Your family looked delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  11. I hope so, too, Paula! Please have fun, laugh loudly, and take scads of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Graduations are pivotal moments for those graduating and those attending. Glad you all had a wonderful time celebrating. Thanks for the birthday wishes. I appreciate them more than you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome. I'm particularly passionate about birthdays!

      Delete
  13. What a wonderful vacation! It's hard to believe some of our grandchildren are graduating already, isn't it? (We have a Chloe, too.)

    Great pics. Thanks for sharing with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan! I recently saw something sobering out on FB about this year is the last graduating class of children born in the 1900's.

      Delete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!