Saturday, October 29, 2016

Do You See What I See?


Hi friends,


As threatened promised, here's an update on the Great Chili Cook-off.    No, we'd no participants from Golf.  I wasn't really holding my breath.

While all promised 15 pots of deliciousness didn't appear, there was plenty to go around!
(I'd have tried taking better photos, but at the 11th hour I was 'voluntold' to serve.)



Jose and Sonia

See those two stinkers?   Never a poker player, my stress-face always gets the best of me!

It all started when I woke up at 3
AM, worrying and obsessing that no-one had been asked to bring a ladle or serving spoon.

Then, while I was preparing the ballot slips, one of our maintenance techs walks over with a guilty expression:  
"I think I screwed up my chili."

"What?  Why do you say that, Daniel?"

"Jose told everyone they had to bring their ingredients to the BBQ area and begin cooking this morning.  I made mine last night."

"Well, d***!!!   We specifically said, "Cook the night before and bring your own crock-pot.   It's right there!  Here! ... on the flyer!"

"Well", he grumbled, "I never bothered to read the flyer."

With visions of an Unholy Mess on our hands ... my career in the toilet, I stomped off.
He was right behind me.

"Oh, and do you all have enough to feed the landscapers?  They were told they would be served a meal, so no-one brought their lunch."

'Aaaaargh!'  
Had I remembered to put my nitro pills in my bag?

When Daniel's boss appeared a little later for the morning leadership line-up, I jumped in his face.  "Jose, what the ****?"
I was about to go on (and on) when I glimpsed the twinkle in his eyes, his struggle to keep a straight face.

Maybe that's what I get for never having had a brother to yank my chain?
I've gotta stop taking all this junk so seriously.



In addition to the chili, we had a departmental pumpkin carving contest.  Some folks are so creative!
(You can click the pictures to enlarge.)

Pumpkins on Parade



Security
... and the Winner is, Housekeeping!
(That a vacuum cleaner under those duds, and her 'arms' are fashioned from toilet-paper rolls!)



Since I spend so much time talking about my 
weekdays, here are a few shots of the 'neighborhood.'

Outside my window, looking towards the pool and spa. 
Pausing outside the break-room yesterday morning:  How I'd like to run barefoot across the course!

Another glimpse from the break-room.
See those silos in the background?
Built on the grounds of the old Heard Ranch, they were once the tallest structures in Maricopa County!

A peak at my office

La, la, la ... looking out my front door.
(No-one normally makes themselves at home on the floor!   Brian was summoned to repair a tear in the carpet.)
That's Halie in the background, at the doorway leading to Registration/Front Desk.


... It's not much, but for better or worse, it's my home-away-from-home.   Now you see what I see!


'Will be back soon with a State-of-(my)-Carcass report, and other absurdities!

Have a frightfully fun Halloween!

Boo!

Hugs from Phoenix,
Myra



20 comments:

  1. What fun! And did they ever get you!!! Yes, having 3 brothers myself I probably wouldn't have fallen for it but you never know. Fun post telling us about where you work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, it's not nice making fun of old ladies! (lol) Ya, I'm the original Naive Nancy. (BTW, let me know which of those bros. of yours is Chuck? I'm enjoying his comments on your posts!)

      Delete
    2. He is my oldest brother. He is the one who moved from her to Louisiana last year just before Christmas. He is a pain in the ass for the most part. But he is my bro, so what can I say!!

      Delete
  2. LOL with you waking up at 3 a.m. wondering about ladles/spoons. I would have been the same way! I would have brought extra too :)

    Looked like lots of fun; these things always work out, even though we stress incredibly about them. I bet fun was had by all and how cute with the pumpkins! Seems like you work with a great crew of people! That can be half the battle when getting up to go to work!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now that you mention it ...
      I need to remember, there are plenty of genuinely nice folks.

      Silly me about the ladles! Since LGR is, after all, a timeshare resort, all I had to do was ask a room attendant to bring me some!

      Delete
  3. I'm laughing at the fact that you were up at 3:00a.m. worrying about ladles and serving spoons. That sounds SO MUCH like me.
    I'm the type person who lays in bed at night worrying about things that happened in school 100 years ago.....

    Chili cook-offs are more darn trouble than they're worth, but the food looks so good - and I'm sure the aroma was enticing. I haven't had home-made chili in a long time.

    The pumpkins are all cute and creative - - and I appreciated seeing glimpses of your home away from home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for saying that, Jon! Sometimes I get to wondering where my friends read and create their blog posts.
      There's too much going on around me to try and compose anything while at work ... but that last image depicts what I'm seeing everyday while eating my lunch, reading blogs. (Except now, I've that stupid new second monitor.)

      Delete
  4. I always look at photos first in the slide show. I love photos. when I saw the guy on the floor I thought WHAT? no chairs.. thanks for telling us about the tear. LOL
    I love the zebra crockpot and the smiling joke players. I would have freaked out to. I don't play practical jokes so I am always caught by those who do.
    a fun place to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're pretty darn observant, Sandra!
      I really need to step up my game and include more photos in my posts. Like you, I always look at those first.

      Delete
  5. forgot to say AWESOME punkin carving.. true talent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to say, "Thanks!", but I've never carved a pumpkin in my life!

      Delete
  6. I never thought about it but yes, our workplaces are our home away from home. It's good to have some fun together rather than working all the time. I Love chili and although I didn't have brothers I do have 6 sons who often pulled my chain, they still do. Yep, it's good to have some laughs to make the load lighter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet they did, Ma!
      Forgot to mention, perhaps the biggest laugh came when my boss -- the same one who wanted me to put out a big bushel of candy -- discovered all the Reese's turning to chocolate 'soup' in the 100-degree day.

      Delete
  7. Those pumpkins are awesome! Also, I love chilli cook-offs. I actually just made chili last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megan! I've never tried making my own chili ... but I've a big bag of fresh Hatch green chili in the freezer just begging to be eaten. (IF it ever turns cold here!)

      Delete
  8. The best laid plans right???? Love the pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like your chili cook-off and pumpkin-carving extravaganza was a big hit. (All of that worrying for nothing!) Our amateur radio club has a chili cook-off every January. For a number of years, I spent $$$ to make a big pot of chili... and then would win a cheesy 50-cent blue ribbon and some bragging rights. It was fun, but I've since stepped back and let some other people do the cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You made me laugh, sweet friend, and I needed a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Halloween, Myra, those pumpkins are amazing. Thanks for letting us see your weekdays through photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like all went well and lots of fun, too. I am not much of a pumpkin carver, so I am very impressed with the contributions to the contest.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!