Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Another Hodgepodge Wednesday!




Happy Hump Day, everyone!  
I'm in the mood for a little levity, today ... how about you?  


As always, a big thanks to Joyce, for these prompts! 


* * *

1.  I read here four creative activities to try this month.  They were - calligraphy, make your own cookbook, dance (or learn a new type of dance) and letter writing.  Which activity appeals to you most?

None of the above?  
After work, my 'creativity' pretty much extends to reading and writing blog posts, drinking wine and staying awake past 9 o'clock.


2.  Bertrand Russell is quoted as saying, "To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness."  Agree or disagree?  Explain.

Absolutely agree.  I normally don't speak to the life I enjoyed in my 30's, except to say I wanted for little ... then wound up appreciating it less and less.
These days I derive satisfaction just anticipating the occasional nice dinner out or a weekend excursion with DH.


3.  August 17 is National Thriftshop Day.  Are you a 'thrifter'?

I adore thrifting!  Aside from my (ahem!) unmentionables, 99% of my wardrobe came from consignment or thrift shops.  I think the trick is, not to be in any hurry and have no expectations.  (Easier said than done!)

If so, tell us about one of your best or favorite finds.

There's several that come to mind!

Year ago, I spotted these bar stools in a dusty old place ... right about the same time my son sent a birthday check for the exact amount they were asking.  Kismet!

(Click to enlarge)

Here's one of my $35 wedding dress.


4.  On a scale of 1-10 (with 1=almost none and 10=loads) how would you rate your sense of wanderlust?

A '3', perhaps?  I've been fortunate to travel throughout the U.S. and most of Europe.  Somewhere along the way, however, I morphed into a bit of a coward -- overly conscious of my car's remaining 'oompf", hubby's health and, of course, whether our pups are being taken care of the way in which they've become accustomed.  (*smile*)

What kicks your wanderlust into high gear?

If my BF were to propose another random day trip?
I adore DH, but some things are better when you and your girlfriend are laughing so hard your faces hurt.
(Degree of difficulty: 10, given she still lives in Florida)


5.  Has life felt more like a marathon or a sprint so far this month?

Marathon.  I have to consciously keep a smile on my face and focus on the promise of shorter, cooler days.  This August seems like a long, long month.


6.  What do you need to get a jump on before Fall officially arrives?

Reservations!
DH doesn't know yet, but I'm hoping we can arrange a Thanksgiving getaway to New Mexico.  The high country's autumnal colors were always spectacular and I'm hoping Mother Nature won't disappoint!


7.  What's the last thing you did with friends or family where you lost track of time?

I can't recall!  Good or bad, I'm one of those folks who's always conscious of the time, whether there's a clock in the room or not.


8.  Insert your own random thought here.

Chuckling at my own sense of vanity over here ...  
See, a few days ago I had a routine derma appointment to remove a pre-cancerous spot on my face.  While there, I mentioned this "annoying" quarter-size wisdom spot on the other side.

"Tired of being so wise?", the doc quipped.  "We can take care of that!"

That evening I warned DH I'd probably resemble a marionette for the next couple of weeks.  What I couldn't foresee, by Friday morning I'd grown 'chipmunk cheeks' and the next day my right eye was practically swollen shut.
Now I looked like a painted pugilist puppet.
(Liking that alliteration, Jon?)

You've heard, pharmacists are worth their weight in gold?  I sure wasn't anxious to visit one of those 'doc-in-the-box' urgent care places, so I stopped by Walgreens.  He took a close look, recommended Ibuprofen and cold compresses ... and sent me on my merry way.  Lesson learned.  Remember to always ask about possible side effects before agreeing to any procedure, no matter how routine!

* * *


Until next time ...
Hugs from Phoenix!

Myra


    

32 comments:

  1. Oh my! Glad the fix was just ice and ibuprofen! I enjoyed your HP answers today!! Have a blessed evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terri! Ya, that inexpensive 'cure' was a blessing.

      Delete
  2. I hope your final results will be worth the chipmunk face! I had a couple of spots off once - and they scabbed and then fell off. I am ashamed to say I was pretty vain about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marla! So far I'm at the scab phase, myself. Wouldn't it be nice if the band-aid companies featured designs besides SuperHeroes and Minnions? "Big" kids get cuts, too.

      Delete
  3. How scary to undergo those facial changes. You are pure joy and I smiled at your answers. I'm eager for fall too and less humidity. I'm a thrifter too; love your photos, pretty lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You humble me, dear friend. I don't know about 'pure joy', but I'm happy to have prompted your smile!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have learned one thing in my long life, When a lady has problems with her face (or any visable part of her body) THERE IS A PROBLEM. Immassuming it turned out all WELL.

    I always love your answers to the random questions. But to your #1, now after 77+years I want to learn to dance! (and the clock is ticking!)
    Loved the read, SWEET!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jack, I think you should GO for it! I've never been a dancer ... nor felt the urge; I'm far too self-conscious. What with all the self-help stuff available on YouTube, you and Sherry could just pull those curtains and practice to your hearts' content!

      Delete
  6. What a great find with your wedding dress. I think you have a great attitude about what to expect when you go to thrift or consignment stores. I think too a getaway to New Mexico would be a nice Thanksgiving treat!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for saying that, Betty! I was searching for a picture with MORE dress and LESS face ... to no avail. Not sure why, but I'm still hanging onto it; maybe it's time to pay it forward?

      Delete
  7. An extremely enjoyable post. Ironically, I was laughing my tootsies off at the paragraph where you mentioned a marionette and a painted pugilist puppet..and then you suddenly said "liking that alliteration, Jon?"
    You understand my sense of humor - - which is an extremely rare gift.

    I also liked the "Doc in a Box". Undoubtedly from India..and no speak English. You were definitely better off going to Walgreens.

    The New Mexico mountains would be a perfect autumnal getaway (my mom would have loved that).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly delight in making you laugh, Jon. Thanks for saying that.

      Funny, I never dreamed I'd miss New Mexico ...

      Delete
  8. I'm with you about checking side effects for routine procedures. And I loved the 'doc-in-the-box' reference, in light of recent experiences here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh-oh. I hope your 'recent experiences' were resolved in quick order?

      Ironic, this was the first dr. appt. I can remember where I waltzed in without first murmuring a quick prayer. And look how that turned out! Coincidence?

      Delete
  9. that dress is wonderful and no one would ever know it came from a thrift store. that was a super find.. as were the bar stools. he he he on the doc in a box.. i like that a lot... oh no on the side effects. I have always checked side effects and most of the time regret i did because i seem to GET them and i wonder if i did not read it would I? glad WG came through with simple easy answer. thanks for the chuckles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. Somewhere up the line, we must be related, Sandra. Whatever did we do before WebMD.com and its buddies?

      Thank you for liking my thrift photos!

      Delete
  10. Hope you are back to normal by now...the side effects are something they rarely volunteer on their own. We do need to ask for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ma, your 'thumb's up' never fails to make me smile. :)
      Ya, the swelling's all gone; I just have to be patient and let the wound heal in its own good time.

      Delete
  11. WOW! Hope things are nearly back to normal now. I have been lucky not to have any cancerous skin spots (neither pre-nor the real thing) I baked in the sun in my younger years. Even used the concoction of baby oil and iodine!! Sounds like a perfect plan for Thanksgiving. Love the fall colors. Richard would be hankering to go see the aspens in Colorado! Love your thrift store finds. That wedding dress is gorgeous!! And so are you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, you're a sweetheart ... but there's been lots of water over the road since that wedding picture was taken (2004).

      Yes, you're incredibly fortunate not to have suffered any ills effects from the baby oil/iodine. I've never been a 'sun worshiper' ... my fav season is Winter. Go figure!

      Delete
  12. I love your random thought - I always find pharmacists to be incredibly helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for concurring! Sometimes I wonder why - with their knowledge - they chose not to go the extra mile and pursue a doctorate? Then again, with the state of health care in this country I wonder who in their right mind would want to become an M.D. Guess I just answered my own question!

      Delete
  13. I love your answers! OH, and I'm glad to meet a fellow wine drinker! ;)I wholeheartedly agree with you that to do without ensures a much happier state than to everything you think you want. I don't know a lot of happy people who have everything they think they want. They still always want more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuppers. This reminds me, my mother would show (magazine) pictures of the 'Rich and Famous' at Cannes, etc. ... but not a one looked they were having a blast.

      PS - It's near wine-thirty over here. Cheers!

      Delete
  14. Happy weekend, Myra! Loved the hodgepodge today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dayle! I hope you and your family are having a delightful weekend, as well.

      Delete
  15. Great answers! I totally agree that "having less" equates to more happiness. More so, it's being content with whatever we do have.

    I hope your face is back to normal again. My glaucoma doc sent me to a surgeon this week. Because of all the eyelid-stretching the doctor did while doing cataract surgery, plus having to do the daily eye drops, my eyelids have gotten so droopy, they're actually interfering with my vision. After the surgeon repairs them, they'll bandage both eyes, and according to the paperwork, to protect my eyes, they "may" pull the bottom lid up over my eye and tape it there! That totally cracked me up. I mean they're gonna fix the upper lids, which are in the state they're in mostly because of over-stretching, but then plan to stretch the bottom lid up over my eyes??? HA I'm gonna have under-eye bags big enough to pack my toiletries in the next time we travel. :) Oh... and the swelling and two black eyes are expected to last for three weeks. Oh goodie. So, yeah, I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! ... You totally win, Susan.
      Unfortunately, my own droopy eyelids have been this way for decades; and no-one's offered the sort of surgery covered by Cigna.

      On a selfish note, I hope we won't have to be without your blog updates for long.
      Love your sense of humor!

      Delete
  16. Way to go on finding great things in the Thrift stores! Love those bar stools. Hope you get to see those colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debby!
      Now we're re-thinking New Mexico ... my over-active sense of fiscal responsibility is kicking some a**. :)

      Delete
  17. Hmmmm....I give up! I see my comments publishing and then poof! Gone! Weirdest thing I have ever seen. Have a good SONday and I will see you around here soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!