Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Hodge-podging along, singing a song ....


Thanks for hosting this week's episode, Joyce!  
I won't lie .. it's sort of a heady feeling to be 'interviewed'!





What would you say is your strongest sense?

'Have to admit, my hearing's pretty acute.
I try not to let on ... especially at the office, where my desk sits only a few feet from our G.M.'s door.
(Unfortunately, that came back to bite me recently.  I overhead something that upset me greatly.  In the long run, it wasn't worth calling her on it -- and in so doing, showing my hand!)




Do you believe in the idea of a 'sixth sense'?  Why, or why not?

Yes.  But I'm disappointed not to have experienced it personally.
Just watch our fur babies!  If they don't like someone, it's usually with good reason!!!




When do you most feel like a slave to time?  Explain.

At my workplace.  When our company was acquired by the Really.Big.Corporation, they were wonderfully generous -- my salary and benefits remained unchanged.  
However, my once 'exempt' position became 'non-exempt', and I had to begin using a time clock.

Unfortunately, not 6 months later I was among a half-dozen associates given verbal warnings because "in the space of one pay period we had taken three or more 29-minute lunch breaks -- instead of the 30-minute breaks afforded us by law."
(Yes, I'm serious.)

To this day, when I clock-out for lunch I set the timer on my phone!





Have you ever worked in a restaurant?  Nope.  How would you rate the experience?
If you could own a restaurant, what kind would it be?

I would love to own and operate a homey, 'comfort food' joint! (Pardon the cliche.)
DH and I used to enjoy going to such a place in the north valley each Saturday morning.  A no-frills little spot with Formica tables situated too-close to one another.
The food's awesome and many of the same wait staff have been there 13-14 years now.
"Where everybody knows your name ..."
Ya.  THAT sort of spot!




Ever traced your family tree?  Share something interesting you learned there.

Thankfully, both my mother and father were careful custodians of their heritage.   
There's little in the way of surprises, but I'm humbled at my ancestors' (seemingly) simple tastes and their work ethic.




What did your childhood bedroom look like?

I don't think my parents ever took photos of 
their 2nd floor!
Mine was a narrow, spare space with pale yellow walls, crisp white percale curtains, one of these ...


one of these ...



and a striped steamer blanket. 
(The same one sitting on our guests's bed right now!)





Anyone who knows me, knows I love .....

My son-n'-family, my blogging family, red wine, cold weather, and SEC football: "War Eagle!"

.... and cheesecake!



Insert your own random thought, here:




Hugs from Phoenix!
Myra

18 comments:

  1. Yep, good hearing has a way of biting you at times. How cool that you had a princess phone in your room. Spoiled much? Just kidding! I love your random thought!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a curse, Paula ... on account I've never perfected a 'poker face'!
      Ya, being an 'only child' I was totally spoiled; maybe my parents wanted to make up for my homely looks. LOL?

      Delete
  2. I use my ultra hearing to get my laughs while eavesdropping on shoppers and people eating in restaurants. sometimes I can hardly restrain myself from laughing out loud. I can see where hearing things from The Office That Matters could be dangerous to your health. Our company was taken over and listed on the NASDAQ and life was never the same... I was written up for playing on the computer DURING my lunch break. They said there was no way to tell if I was working overtime or playing and it might LOOK like I was using my PAID lunch to do my work. I was a supervisor and wanted to write my gang up for taking 1 hour 10 minutes for their 1 hour lunch..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear. I'm sorry, Sandra, but this makes me feel better, knowing I'm not the only one.
      I realize every rule came about because someone(s) abused their situation, but methinks this world's gone wonky. Common sense? Com'on!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, I had one of those blankets too! I gave it to my sister when we moved to Florida. No need for that heavy wool blanket here, even on our coldest night. I enjoyed reading your HP today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri! I might use that blanket one week each year, but love the nostalgia. My parents had one as well: red with black stripes. They, too, probably gave it away when they moved to Florida.

      Delete
  4. Great interview. So glad you did it so we could know more about your earlier life. I feel confined just thinking about your timed breaks! Hugs to you, special friend. I like it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Mary! Like the man said, "It is what it is." Just try and focus on the good that working for a big corporation provides us.

      Delete
  5. I love that random thought of yours. I think America does indeed need to be made kind again.

    I had to laugh about your taking 29 minutes for lunch instead of 30 minutes. I got in trouble at work a few months back because I was working "overtime" when overtime wasn't offered. I went over 43 minutes in the time period (which can happen if you get a long report, that type of thing.) I was conscientious too, clocking in a minute early showing I was being a good employee. That stopped, LOL. Now I watch closely and clock in exactly when I'm supposed to and clock out exactly when I'm supposed to. Geesh!

    That's why we get along together so well, I love son/family, red wine, and cheesecake myself too :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much for (your) being a diligent employee, eh? Sometimes I think Labor Law needs a solid whack up the side of the head. I was always all about, never mind the clock ... let's just do what needs doing. Fortunately, my (prior) employers always found ways to make it up to me.

      Delete
  6. I love it when I read your answers. I think to myself, I would not know what to say. I need someone to ask me a question, then come back tomorrow for and answer, then I would ask for an extension. LOL
    I cannot believe anyone concerned enough to comment on a 29 or 33 minute lunch break WOW.

    Anyway sorry I am late, but THANKS for the entertainment.
    Love from Florida!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?
      Thanks for the comment, Jack! This old workplace-world just isn't the same as it used to be. Methinks too many spoiled brats crying "foul" if they're asked to do something outside their job description/timeclock ... and the courts agreed with them.

      Delete
  7. Hi Myra, I'm visiting from Paula's blog today because I saw your comment about the hospital where you were born. I live in the metro Twin Cities area. The old hospital became part of a medical center and the complex is huge now. There's and old booklet in the library about the hospital you mentioned. You can see it at:
    http://hclib.tumblr.com/post/41297823101/st-barnabas-hospital-1917-a-new-addition-to

    I have a Hudson Bay Blanket exactly like the one you showed in you post! Love the stripes! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted you stopped by, 'gram'! At the time of my birth we lived in Columbia Heights, but I've never been drawn to return. Those photos on the link you shared stopped me in my tracks, because my mom was an RN at St. B's and one of the pictures of she in the Children's Ward look very similar.

      Please visit again? I'll do the same!

      Delete
  8. Great answers!

    The only time I had to punch a time clock was for a summer job I had at Bethlehem Steel in 1966. Someone said something to me about how much overtime I was working, so I started punching out at quitting time, and then going back to finish cleaning my multilithograph machine properly. (I was a weirdo.) (Scratch that. Still am.)

    If you opened a restaurant like that, it'd be a place I'd want to eat. The personal touch makes all the difference in the world.

    Your random thought is perfect. Have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan! I've a hunch you, too, were of the generation where one focused on doing their job well and not watching the clock. In the Big Picture I don't know we made a difference, but I wouldn't trade who I am.

      Delete
  9. That is really something about that minute at lunch time! Love the Princess phone. I totally forgot to list cheesecake, I love it too. Love your random.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Debby!
    Ya, that's why I prefer to lunch at my desk, nearby the freaking time-clock.
    Next time y'all are over this way, let's make plans to grab a bite at Cheesecake Factory?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!