Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Another Hodgepodge :)



Volume 286, that is.  I dunno how Joyce does it, but I'm glad she does!   If'n you've an itch to play along, just click here!





Let's all think  happy thoughts ... share one of yours here:  

"After all, tomorrow is another day."
(- Scarlett O'Hara) 



There's a Chinese proverb that says, "If you want happiness for an hour take a nap.  If you want happiness for a day go fishing ..." What say you?  If you want happiness for a day _________."

I'd give myself permission to ignore my trivial obligations and 'veg' with a good book (David Baldacci, anyone?), a cup of dark roast coffee and a soft afghan.



Where do you go to decompress from the world around you?

Coming home and shuttering the windows and doors.  Our living quarters are at the back of the house, so there's little in the way of street noise.  



What song never fails to make you happy?

A couple genres come to mind:  The Seekers' Georgy Girl and Rogers and Hammerstein's musical scores.  I've never been to a clambake, but they make me wish I had! 




Wednesday is National Fast Food Day.  Should that be a thing?   Why not? 

Apparently it is, so tell us what's the last 'fast food' you consumed? 

Wow, it's been years.   I try not to consume bread.

 If you were putting together your own version of a 'happy meal' what would you include?  

The first thing that comes to mind?  A runny fried egg atop a slice of sausage pizza and a glass of Cabernet.



In a few sentences, tell us why you blog.

Because it's cheaper than psychotherapy?  (LOL)  

The short version?  When I chose to relocate across the country, I never paused to consider how much I'd miss my family and friends. Rather than 'fess my shortcomings misgivings to DH, I sought refuge at the keyboard ... and discovered one -- then several! -- folks connected and some wonderful friendships resulted.  It's addictive, don't you think?   



List seven things you're feeling especially grateful for today.

  1. Only yesterday, Tom's pulmonologist reported that his lung function has significantly improved!
  2. Little by little, our temps are dropping.  (The 80's may not feel like Autumn, but it sure beats 100-plus!)
  3. My best, most meaningful, memories are still intact.   Dementia is a great enemy.
  4. Our benefits' Open Enrollment for 2017 will actually result in a few dollars saved each month!
  5. There's still a half-full jar of Jif Extra-Crunchy Peanut Butter in the freezer.   :)
  6. Thankful for an honest auto mechanic .... who might very well have taken us to the cleaners and we'd never have known the difference.  
  7. MOSTLY?  I'm thankful to Mr. God for second, third (and probably a kajillion) 'second chances'!


Insert your own random thought here.

Don't stop believing!


Hugs from Phoenix,
Myra



31 comments:

  1. I am scared silly of dementia and its siblings. happy meal for me is culvers burger. I am with you on reading a book and I love Baldacci.. I am pretty sure I have read all his books and a couple of them twice. I find that 2 years later I can read and not remember all the details. glad your hubby is better, that is much to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another fan of Baldacci! I'm envious of your having read all his books! You're right about enjoying some over and again. I always try and figure the endings before they're revealed, but HIS plot twists invariably fool me.

      Delete
  2. Our temperatures in SW Missouri are suppose to really drop this Friday, not had much leaf color this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SW Missouri is such a lovely part of the Country! Aren't we fortunate to enjoy such a kaleidoscope in these United States? Thanks for visiting, Katie!

      Delete
  3. Loving the temps! So cute with your meal that you would create; it actually sounds delicious :) Great report about Tom's lung function and that is great news about the insurance; ours is going UP UP AND AWAY :)

    So glad too that Go dis the God of many second chances :) and incredible forgiveness.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, m'friend! The few times I've reheated pizza and plopped a fried egg on top, Tom makes all these ugly faces. More for ME ... ha!

      Delete
  4. Love your random!! It was sure nice to have Joyce back with her weekly HP!! I enjoyed reading your answers! The "thankfuls" are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! Whether or not I participate, I miss Joyce when she's unable to post those posers.
      Thanks for your 'thumb's up.' I appreciate you! :)

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed reading your Hodgepodge today, especially your random. Hope you have a wonderful evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica! Thanks for liking that dandelion, too. What a rap they've been given all these years!

      Delete
  6. I like the thought of that good book and afghan. I think it's going to dip in temps tonight! Yay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the recipe for a delicious day, doesn't it? Ah, I feel sorry for those who've never fallen in love with books!

      Delete
  7. I always get a real 'kick' out of your answers. i could never come up with much. BUT, but the happy meal sounds good, I have never tried it.

    I have several J Patterson's awaiting, but no Baldacci, I think I have read everything he has written.

    Great Thankfuls!

    Love from Florida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom and I used to love reading Patterson, too. Given your military service, I think you'd really enjoy Baldacci, Jack.

      Thinking good thoughts your way! :)

      Delete
  8. Curling up with a good book and snugly throw really appeals to me right now. It's freezing in the house tonight. This is our first winter in this house, didn't realize how chilly this big open space can get. I really enjoyed your responses and getting to know you a little better through Hodgepodge.
    Cheers!
    Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! Chilly sounds darn good right now. I've always debated (that) it's far more fun trying to warm up (v. trying to cool down) ... fireplaces, hot toddies and heavy quilts are but a few!

      Delete
  9. I love all of your answers.

    The only things that could induce happiness in my days would be - heavy sedation, or being drunk beyond redemption.

    Blogging is definitely a great catharsis (most of the time).

    Heck, EVERY day is National Fast Food Day for me.

    Okay, I'll bravely say it:
    I'm feeling especially greatful today because Hillary LOST the election!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so stinkin' funny, Jon! I always look forward to your take on the state of these sometimes-United 50.

      If I weren't so averse to wearing mu-mu's, I could happily exist on fast food the rest of my life. :)

      Delete
  10. Glad to hear about Tom's lung function! Bloggig is good for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paula!
      I think your blog definitely reflects your passion.

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful hodgepodge! I especially enjoyed your Thankful List. Yes, blogging is addictive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sweet of you to say, Ma. Thank you!

      Delete
  12. Home is the best place to hide from the world and decompress! I need to start listing things I'm grateful for each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Back on New Years I was going to start keeping a gratitude journal, but that fell by the wayside. Tomorrow's another day!

      Delete
  13. I try not to eat bread either although with my new heart healthy diet I'm supposed to have whole grain. Really....an egg on your pizza!!! I will have to try that. Glad Tom's lung function is better. "When you can't breathe nothing else matters."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you try that runny-egg pizza pie! Happy Thanksgiving, Debby!

      Delete
  14. Georgy Girl! What an awesome choice! I am on a blogging break until after the holidays, but stopping by to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for liking Georgy Girl, too! I used to play it loud and long back in the days when I felt disciplined to exercise. Happy Thanksgiving to you and GN!

      Delete
  15. I need more than seven things I'm grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, no truer word were ever said!
      Happy Thanksgiving to you and Jilda ... and Jordan, of course. :)

      Delete
  16. Before I forget A Dog's Purpose is coming to the movies soon. Have you read A Dog's Journey ? It is like the follow up book from the first one. I just got that thoguht in my head. Enjoy the week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!