Sunday, December 4, 2016

Oh, we need a little Christmas!



"I can't believe you just asked me that!"

This, from my boss when I (foolishly) asked if I really had to attend this year's holiday party.    Knowing she's been baptized in the pond of political correctness, I couldn't resist calling it the "Christmas" party, watching her wince. 


ca. 2014



I can only presume this event is a knee-jerk reaction to last year's debacle:  Only managers and their spouses were invited to attend the formal affair ... although the day before, I was offered a ticket and a meal if I wanted to attend -- to work the registration table and distribute drink tickets.   (Um, that would be a 'no.')


Anyway!   Someone decided THIS year all associates at the local properties under Big Corporate's umbrella could attend the "Ugly Holiday Sweater" party with a guest ... eat, drink, dance and be merry.   
On a week-night.  In Scottsdale.

Now I've no quarrel with bringing a new toy to support St. Frances' children's ministry; but I draw the line at having to purchase a tacky sweater that I'll maybe wear once.  (Didn't that fad slip away about the time of Seinfeld?)   
That, and having to drive more than 100 miles round trip from our home in Goodyear.


I tried keeping a straight face when the final RSVP's were counted. Their projected 350 guests only numbered half that.   But, because my boss -- who really believes she's "Mrs. Claus" -- recently did something very nice for me, I felt I'd no choice but to support her.   When, in a pinched voice, she said, "Well, I'm not going to MAKE anyone go if they don't want to." I honestly felt guilty.  And petty.   
(Yup, she's got my number.)  
That, and my 'work brother' Brian reminded me last week, the only reason he's going is because I twisted his arm.  Hard.

So, why don't we have our own property Christmas party like we've done in the past?  We're not allowed!  




That's all-right.  MAC (my boss' nickname) wasn't born yesterday. Instead of a 'party', she and her managers are going to distribute pizzas to everyone, followed by a mid-afternoon hot chocolate bar we'll call "WinterFest." 

* * *

On a related note ... 
Last weekend I was actually losing sleep at the prospect of having to decorate the lobby tree.   In fact, as I confided to a friend, the idea of catching the stomach flu sounded like a better alternative.
   
Unlike 14 years ago when I was a newbie, near tears and too bashful to ask anyone for help ... come Monday morning I channeled my inner drill sergeant and 'voluntold' a handful of associates to help me -- including MAC.
Like so many things, it wasn't nearly as awful as what I lost time fretting about.

* * * 

On the home-front, Tom finally admitted, he doesn't think the two of us NEED a tree.  The beast (our pre-lit 9-footer) is a chore to wrangle, and since we bought a new recliner and love seat last year (which weighs a ton) there's really no space or option to move them around.   

Instead, I'm going to re-create a few little pieces we've enjoyed the last two years, and call it Merry.   



See that little green chair?  That's my favorite chair in the house ... something that survived my own wee bum (1951-ish) ... that gets to come out once each year.


Mother made the little tree and stitched that sampler ...  and the book, Three Christmas Eves, was given her (I think) the inscription reads 1920. 

We're not all about fancy or always tasteful ... but when emotions run high, as they're apt to do this time of year, I like to surround myself with comforting objects, warm blankets and olden music.  (Perry Como, anyone?)
Oh, and wine!   Care to join me?


Have a great week, friends!
Hugs from Phoenix,

Myra 







28 comments:

  1. I wouldn't want to purchase an ugly sweater either. Do you have time to search out a thrift store? They have racks of them from people who went to the Seinfeld parties. (Oh, what a line! You are a hoot!) I like holiday music too and have it on most days. Have a great week, my friend. I didn't realize Scottsdale was that far from you. I hope you have so much party fun, it won't matter. And I bet your Tom is fun to dance with with his love for music?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! In truth, I'd rather decorate a public Christmas tree than dance.
      Ah well, it's all in one's attitude... right? With Tom and Brian around, I've little doubt we'll make our own fun.

      Delete
  2. It's too bad when others manipulate us during these more emotional holidays. What a shame. We're not having a "holiday" party this year - not in the budget. Kind of a bummer. I like your centerpiece and it makes perfect sense. We got rid of the big tree and have a skinny little pencil tree now. Much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to believe, the folks in Orlando's high-rise want to do the right thing. Forced camaraderie isn'y comfortable, but their effort is appreciated. Sort of. In the end, we all do what we have to do.

      Delete
  3. I would love to join you in listening to Perry and have a glass of wine (or two)! Really, wearing ugly sweaters is coming back. It's all the rage with the teens. Harley and I might pay a visit to Goodwill to see if we can find her one. I'm not paying new prices. It is absolutely no fun to attend a holiday party that we feel forced to attend. When I worked at the hospital we always had our annual Christmas dance the first Saturday of December. Richard and I and a BUNCH of friends always went. We drank too much and danced a lot and I have many memories of those wonderful nights. Too bad yours doesn't sound like more fun. The last year that Richard and I did NOT put up a tree is the year Harley and Darian came to live with us on the 15th of December. 8 years ago. We scrambled to get a tree and get the house decorated for them. I'll be thinking of you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugly sweater come-backs? Aaaargh!

      I thought about going to Goodwill, but decided I've an olden favorite green sweater some might call 'ugly.'
      Your memories of the annual Christmas dance sound like such fun, Paula! In truth, outside Legacy no-one KNOWS the folks at other properties; like my son says, "It's junior high all over again."

      Delete
    2. And I forgot to say ... "Thank you for your thoughts!"

      Delete
    3. Life is like junior high all over again! That is why I mostly like to stay to myself!! LOL

      Delete
  4. Imma smiling. Office stuff gets so danged confusing during a time we are supposed to be joyful (Terry D above, amen)

    But you are doing well with the Christmas tree decision. My girl has not said, "Get out the Christmas stuff yet??? Imma wondering about volunteering!!!??? She read this so I will know in a little. LOL

    It is good to have 'the things' that pull your chain and ring your bell.

    'Imma liking Tom and his 'suggestive thought!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make me smile, mister!
      While I think those in the "Ivory Tower" have their hearts in the right place, one can't feign camaraderie.
      I'm remembering Dick Van Dyke suggestive lyric, "Put on a happy face!"

      Delete
  5. Every year I dreaded hubby's Christmas parties. Thankfully he was out of the business for 4 years and then last year had a practice for church for Christmas Eve that saved us from having to go to the party and I think this year there is a party just for employees, which I'm so grateful. I don't do small talk well and I could never (ever) want to purchase a hideous sweater to wear :) I think you did good to get volunteers to help with the company tree.

    Glad Tom was on the same page of you not to put up the big tree this year and to do "simple" (which looks quite well I do think).

    We put up a fake 6.5 foot tree yesterday and the step (I hope you follow me through this) decorated it last night. I told them a week ago we would do something fun last night. Their excitement when they saw the tree and wanted to put on the ornaments was catchy. The sad thing is their last memory of doing such was more than 5 years ago and involved their paternal figure. It was so touching as the night progressed that they set aside ornaments that "meant" something to them as I told the story about those ornaments that they wanted to put those ornaments on the tree that was planned for where they reside. (email me if you are confused, but I know you will catch what I'm trying to say.)

    Looking forward to the 31st at the Cheesecake Factory!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I don't know how I missed seeing this, earlier! What you describe is definitely lump-in-the-throat worthy. I've little doubt your words will be remembered for years ... and hopefully, passed down!

      I can't wait for December 31! :)

      Delete
  6. I love your displays. So sweet and so engaging. I don't do a tree, but I've got Pepe a new sweater, which he'll be wearing for Monkey Monday tomorrow and the teddy bear collection will be on display. Yes, it looks like a toy store, but I like it and isn't that what it's all about! Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pepe's always so dashing! I can't wait to see he and his friends, daring us to grin right back at them!

      Delete
  7. There are times when it comes in handy to be a Muslim. Just wear a Burka to work and say "to hell" with all the Christmas crap. You can always use the excuse that your camel is sick...
    Actually, pizza and a hot chocolate bar sounds pretty good to me.

    I always used to love decorating the fireplace for Xmas. Now that I've moved and don't have one, I'll settle for some candles and a string of lights.
    I also have a small tree (about 2 feet tall).

    I like your simple and sentimental decorations. The true meaning of the season is very often lost in all the unnecessary ostentation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! My company prides itself on celebrating diversity ... but I think it might draw the line at burkas!

      Suppose I'll always miss my stone fireplace with the mantle just begging to be decorated. It's been a long time ...

      Delete
  8. I fully understand all this because the 13 years I worked in a corporate environment I did everything I could to avoid all parties of any kind. And I think your decorations are perfect and beautiful. I stopped with the big trees about 15 years ago it's just the two of us. I have two trees that are 2 feet tall and they sit in a bag and I take them out and set them out and that's about it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra! I used to have a mini, pre-lit tree I picked up from the Hallmark store across from my Clearwater office. When, at the 11th hour it came time to close the house and hit the road, that became an unfortunate casualty of haste.

      Delete
  9. Christmas isn't about how we decorate our home, but about the love we share. I usually like to decorate, the more the better used to be my motto. Now it's less and less but I do have a small table top tree that lights up and spreads a bit of cheer. Hope all works out with your party. Too bad it's such a long drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Ma. In the end, it's about the love we've been given.
      Thankfully, Tom isn't loathe to drive after dark. But, with all the wrong-way driver accidents in our newscasts this year, I'll be on pins and needles 'til we're safely home.

      Delete
  10. We got rid of our 9 ft. which was so very heavy and got two smaller trees. I want to go back to one 7 1/2 ft. tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your trees are amazing, Debby. It's a small price to pay for the joy they bring you, don't you think?

      Delete
  11. I love being surrounded by simple and comforting things. If it were up to me, I wouldn't put up a tree this year but there are little ones to think about. I am editing myself, though. Instead of decorating everything in sight, I'm only doing the tree and getting down what's handy in the closet. No digging in the attic this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still believe the 'trappings' of Christmas are done for the little ones. (Not the term I'd prefer, but my mind's weary right now.) I imagine all the work is totally worth it, when glimpsed through their eyes!

      Delete
  12. My Lord there really is a Grinch? who knew??? LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLOLOL! Darn, but it's good to see you!

      Delete
  13. I used to actually enjoy my hubby's work Christmas parties. They did 'em up really big, with good food, lots of music, some funny skits, and dancing. What made them special is a lot of us we were good friends, and we socialized with each other outside of work. We'd book a bunch of adjoining rooms in the hotel where the party was held, and then we'd be up most of the night, continuing the party in the hotel rooms, playing cards, etc. Lots of fun.

    But I don't miss 'em a bit. We aren't nearly as social as we used to be. Hell, we aren't social at all. HA We used to have company every weekend, but not any more. Now it's the two of us, and we're happy with that.

    Our decorating has become less and less with the passing of years. For the past six or seven years, our "Christmas tree" has been a cardboard cut-out in the shape of a tree, spray-painted green, with attached bubble lights and some glued-on paper ornaments. We put it up the first year because of our new cats, and decided it suited us just fine. I haven't done a lick of decorating yet this year, but if this flu ever flies the coop, I'll probably put up a few of our favorite things. Since we usually go to our of our kids' houses for Christmas, and then to our friends' place in Tennessee to see in the new year, it doesn't make sense to do a lot of decorating around here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My hubby's office always had terrific Christmas parties. They had so much great food and dancing with entertainment. Miss those days. As a law firm they always got great rates for anyone who wanted to spend the night at the hotels.
    They don'y have elaborate parties anymore. Everything is about giving to the less fortunate and cutting other things. We have a big phamily so we have our own good times at home. I am not a fan of places crowded with too many people these days. We see the Trans Siberian Orchestra every year otherwise we stay close to home.
    Enjoy a great week my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!