Sunday, February 12, 2017

Growing pains ..... dusters ..... and glitter



There's lots I'm still discovering about myself, but one thing's an absolute:   I'm a pathetic salesperson.   

Were she still alive, I'd invite you to ask my mom.  Family lore has it, my first foray into door-to-door Girl Scout cookie sales went like this:  "I don't suppose you'd like to buy any cookies would you?"  

By choice, I've always been most comfortable in supporting roles  -- first as an extra in high school little theater productions, then in a myriad of secretarial positions.   One of my all-time favorite compliments goes like this:  When waiting for his appointment with our President, a suit from CBS told me, "Steve says you're the best secretary he's ever seen."    

At this writing, I find myself a bit discombobulated by subtle, seismic shifts - both at Corporate and my workplace.   While I believed my role too insignificant to be noticeable, a few weeks ago my performance review contained a strong suggestion that I assume more leadership in the workplace.   Then, last week they bumped the hurdle up a notch.  

(Aside: I thoroughly enjoy crafting written responses to guests' comment cards, but I'd rather have a root canal than speak with a reviewer.)   

Believing no-one opens what they presume is an auto-response e-mail, I've been directed to call those commenters who've rated us a 7-8 (v. 9-10).  "Fish where the fish are."

Two days I managed to put off the task.   I fretted and stewed until, in a not-unkind manner, DH urged me to put on my big-girl panties and deal with it. 
Friday morning I literally felt I was going to throw up.  Then I said a little prayer and dialed ..... and hallelujah!, got a voice-mail.
Successive calls and I'm chanting, "Don't pick up ... oh puleeze don't pick up."   The Universe must have taken heed, because I only had to speak with 4 individuals - two of whom turned out to be really nice men.

I don't know.  Arriving late to the hospitality arena, I'm no expert, but my instincts tell me what I'm doing borders on harassment.  I mean, IF I take the time to participate in an on-line satisfaction survey ... they're everywhere! ...  I'd be rightly annoyed to have a stranger calling to discuss my ratings.
Do you think I'm over-reacting?

Geesch.  What I'd give to be called into someone's office to take dictation or coordinate a conference!   Sure and you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.

* * *

Some of y'all are familiar with my cyber-pal Carol's blog, Buttercup Counts her Blessings ... right?
She's otherwise engaged at the bottom of the Earth right now, but I'm taking a page from her series 
 .....to ask the ladies, "Do you still wear a housecoat/duster?"  Like it was yesterday, I can close my eyes and see mother in her button-up affair, teal with glorious red hydrangeas. 
Hey, I'm all about preserving my clothes from hairspray and cosmetics' spillage!  In fact, I bought a cape like that found in hair salons.  But when I double-over each morning to blow-dry my hair, that sucker billows and whups me up the back of my head.  (Fail ...)
Far too self-conscious to go looking in person, I'm headed to eBay.  I'm thinking something teal ..... perchance with a hydrangea.

* * *

"What was your most embarrassing moment?"
Spotting that question on a recent meme, I began to nod.  This is by no means my most embarrassing moment; rather, the most recent.
If anyone's looking for a reason to chuckle, I'm happy to oblige.

For more reasons than Carter has pills, I never learned the fine art of applying cosmetics.   Understandably, there've been plenty of hits and misses - and, "What on earth was I thinking?" moments.

Scowling at my overly-generous nose, I had the notion to massage a chocolatey shadow onto each side, to minimize its width.
But some 5 hours later when I stepped into the ladies room to adjust my contact lens ... I discovered an unnatural glittery sheen staring back at me from the center of my face.  Yup, in my haste I'd grabbed a sparkly shadow .... probably left over from the Nixon administration. 
Thank you coworkers ... not!

Ah well, live and learn.
... and try and have a good time while doing so.
Have a beautiful new week, m'friends!


Hugs from Phoenix,
Myra



28 comments:

  1. Okay lest I forget, I have known of the glitter being spread in more private places. OUCH.
    This one hits home. IO was called once by a car salesman about my rating of his sale. I was not happy.
    I refuse to review anything I buy from Amazon. The last two times I offered t give them 3 minutes of my time the computer responded, I rated the product very good to excellent. I skipped the written part. The computer comes back and says I must enter something. So I entered: I refuse to be told how to review, so this is my last review.
    Of course no one cared. haha
    I can tell a computer that, easily. LOL
    Anyway I always enjoy my visit here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whaaaaa? OUCH ...blush.

      I love to shop on-line, but Amazon is becoming a real nag for reviews. I just delete 'em.

      Delete
  2. I am showing my age, I cannot type, and when I do it makes no sense. hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. talk about a blast from the past. my nana wore a duster, so did my mom and so did i. yikes that makes us how old. i like the one with flowers you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that (most) have enormous pockets in the front, too.

      Delete
  4. "Behind every great man is a woman" Sounds like you are that and more. I hope your boss appreciates you.

    Love your make up story. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't have picked up the phone if I didn't recognize the number and if called ID identified the number, I still might not pick it up, LOL, so I probably wouldn't have made myself available to talk with you about why I rated my experience 7-8 versus 9-10. Its so subjective with these ratings, I think. I mentioned it before regarding pain when you are at a doctor and they ask you what your pain level is based on a level of 1-10, 1 being mild pain, 10 being the worst pain of your life. I remember son being at the doctor for strep throat one time and they asked him to rate his pain on that scale. He gave it a 6/10 and I looked at him funny, thinking "its just a sore throat" but to him it was a 6/10. Subjective. Who knows why anyone on any given day would do a 7-8 when a week later they might do a 9-10. So many factors key into it. Their mood that particular day, tiredness, hunger, etc. I do agree, it could border a bit on harassment.

    No housecoat/duster wearing her :) I do remember my mom wearing something similar though.

    I'm not sure I could limit myself to one embarrassing moment. Its more than likely a series of so many of them, one could lose count :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How right you are, everything is subjective! ... and every organization seems to be scrabbling for market share ... sometimes I question the way they go about it.

      Delete
  6. The makeup application sounds like me. Some just have the knack for it! Wish I did. And there's nothing wrong with being in a supporting role. I bet you're great at it. Nope, don't wear dusters. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about that. My DIL's face always looks so naturally lovely; happy she's teaching her daughters to do the same. Subtle rocks!

      Delete
  7. I would prefer facing a firing squad rather than having face-to-face communication with strangers. And I loathe phone calls.
    Curiously, I was never like this when I was young (not that I'm old, mind you).

    I laughed at your embarrassing moment.
    When I lived in Texas, I bought a new pair of jeans and forgot to take the label off. I put the jeans on and went grocery shopping with a big LEVIS sign on my ass.
    Embarrassment can't get any worse than that....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, Jon. Sorry for having snorted. But look on the bright side - you may have just turned someone's otherwise miserable day right around.

      Delete
  8. My moment was when I took my great nephew into a women's bathroom at the mall.
    R

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for my laugh out loud moment at your embarrassing moment. Once I went work with one blue shoe and one brown shoe. At that same workplace and another date I wore a red earring and a navy blue Air ring. Did anyone tell me no I had to find it out myself. I have lots of embarrassing moments that don't come to mind right now because they were too bad to remember. My mouth gets me into lots of those. I don't wear dusters over my clothes because I don't wear clothes around the house I wear a gown from the moment I walk in the door I have daytime gowns. And most of the time I have nothing on when I put on my makeup is that too much information?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... Not at all! In fact, you just cheered me up. :)

      Delete
  10. I really never like those surveys and usually don't participate at all. As far as a house coat goes, I love mine especially in the winter. It's like wearing a blanket, soft and cozy. Since I don't work anymore I rarely get dressed before noon. In the summer I could live in one of those dusters unless I had somewhere to go. I agree. we should live and learn and have a good time doing it. Hope you have a great new week too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bring up a good point ... just say "no." Thanks, Ma!

      Delete
  11. I am back an hour later. while walking I thought about your making those calls and wanted to say NO I could NOT do that. back in 1984 in a desperate search for a 3rd job to feed myself, I accepted a job calling to set up insurance appts. I worked 8 hours and as I left, I said to the lady, I will not be back, I can't do this. you can call me because we never answer any call that is not a personal number we recognize. LOL... if it was part of my job I might be unemployed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way, about not answering numbers I don't know. On the other hand, Tom likes to answer - then behaves so badly, he makes the solicitor hang up on him.

      Delete
  12. I'd be ticked to get a phone call asking me why I gave someone the rating I gave them. I'm much like Betty in not answering numbers I don't recognize. I don't wear, and have never worn, a duster. I remember my mom wearing one though. And she always wore a 'house dress'. Clear up until I was in high school and then she started wearing pants. I don't even wear pjs. I wear short and tee shirts or sweats and tee shirts. And that is pretty much what I wear all day too. I am so glad my years of wearing uniforms are over. Or dress up clothes for the years I did the business office thing! Glitter on your face just made you prettier!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind, Paula.
      Not sure why, but even in the summer I have to have my legs covered with an oversize droopy top. "Glad rags."

      Delete
  13. I do not like making phone calls. Here at home we don't answer any number we don't know. The family calls show up and those are the only ones we answer. No house coats for me but I do remember family members who wore them all the time. That is way too funny about the sparkly shadow on your checks...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debby! Ya, I figure if a call is legit/important, they'll leave a message.

      Delete
  14. I'm very comfortable in positions of leadership, but I am the world's WORSE salesperson. Years ago, friends convinced me to become an Amway lady. The ONLY person I ever sold to was my father, because I refused to put any of my friends into an awkward position by trying to sell them anything. Needless to say, I didn't stick with Amway very long. :)

    I've had plenty of embarrassing experiences in my life, but I think my Aunt Catherine had one of the worst ever. This was years ago, when she was youngish and a very beautiful redhead with perfect hair. She was also deaf, and she got one of the first cochlear transplants. It did improve her hearing, but it also partially paralyzed one side of her face. One day, when this beautiful, very proper woman got home from riding a long streetcar ride on a very cold day, she looked at herself in the mirror. Her nose had run, but she couldn't feel it, so there was frozen snot all over her face. It doesn't get much worse than that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm totally on the same page about peddling 'stuff' to my friends.

    Your Aunt Catherine's saga totally takes the cake! (Tho' I wonder that her beauty and carriage didn't offset the uh-oh?)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!