Friday, September 2, 2016

Marital bliss ... and miss



"What do you want to do for our anniversary?", DH asked a few days ago.   Trying not to do a double-take, I responded, "Oh, I don't know .... I've not given it any thought."

So, this is what 12 years looks like?  

We might visit my favorite adult attraction (Bed, Bath & Beyond) in search of a cast-iron skillet.  Then again, I recall the 'spirited discussion' we got into the last time we were there:  I needed a new scrubber to replace my beloved Scrub Daddy, who'd suffered a broken jaw.




Nearby, studying an array of pastel Daddy's, a young woman asked me, "Are these really good?"   Lawdy!  From the light in my eyes you'd think I was a time-share pitchman.   Then, from the direction of my right elbow, DH felt it necessary to sound off why his brand is superior.

Ugly, ugly  ... ugly.
Dear God, is THIS what we've become?  


* * *


Now DH might kill me, but I can 't help but share his latest cost-cutting endeavor:

It all started when the thing-a-ma-jig that holds his driver's side visor in an upright position recently broke.   (Uncharacteristically) I opted for the path of least resistance:  "Just take it over to the Toyota dealer and give them my card."

Nope.  I didn't realize YouTube contains more hacks than old Mr. Carter has pills.

Armed with Velcro strips and zip-ties, I must say DH gave it his all. When that didn't work, he took to calling local junk yards. Call me naive, but I never would have guessed one could locate a pair of like-new visors for less than a $100!   Unfortunately, theirs was a case of find-it-yourself .... and don't forget to bring your tools.

Ta-dah!  He practically pranced in the door ... until I exclaimed, "WHAT happened to your brand-new shorts?"  Honestly, the back looked like he'd sat in a bucket of tar.

Muttering to myself about dollars-down-the-drain, I stuck the shorts in a pail of Oxi-Clean.   A few hours later, some of the pitch seemed to be loosening.   I decided I'd give it another day. Or two.

(Dat's getting to be a pretty expensive pair of visors you got there.)

But wait ... there's more!

A couple of day's later I phoned from the office:  "How's your day, hon?" 

"Well, Don asked me to meet him at Olive Garden, but I couldn't find my keys.  You want to guess where they were?"

I couldn't help erupt in a fit of giggles:   "Well, I imagine they're pretty bright and shiny by now."   

I totally forgot about the electronic fob thingy.  No worries.  We grew up in an era where manually locking and unlocking your doors was the norm.

Uh-huh... there's more!

Remember my saying, DH's hearing is rapidly deteriorating?
Before I arrived home from work, our dogs' furious barking alerted Tom someone was at the front door.   Apologetically, our neighbor broke the news, "Excuse me, but your truck's alarm keeps going off."   The key fob was having a stroke.

They seemed to placate the system, but not 15 minutes after I walked in the door it started bellowing again.   By this time I imagined the auto repair shops had closed for the eve  ... I was about to consult YouTube for a tutorial how to yank out automotive alarm wires.  Either that or drive it up to the nearby fire station and beg them for help. 

(I may have said something a teensy bit derogatory about bargain visors.)

Thankfully, he dissected the fob, threw away the battery ... and was able to find an inexpensive replacement online.   All's well that ends well, right?

... there's more!

Riding to the grocery the other day, I went to pull down my passenger-side visor.  Simultaneously, we realized the 'new' visors were installed backwards!    I'd have taken a picture, but didn't want to rub salt in someone's wound.  :)

* * *
Bliss-or-miss, after 12 years I suppose there's something to be said for being able to laugh at ourselves.



Hugs from Phoenix ... and please, have a SAFE holiday weekend!
Myra

P.S. -
No, I wasn't able to salvage the shorts.  But(!) remember the Scrub Daddy incident a few weeks ago?  Waiting to check out, I noticed the young woman we'd encountered paying for a Daddy of her own.   (Fist pump ... God is good!)



      

29 comments:

  1. I am using my very first scrub daddy. And I must say I love it!! Is very sturdy too! I always smile when I see that bright orange face smiling up at me in the kitchen. Your tale of the visors is hilarious. I would have never guessed where the keys were hiding!! Or that a wet fob would keep the alarm going, going, going! Have a good weekend, Myra!! P.S. Did you get that cast iron skillet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I've a couple friends who think the Scrub Daddy's a bit creepy, but I can't help but smile back at him every morning.
      (Nope, no skillet yet.)

      Delete
  2. Oh, Lord, the things we go through to "save a little money" or to do it ourselves. My hubby is a car guy and all-around handy man, so anything that ever needs to be done car-wise or otherwise usually isn't a problem at our house, but our kids have created some hilarious domino-effect problems with some of the home repairs they've attempted at their houses. Fix one thing, and break two others in the process...

    Happy anniversary! If it makes you feel any better, on our last anniversary (47 years) we were making plans to go away for the weekend to celebrate, which is what we customarily do. I asked him, "Do you reeeeeally want to go away and stay in a motel someplace for a few days, or is it just something you think we should do because it's our anniversary?" Bottom line, we stayed home. Instead of driving to some "location," we went to the movies and out to dinner. Suited us just fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Want to know what's hilarious? Up until his health went south, my own DH supplemented his SS as a handyman!

      In my book, your 'staycation' (movie/dinner date) sounds perfect!

      Delete
  3. I love it love it love it... this could be and echo of some of our 'blissful moments'. you do have a way with words and I can also read between the funny lines. I think the funniest part was the soaking the fob and the alarm, but the next one that had me lolling out loud was the vison on backwards. did I say I love this love this love this????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, but your comments lift me up!
      Thank you, Sandra!

      Delete
  4. PS happy anniversary.. belated though it is. we have not once but 3 times in our 32 years totally forgotten our anniversary. twice we remembered the next day and the next was more than a few days. and we do the same thing to celebrate... think Culvers for a burger and fries and a trip to walmart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now, a Culvers burger sounds divine!

      Delete
  5. Oh I'm so glad to know I'm not alone in the world! I'm dealing with a back door handle that Joe pulled off of his car. It left a hole in the door that I kept saying he should cover before the rains come or the door would fill up with rain and then mold...the broken handle is stuck back on to cover the hold. Hope he doesn't lose it. Geesh. LOL Gotta laugh. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's that they say about, 'misery loves company'?
      ... Except, of course, I don't think for a minute either of us is miserable. Gotta laugh is right!

      Delete
  6. LOL, I loved reading this. Hard sometimes not to say "I told you so" (too many times). I'm always of the opinion when it comes to celebrating anniversaries, Mother's Day, Father's Day, even birthdays for that matter, LOL, that we should treat each other special every day, not just one special day a year, right?

    YouTube is great though for what you can find on "fixes".

    See you Sunday!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I think society's brainwashed us to expect 'certain days' to bring us happiness. Like, how many Valentines did I sit feeling sorry for myself. Silly!

      Thanks for pointing that out!
      ... and I can't wait to see y'all tomorrow!

      Delete
  7. I gotta hand it to Don, he and I know how to save money! It seldom costs me more than twice the price doing it the 'right way' (other opinions!). It is the challenge, you girls don't understand, it is the CHALLENGE! LOL

    Okay so at times we do get a little red faced in embarrassment when it 'doesn't go' exactly as planned, but remember, keep in mind, don't forget, IT IS THE CHALLENGE! lol
    I am smiling and I did enjoy the read. But remember, 'I TOLD YOU SO' is such a cheap victory! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny guy, Jack.
      I'll keep that in mind ... (*smile*)

      Delete
  8. Oh, I got side tracked. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, for sure. I'll pass on your wishes to Tom!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you ... I'm glad to 'see' you again, Jean! I tried following your blog a while back, but it was marked 'private.'

      Delete
  10. I was so busy laughing at this post that I forgot all about the anniversary. Jean (above) reminded me. Happy Anniversary!

    Your life experiences sound unnervingly similar to mine - perhaps we're related somewhere down the line?
    My life has always been eerily similar to a Woody Allen movie...or perhaps Fellini.

    Anyway, thanks for the laughs. Gawd knows, I needed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to help provoke your tickle bone, Jon.

      Related? Honestly, I'd be honored. It's scary sometimes how much we think alike.
      (But reassuring, too.)

      Delete
  11. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY. I'm married to a fixer upper too. Everything becomes a science project. smiled hearing your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Science project' ... I love it!

      Thank you for your sweet wishes; and I hope y'all are en-JOY-ing this weekend!

      Delete
  12. Do it yourself is sometimes the worst thing you can do and the most expensive. I leave things like cars to those that know what they are doing. I laugh at my self often too...it's better than crying. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you have to laugh or cry.
      ... and laughing's such fun. Almost better than hot-buttered popcorn. :)

      Delete
  13. Happy Anniversary Myra and Tom! Loved the down to earth stories about ordinary life happenings and those extra ordinary days that just make me smile! Have a safe and fun holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet lady! Ordinary times are sometimes the best.
      I can't believe it was just one year ago we were in Cottonwood!

      Delete
  14. I stand with D H here. It's a matter of principle:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, that was quite the ordeal you went through. Hope things have settled down.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy anniversary! My goodness I thought I commented previously but perhaps I was dreaming. Your writing style keeps me coming back for more of your stories. You spin a wonderful tale each time I visit. I like simplicity. It is very underrated.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!