Sunday, March 5, 2017

This n' That



Holy cow ... it's been a while!
Still, if my thoughts had become print they might have rivaled War and Peace.  (OK, I exaggerate.  A little.)

I've nothing remotely remarkable to share, but here are a few excerpts from the days we called February.

***

Unlike DH, I'm not much of a television watcher.
But watching him gaze longingly at others' whizz-bang, smart TV's, I agreed it was time to part with our elephantine, 90's-era set. 



Unfortunately, the existing cubbyhole that seemed so charming when the house was built in '03 precluded our getting anything larger than a 36" screen.   What were we thinking?!?

We tried sitting it atop the cubby, but someone complained didn't appreciate being unable to see down the hall.

Next, my OCD kicked in because it looked too short to occupy the cubby.   Thankfully, DH had a vision ... a skill saw and can of flat white paint.


Where I expected just a block of wood, this almost looks like a custom piece, plus it hides all those homely cords.

* * *

So, with an eye on listing our home next year, I'm anxious to replace our beyond-UGLY carpet. 



After much back-and-forth, we settled on a ceramic tile that looks amazingly like warm cherry hardwood.  

Now, I've never pretended to know much about interior design.  But something in me chaffed big-time when informed at the design center (that) we'd require a 3"-4" border/transition between the existing and new flooring.  All they offered were  jeweled-tone tiles that look much like a kitchen backsplash.
Their idea seems not 'trendy', but 'tacky'... especially in a smallish room.   Is it just me? ... or does this look like a diamondback slithered inside, exclaiming "look at me!" 

Whoops ... Oversight alert!
This photo was lifted from the internet because it resembles our kitchen ..... but we've had nothing done YET.

Back to the drawing board.  (sigh.)  Where are Chip and Joanna Gaines when I need them?


* * *

So, last weekend DH turned 75 ... with little fanfare.  I loved your suggestions (thank you!), but in the end we're low-key sort of folks.

Still, I wanted to surprise Tom. 
Remembering the German Chocolate cake he loves ... that his daughter used to promise to bake each year (for naught) ... I consulted the internet.   While I didn't find any nearby bakeries that carried that delicacy, there was one in NYC that promised overnight delivery.
Thankfully, common sense prevailed before I agreed to pay $60-plus for a 6" cake. 

In the end, I pulled up my big-girl panties and decided to make one myself ... from scratch.   It's been a long time since 11th grade Home Economics -- where I swore I'd never sift flour again -- but afterwards I felt (almost) proud at his delight.  

Ugly as home-made sin, but he's eaten almost the whole thing!
... and no, I'm not anxious to repeat the experience.  LOL.

* * *

In spite of my misgivings, we're supposed to warm up 'for real' by next weekend.   (Like there's anything I can do about it?)
'Must remember how thrilled I become each Fall, the first day the mercury doesn't hit 100.  Perspective's a great tool ... when I remember to use it.

Have a wonderful new week, everyone!
Hugs from Phoenix,
Myra





22 comments:

  1. Thanks for my evening laughter. I love the new floor and also really like the solution to the TV but that Diamondback would have to go. Of course I have no Solutions of what to replace it with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for concurring! Thankfully, that's not my floor ... or I'd be sobbing in the corner.

      Delete
  2. I love the This and that. Tom 'Done good', it looks great.
    Just for your information, German Chocolate Cakes 'ain't s'pos'd to be 'purty' just GOOD! Now I am not a chocoholic like my girl, but German chocolate isn't really chocolate, just GOOD! YOurs looks delicious and moist I would jump into it too.
    From Deltona...... Love! U.B. smart to avoid the 5" cake. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! Thankfully, I'm not fond of chocolate. Even the mixer batters escaped being licked. LOL.

      Delete
  3. Okay, six inch cake (Them keys are close) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure hope you find a transition piece that looks just right. I can see why you would not like it to look like a Diamondback. Good for you making that cake for Tom. What a gift of love! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of it that way ... thanks, Mary!

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday to Tom!

    I don't care for that diamondback pattern either but I can't think of a solution right off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay tuned! Supposedly they've new samples for consideration. (SMH.)

      Delete
  6. Our rental house in Prescott had two different tiles in the kitchen and main area (same with bathrooms and bedrooms) and there were no traditional tiles and it looked perfectly fine. When hubby had new tile put in at the house he inherited in San Diego, there were two different tiles and no talk of traditional tiles. I think it looks a bit odd myself. I'd go for a 2nd opinion with a different designer :) We did that with the fence we want to put around the pool. The first guy who came to get an estimate had his idea of what he wanted and didn't really work with what hubby envisioned. The 2nd estimator listened and agreed with what hubby wanted and he got the work :) (Personally I hate dealing with it all; just want the work done).

    It saddens me you might be listing your house next year but I understand the reasons why :)

    LOL with the TV, but it seemed like a workable fix that Tom devised!

    Personally, the $60 would have been worth it myself, but the cake does indeed look like a labor of love!

    I'm looking forward to the 80s :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Why does there have to be so many choices?! Like you, I just want the work done and over with.

      Delete
  7. I love what Tom did for the TV! It looks marvelous. I'm with you on not liking that tile strip between the two tiles. I see nothing wrong with just running them together. Woulnd't it be lovely to have Chip and Joanna come over!!!! So are you thinking about moving?? I want to list my house too. But I don't want to do any updating before I leave. If I could afford to update it the way I wanted to I would just stay here!! I loved that you baked Tom that cake. It looks delicious to me!! I haven't baked a cake from scratch since....oh, geeze, maybe as long as you! I'm all about the box cake!! I'm with Betty! I would have probably spent the $60. But I bet it wouldn't have tasted as good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet, Paula. Yes, I hope we're out-a here next year and will find a place near(er) my son in Alabama.

      Delete
  8. It seems many go for tile or hard wood floors these days instead of carpet. I prefer carpet myself in the living room and will have it when I move. The big concern is that the dining area is also carpeted and I'm thinking I will put an area rug under the table just in case of spills. The kitchen and the bath will be the only floors I'll have that aren't carpeted. Good for you baking that cake. I bet it was delicious. Happy Birthday to Tom! He did do a great job with the TV. Hope you have a wonderful week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to feel the same way, Ma... (but) besides the dogs' damage, with the crazy heat in Phoenix, I think/hope tile will help keep the place cooler.

      Delete
  9. The new home for the TV looks great.

    I personally don'/t like transition pieces at all, especially Diamondbacks. Perhaps something more subtle...and less lethal....

    Kudos for taking the time to bake a German chocolate cake! I'd rather perish than pay 60 buckeroos for one!!!
    I haven't had a German chocolate cake in years. My Mom used to bake perfect ones - it was her specialty (...and she was never fond of baking).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all about subtle, Jon. Seriously, thanks for saying so!
      So much you've written about your mom ... I wish I'd have had the pleasure of knowing her.

      Delete
  10. You are a sweetie for baking that cake. it looked yummy. And that cubby is now complete with the new tv. GOOD job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad the TV worked out, it looks nice. That cake looks yummy! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw....homemade is the best! My niece Karla is an excellent cook and for her son ryan;s high school graduation a few years ago, she baked hi a HUGE German Chocolate Cake. Sigh!We just bought a smart TV. When I spent those long hours in the ER a month ago the kind nurse spent lots of time visiting with me, knowing I was scared out of my wits! She said she bought a smart TV and it was not too dofficult to set up. We love that we can watch Netflex or other older videos etc. Without hassling with a DVD player, blah blah blah. I am technically challenged. LOL! Tom reminds me of my hubby. So smart and savvy working out a plan for the previous TV cubby. Lovely! We use the wall mounts. My grandson's mother-in-law had a huge plasma TV sitting on a TV stand. Shewas tossing dog toys in their basket and boom, one hit the corner and shattered that TV like ice on the ground! YIKES! Too much commotion around here not to have a TV properly mounted on the wall. HaHaHa Your cake looks delightful and you know what? Homemade is the very best! Enjoy your week. Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!