Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Spring(-ish) Hodgepodge



Volume 305
Joyce, thank you for these gentle prompts
 ... helping jump-start my writing block!


* * *


"April showers bring May flowers", or so the saying goes. Has your April been filled with showers?

Um, no.  Last week our humidity levels hovered between 7% - 9%.

Do you carry an umbrella, wear a slicker, or make a run for it?

I love umbrellas!  Then again, given all the product I put in my hair, the raindrops would probably bounce right off.

Besides rain, what else has filled your April?

Too many doctors' appointments and worry genes running amok.  Not going there right now. 




What's something you could give a 30-minute presentation on at a moment's notice and with zero preparation?

Oh wow, just the idea of giving a presentation makes my teeth chatter!
'Suppose I could stretch out the preparation of seafood crepes with champagne sauce ..... my only take-away from cooking class.




Share with us a favorite food memory from childhood.

On the few occasions when my dad was home for Sunday dinner -- once the roast was ready, he'd give me a little crust of bread smeared with salted marrow.  It's been more than 50 years, but I'll never forget that seemed like the best taste in the history of EVER.




What's a song you thought you knew the lyrics to, but later discovered you were wrong?

No one song comes to mind, but I've championed the art of "la-la-la'ing" along to more than a few stanzas!




According to one travel website, the most over-rated tourist attractions in America are:  Niagra Falls, Hollywood Walk of Fame, Times Square, Epcot, Seattle Space Needle and Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market.  How many of these have you seen in person?

I've not visited the Space Needle or Faneuil Hall.

Did you feel like a tourist?  Did you care?

Aside from someone (in Manhattan) cautioning me, "Please don't embarrass me by standing on the street corner and looking up." I never considered being a tourist a bad thing.

Tell us about a place (not on the list) you've visited that might be considered a tourist trap, but you love it anyway.







Your signature clothing item?

I've worn heels for so many years, my feet sometimes feel 'off' in sneakers.




What's an experience you've had you think everyone should experience at least once?

Seeing the Grand Canyon up close and in person can't be beat.

Unlike her more exuberant sister ...a few years ago our pragmatic g'daughter cracked me up: "Wow.  I thought we were just going to see a big hole in the ground."




Insert your own random thought here.

Color me excited!
We recently finalized plans to visit son and family in Alabama next month.  Not only does our long layover in Tampa allow for lunch with BF Debbie ... but I'm hoping to meet and break bread with blog pal Rick and his wife!






Have yourselves a beautiful rest of the week, m'friends!

Hugs from Phoenix,
Myra











21 comments:

  1. I always like it when you do these.

    I rarely wear heels anymore. My feet just can't take it when I do. i'll stick with my cowboy boots or flip flops. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for telling me this, Kim!

      I really hope to treat myself to my first pair of cowboy boots soon!

      Delete
  2. Your delightful answers always make me smile - - except when you mention doctor appointments and worry genes running amok.

    April showers?? I don't think April has yielded one dry day here in Tennessee. I regret not buying a houseboat.

    Childhood food memories? My Hungarian grandmother's homemade soup!!!
    And pizza from the Pizza Mill in New Jersey. It was the best pizza on earth.

    A 30 minute presentation?
    I would rather undergo ten root canals than give a presentation.
    But I could talk about Richard Wagner's "Ring Cycle" for thirty minutes. That would put the audience to sleep and I could sneak out early.....

    I agree with you about the Grand Canyon. It's a "must-see".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when you play along, Jon!
      'Wonder if the Hungarian soup you remember so fondly isn't similar to those (Polish recipes) my hubby speaks of.

      Delete
  3. Love the marrow story! Guess I'm not the only one with tons of product on my hair, but I love umbrellas too. Excited for your travel plans and hope you have ample time with friends as well as family. Praying for your health. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! Prayers are never taken for granted.

      Delete
  4. Myra! Tampa is just 45 minutes from me. I know it won't work this time, but please keep Lakeland in mind when you get over this way again!! I enjoyed your Hodgepodge! Safe travels!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Terri, you've no idea how often I've fantasized about taking a long weekend to come nosh with my blog friends! Promise, it's not an "if" but a "when."!

      Delete
  5. I never get tired of your answers, your wording just fits. Like the Saleslady I must say I love the marrow story.
    Yep not many things out do SEEING the Grand Canyon!
    Shucks, I "knowed" you were a heels lady! ;-) Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, I'm curious how you 'knowed' I enjoyed heels, Jack! :)
      Thanks for the smile you've put on my face.

      Delete
  6. How fun with your upcoming trip and getting to meet another blog pal! We've been running the humidifiers here with that low humidity. We keep shocking each other, LOL :) I admire you that you are still able to wear heels! Those were disposed of several years back!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about bringing out our humidifiers! (Note to self ....)Cross fingers, it all works out!

      Delete
  7. This was a fun hodgepodge because now I feel like I know you even better than before. Sounds fun visiting Alabama. I would love to see Sedona Arizona or anything in Arizona it's on my bucket list. I gave up heels 30 years ago due to a back problem. Haha on the hair product I laughed out loud. Wish we had your humidity here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks for saying that. If y'all want to see Arizona, we'd love to be your 'bed and breakfast' hosts!

      Delete
  8. I wore heals for years and like you felt uncomfortable in sneakers, but then while hanging curtains standing on a chair I flipped over and broke my foot. Everything changed after that I now only wear flat shoes and very comfortable ones at that. How great you have that trip planned. What a treat to meet up with friends !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, Ma ... your fall had to have been so frightening, and well could have been so much worse. I make Tom promise not to get on the ladder (to change a/c filters) when he's home alone.

      Delete
  9. i love umbrellas too. i wonder if you like these new reverse umbrellas. they open from the top not the bottom. they seem to be all the rage. which makes me tempted. what about you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Embarrassed, party of one: I never heard of 'reverse' umbrellas!

      I'll have to check them out next month ... a novel gift idea for two young ladies I love a lot!

      Delete
  10. Just seeing those heels make my feet hurt! Especially since I am still getting over my 'bout with gout' I love the sound of that. All of my umbrellas came from where Richard worked so they have Eaton emblazoned all over them. I have never visited Times Square, Quincy Market, Niagara Falls or the Space Needle. And I thought we had been to so many places. LOL! I loved the Grand Canyon. Many good memories of that trip with Richard and friends of ours when we went to a nursing conference in Las Vegas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My boss' husband works for an outfit named Eaton!
      I suspect your and Richard's travels eclipse this list, for sure!

      Delete
  11. Ha, Ha for #2 and your hair. My May is getting filled with doctor's appointments and now I'm supposed to have six weeks of PT on my knee, 2 to 3 days a week!!! I haven't worn heals in 20 years. Love your random, have a great time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!