Wednesday, April 5, 2017

On a lighter note!



Volume 303


Joyce asks ... and we respond.   Easy-peasy!
Won't you click here, and join the fun!


* * *

April is Lawn and Garden Month.  On a scale of 1-10, what's the current state of your lawn and/or garden?  (10 = showpiece, 1 = send in the professionals).   Tell us about any lawn or garden plans you have for this month.


Okay, my first inclination was to answer "2" ... but that's not being fair to Tom.  He has some great ideas to restore the back yard and pool deck.  But(!) I worry about his stamina, particularly in Phoenix's unrelenting heat.
It's a balancing act, wanting to hire a professional service without insulting his ego.




"Many things grow in the garden that were never sown there." (Thomas Fuller)  What does this quote mean to you?


My DIL has an amazing knack for turning bare earth into beauty ... and sharing her passion with our grand-darlings.
(Not so sure they still enjoy it, but that's what came to mind!)




What's the first thing that comes to mind when you think about God?


Merciful (and Mighty)



If we were chatting in person, how would I know if you were nervous?


Embarrassing.  More often than not, I'm not even aware (that) I'm gnawing on my cuticles or worrying the sides of my thumbnails raw.  
(Eeeew, right?  Maybe I should take to wearing gloves.)





Do you like the color yellow?  Would I find any in your home or wardrobe?  Daffodils, tulips, roses, sunflowers, day lily, black-eyed Susan ... which yellow bloom on this list is your favorite?


I adore yellow!
From this list, I'd have to say tulips ... or sunflowers.
Nevertheless, I delight in dandelions.  Yes, I know they're technically weeds ...  not sure why they got such a bad rep.

I can't wear yellow, but that's no excuse for my not having more of it around our home.  It's such an optimistic color, don't you think?




Flip-flops or bare feet?


Bare feet!  
Personally, I think flip-flops are dangerous.  A while back, while sitting at a red light -  my BF's mother's flip-flop began sliding off her foot.  Fearing the car was rolling she stomped on the brake pedal ... except it was the gas.
Thank goodness, no other vehicle was involved, but she suffered some significant injuries when her car catapulted into a big tree.  



Tell us about any Easter plans, celebrations or traditions you'll carry out this month.


!To Be Determined!
(I really want to attend church, so we'll probably skip Sunday's family brunch and arrive just in time for grandson's birthday cake n' ice cream.  Eat dessert first, right?!)

Tom has such great memories surrounding his extended Polish family's Easter observances - blessing of the baskets, etc.  
I'm a little envious!  





Insert your own random thought here.


Any other fans of grilled cheese sandwiches out there?
The other day, Kroger's was demo-ing an amazing twist!

Slice of California white sourdough, brushed on both sides with unsalted butter and layered with --
Grated Parmesan Cheese
Grated Bourbon Bellavitano (cheese)
Roasted Red Pepper
Thin-sliced Salami
Fresh Spinach Leaf
.....Grilled on low heat to a gooey, delicious finish.

No, I didn't buy the ingredients, but I'm definitely going to do so next weekend!   
I wonder what substituting fresh basil for the spinach would taste like. ... too overpowering, maybe?



'Tween now and then, have a wonderful week and take good care!


Hugs from Phoenix,
Myra

25 comments:

  1. I live barefoot, when I leave home I wear sandals, no shoes owned except the walking shoes for exercise. I love flip flops but at my age I use sandals instead. not as good as I used to be.
    our grass is dead from the drought.. it amazes me how often your answers are my answers also. no yellow clothes and no yellow in the house but love yellow flowers, any flower with yellow, but not roses. I like mine wild looking and love dandelions to. sunflowers and daisies are my favorites.
    the gril cheese sounds wonderful but have to leave out peppers and an no basil for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I nearly said daisies, too! Nope, I'm not a fan of roses, either.
      Yay for bare feet!

      Delete
  2. I would go light on the basil if you decide to make the substitution. Otherwise, it sounds delicious! Oh gosh, Tom and me would have so much fun talking about Easter traditions; I do remember the blessing of the baskets and the panic of my mom getting everything baked in time to be ready for the blessing time (she always made it, but was always panicked, and I wonder where I get my anxiety from, LOL).

    So true about yellow being an optimistic color :) I only wear flip-flops around the house; too dangerous anywhere else LOL :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so funny (about the anxiety), Betty! I'll have to share this with Tom. :)
      I doubt I'm even coordinated enough to wear flip-flops inside. (LOL)

      Delete
  3. I can identify with many of your answers - although I don't have a lawn or garden. I have two terrifying acres of massive man-eating weeds.

    I'm always nervous when chatting with people (and some animals). And I have ravaged fingernails to prove it.

    Yellow is my second-favorite color (blue is my first).

    Easter? I plan to eat Easter candy and ham. Not at the same time. And if I'm soused and bored I might dye some eggs - just to resurrect childhood memories.

    I can attest to the fact that one should never drive while wearing flip-flops (or run).

    Your random thought made me drool. Sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and here, just when I thought we were twins separated at birth, you go and tell me your favorite color is blue ... and you actually like ham?
      JK, my friend. Differences make the world go round.

      Delete
  4. I'm not a big fan of yellow for clothes, but I like it for flowers.

    Bare feet always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too much basil, but you could mix them! We LOVE grilled cheese and dress them up frequently with pickles or tomatoes and sometimes meat of some kind. Yum. I enjoyed your Hodgepodge!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri. Tom loves him some pickles. I'll have to mention that.

      Delete
  6. I always get a kick out of your answers. When I read the question I am at a loss for words, that is except the lawn. i would rate about a 1.5 methinks.
    I ALWAYS love the visit to your house. WE B BEAT tonight.
    But thinking of the Big guy, yep the heat can suck the strength right out of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting, even after your long day! You guys are the best!

      Delete
  7. That sandwich sounds mouthwatering. Dandelions and professionals go together in my vocabulary. BUt I can't afford them so yellow is my favorite spring color by default.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You craft the cutest comments, Terre! I had to do a double-take ... and then chuckle. Thanks!

      Delete
  8. My lawn needs work perpetually but I'm hooking and jabbing:)
    R

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Easter Sunday at church! Usually 3 of my 7 children and their families are able to be there too. I do like the color yellow and believe it to be very cheerful also. That sandwich sounds absolutely wonderful! Yep the basil leaves would probably not be the right choice. I do like spinach on sandwiches instead of lettuce. Hope you too are having a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, that's what Tom thought. I'd really like to make time to learn more about cooking with fresh herbs.

      Delete
  10. Tom and I grew up similarly. We always had our breakfast food blessed on Holy Saturday and Sunday morning we ate hard boiled eggs and polish sausage cold for breakfast with beautiful braids of yeasty bread. I like cheese sandwiches too, but can't eat the ones you mentioned. Sounds yummy though! And yellow!!!! I can't wear it either but I love my daffodils and yesterday Tom brought in the first yellow rose on my bush and we placed it in a bud vase. Today it opened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What lovely traditions you share. All's I can recall were dreadful lukefisk suppers at the Lutheran church. (*Shudder*)

      Delete
  11. I love being barefoot too. I can't stand that thing between my toes! LOL! My favorite color of tulip is yellow mixed with a few red ones. Oh I must go to the store and buy me a bunch of tulips. And I love yellow sunflowers!! That sandwich sounds amazing. Richard loved to garden. I haven't been out much since he is gone. Maybe I should throw out a few seeds this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know if this qualifies as 'gardening' but son told me about a promotion Cheerios is doing, sending anyone who asks, a packet of wild flower seeds. Besides green peas (bleah), I've not planted anything since grade school.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yellow is my favorite color. I'm not a fan of flip flops with the thingy between the toe and I certainly wouldn't drive with them. Looks like we will be doing something different this Easter. Usually I cook a big dinner each year. That grilled cheese sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeay, another fan of yellow!
      I'll be looking forward to your big Easter 'reveal' Debby!

      Delete
  14. Up until two weeks ago we had a gray/white/yellow comforter on our bed and cheery yellow curtains. Switched to the bold coral/white with matching solid coral curtains. I would paint the trim of our house yellow if I could. I only wear flip flops at home. Having had two toenails removed by an idiot doctor that for the past 7 years has given me nothing but pain and suffering in my left foot. I would never recommend any sane person do this barbaric procedure. I do love grilled cheese and always have. I like it best dipping it in tomato soup. Our grandgirl Christal and hubby Alex will be married in their Catholic church tomorrow as well as be baptized along with their three kids. We are excited to attend their church wedding. We normally attend our RedRocks CHurch services but tomorrow will be Nick's last for hours before heading back to school for a few weeks. I am a nervous wreck of a momma. All the kids are here for the time being. We just like being together especially on the holidays. My folks did Easter up right and I miss those days. A friend posted a piece about Jesus and hisdeath and resurrection. Ever since I was a small child I was very sad and always will be for the horrible physical pain he suffered but grateful he saved such a sinner like me. That is one reason why I love my blog. I am tired of social media and the hatefulness running over there. I have one thought, one day Jesus will return and end all the earthly misery will end. Nothing matters to me but what God thinks. I could care less about all the judgmental junk people spew and always the worst offenders are those only wanting their opinions heard. My thoguhts today and always are what God says and what he thinks. Otherwise I am not interested. I think the media and popular culture has gotten so bigoted they want their agenda alone and I watch my local news simply for the weather and occasionally highs school sports. I do not even care for the opinions of borish overpaid journalists on eSPN and other sport networks. My father would always say tomorrow they will still be millionaires and you will continue to work and save for your simple life. Sorry to be so long winded. Just had it on my mind. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!