Sunday, March 12, 2017

Life With Alexa



So, it wasn't until DH expressed a desire to download some favorite tunes,  I had an 'eureka!' moment what to get him for his birthday.
(Only two days before the fact, but who's counting?)


Sure. I'd seen Amazon's promos everywhere, but paid little attention .... until, like a proud parent, they boasted their wunderchild 'Echo' could become a virtual jukebox, containing 'tens of millions of songs' on request.  
(Tom doesn't play so much any more but, hands down, music IS his passion.)


Both of us being techno-challenged, I was surprised how obliging Alexa-the-Echo was to set up.
Leaving Tom to his own devices, I'd retired to the other side of the house when all of a sudden an ear-splitting version of 'Honky-Tonk' began blaring.  The walls seemed to vibrate and I heard my sweet man screaming, "Stop, Alexa!, "Stop!"     


Like most women, I don't suppose Alexa appreciates being yelled at.  Hurrying in, I said -- in what I hoped passed for a pleasant tone of voice -- "Stop, Alexa."  Silence.


Perhaps his is a tell-tale sign of aging, but I'm constantly having to remind my darling that the correct term is 'blue-tooth' - not 'blue-nose' ... and her name is Alexa - not Alecia, not Alexis.   Unlike most women, however, she doesn't seem to mind being called by another's name.  Go figure.


Now I'm not unaware of concerns friends and family have voiced about smart phones, televisions, etc. being transmitting/listening devices for 'whoever' might be listening.  I'm certainly not inclined to refute that claim, but being the daughter of government employees, raised in a government town, I'm not especially concerned.

Then again ...
Early Friday morning I was visiting with the pups, when out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a thin blue light come on and begin circling Alexa's lid -- letting me know she  was listening.  
Then, Tom shared something he'd read online.  I scoffed, "Ya, right."   ... until I tried it myself:

Me:  "Alexa, do you tell the truth?"

Alexa:  "I always try to tell the truth.  I'm not always right, but I would never intentionally lie to you or anyone else."

Me:  "OK, do you communicate with the C.I.A.?"
... whereupon, she shut herself off.
Once, twice, three times!

LOL!!!


Call me naïve, but if someone wants to take time to eavesdrop on us, I say: "Knock yourself out; I hope you don't die of boredom."
"Oh! and I hope you like Bill Doggett."


Have a beautiful new week, everyone!
Hugs from toasty Phoenix,
Myra




   

24 comments:

  1. LOL - I enjoyed this post.

    Some friends bought us the Google Home for Christmas and every one in awhile it turns on and answers something my husband says. It creeps him out. ROFL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's funny! I never heard of Google Home, but I wonder if Alexa won't learn to do the same thing.

      Delete
  2. This is interesting...and very funny. Thanks for the laugh even though a serious concern for all of us. Yes, music is Tom's passion and you found just the right gift! Lots to learn here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! Yes, he seems to love having the ability to ask for and receive(!) whatever kind of music he's in the mood to hear!

      Delete
  3. We have had our Echo for about two years now. Love it and, like you, if "they" want to listen in on our lives...have at it. LOL Our techie guy at work has one and he isn't concerned, so we aren't either. Have fun! Ask her what she wants for Christmas...it's really cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right ... her answer was adorable! Traffic and weather can be so boring; I need to become more creative with my questions!

      Delete
  4. This post made me smile. We're still backward at our house prefering not to be listened to. But I enjoyed hearing your experiences with Alexa/Echo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Taryterre! I never really planned to co-own an Echo, but the virtual jukebox feature is pretty amazing.

      Delete
  5. We B still laughing at you guys talking to a tube!
    I have the same attitude being gov't brain drilled, "Yeah right." But then I do need to re-educate my self. hahaha LOL Enjoyed the visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've given me an idea, Jack ... play 'stump the tube', and see if there's any piece of music it doesn't know!

      Delete
  6. I had heard that perhaps Alexa and her counterparts were listening on what was being said and using that in advertising, etc. I don't take too much stock in it. Glad you found a gift for Tom that he somewhat is appreciating using and can be of some benefit. Its amazing what technology can do these days! Forgive hubby and me. We are the reason Phoenix is having above warm temps. We do that when we move into an area. Hopefully by the end of our year mark in a few weeks, thinks will have settled down a bit and life will return to normal weather wise. Or not.......

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, YOU'RE the global warming culprits, hmmm? :)
      Your rationale about advertising makes lots of sense. I wonder that those designers weren't having too much fun, programming in words like "CIA" to get the conspiracy theorists going.

      Delete
  7. Better be careful - - I have no doubt that Alexa was devised by the Russians.
    (if I ever wrote that on my blog, two dozen humorless people would send me death threats...).

    Actually, I've never heard of Alexa...and new contraptions scare the jeeters out of me. Heck, I'm still trying to figure out my VCR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn if we're not living in a Jetsons world! (Bring on the flying cars!)
      Like you, I'm leery of new, whiz-bang devices, but Alexa-the-Echo found the Wi-Fi and practically set herself up.

      Delete
  8. bob and I were discussing this thing of being watched through devices yesterday, since it is all over that darn CNN that runs all day, and we both said the same thing you did. have at it. of course if they are looking they will get a shocking eye full of my ugly rolls of fat. LOL...this is 2 funny about the word CIA shutting her down..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too funny!
      Like I was just supposing to Betty, I wonder if those techies/programmers aren't practical jokers at heart.

      Delete
  9. HA! Great post. I agree with you about Big Brother watching and/or listening to everything I do. They can jolly well have at it. The NSA probably already has me in their crosshairs because of some of the topics I research on the internet, (How to make homemade explosives, anyone?) but I'm afraid they'd be bored silly once they realize it's nothing more than research for my writing. As long as Uncle Sam keeps his nose out of my bathroom and bedroom, he can watch and listen to his heart's content. (Heck, maybe he can tell me what I'm doing wrong when my pool-shooting isn't up to par... HA!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Now you've me intrigued about your next book! Have you a release date yet?

      Delete
  10. You just crack me up! And it seems I need that more and more these days. I wouldn't care who was listening to me! They would get an earful about politics here lately. And probably even hear me threaten the POTUS now and again!! This sounds like a nifty little device. But I am like many and challenged by anything techy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, if Tom and I can make Alexa come alive, anyone can! All the same, I'm a big chicken when it comes to saying anything untoward while on my cell; and now, I have to worry about the tube. LOL!

      Delete
  11. That is a scream. I told someone I copy the NSA on all my emails to save the the trouble of hacking my account :)
    R

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is too funny! Orwell's 1984 has arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have always heard "they are watching us". We should all be watching them! Lord what a mess we have in our country. H A T E ! The worst offenders are those who want their agenda, their this, their that, MINE MINE MINE! Toddler time for the majority of America! U G H! I love music too and I have so much I do not have room for much of anything else on my iphone. LOL! I only blare my music when I am alone in my car. I have been on a Judy Collins kick lately. The music than had some passion! Sigh....sure love your stories. I find lots of images at google. I have not had anyone take their image away from me. I figure if your watermark is on it that is proof enough it isn't mine! When traveling to Kansas, which we will do in May for graduation, I LOVE when we rent the upgrade SUV! Nothing like traveling in style in a black, windows tinted, leather seats, Lincoln Navigator. People respect you more on the roadways, even the police! HaHaHa! We thought about getting some FBI jackets. Noelle had a t shirt once that said F.T.A. Firearms, Tobacco and Alcohol, who's bringing the chips? Bwhaaaaaa........I have been in a humorous mood for days now! Have a great week my friend!xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!