Saturday, June 18, 2016

You're Gonna Miss This




Depending on which direction you gaze, sure ... there are more picturesque mountain ranges surrounding the Phoenix metro.  
But these silent sentinels are what my eyes are drawn to each weekday.
I'm going to miss them.
     

It's a foregone conclusion (that) my days in Phoenix are numbered.
As we grow older, I think it's critical to be near loved ones, our support systems.

But(!) being a chronic planner, I'm finding the where's and when's annoyingly elusive.

I force myself to remember .....
"Man Plans, God Chuckles."
(Yes, on several occasions I've forced the outcome -- and had to live with the consequences.)


Are y'all familiar with Trace Adkins' splendid song, "You're Gonna Miss This"?
(No?  Well, grab a box of tissues and click on the link.)


You know, it doesn't seem all that long ago, when crossing the Florida border I whoo-hoo'd, did a little fist pump ... and vowed never to return.

OK, I know there's nothing wrong with Florida!  
Unfortunately, tumultuous events surrounding those last several years were (in my mind) irrevocably linked to certain locales.
Convinced the end of the rainbow pointed 'that-away', I pointed my car west, away from my past.

But memories are a curious thing, aren't they?
They never really stay hidden.

I'm blessed having a few old (and a two new!) friends who are residents of the Sunshine State.
.... Whose posts have unleashed a flood of memories, and unwittingly, a smidgen of longing!

Long before I moved there, Florida's gulf coast was our family's  'go to' spot each summer.  Daddy's brother was a pastor in Sarasota and in 1960  my folks built a tiny rental house in Punta Gorda.



I'm convinced, one of the biggest draws was a legendary St. Petersburg eatery called Wolfie's.


There, I was introduced to my very first banana split.
There -- observing 6 year-old Myra consume seconds (then thirds) -- a fellow at the next table hollered, "Someone, call a doctor!"

Imagine my dismay when I moved there and learned Wolfie's had closed its doors years ago.

So many of my favorite memories are set against a culinary backdrop.  (Well, maybe not culinary.  That sounds kind of snobbish.)

Like my father I love good food ....
perhaps, to distraction.

A few months back, I awoke from the most vivid dream and wanted to weep.
Like my dad's fascination with Wolfie's, I'm remembering a hole-in-the-wall Italian deli that's been playing prominently in my subconscious.  
It features something I've not been able to locate anywhere else --  made from scratch, softball size mozzarella.
If one's lucky to get there before noon, the white butcher paper is still warm.  I can close my eyes and watch rivulets of milk oozing out of its soft flesh.  
If I ever win the lottery I'm seriously hiring a private jet!

In my last post, I mentioned "Houses of Belonging."
This image - pinned up in my 'ish' room - captures an exquisite camaraderie.  It was the best of times.
Until it wasn't. 


One-by-one we've gone our separate, geographical directions.
Several of us have rediscovered one another on Facebook ... but it's different.
One recently commented, "I miss us."

My friend Paula recently asked her followers what they might advise today's graduating class.
I've forgotten my original answer, but now?
'Pretty sure I'd say, "Take a good look around. Be present. Feel it deep inside."

"Take it from someone who knows. You're going to miss this."

* * *

Thank you for stopping by! 
... and to all the dad's out there, a very HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!












  












28 comments:

  1. Yep! I tell that to my grandkids all the time..."you're gonna miss this". I know a lot of my fond memories only took place between my own ears. It wasn't really like that at all. Because I only want to remember all the good things about the past. That is the good part about getting old. We can forget the bad things and cling to the good!! Have a great weekend Myra. And Happy Father's Day to Tom!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paula! What would we be, indeed, were it not for our imaginations! (To be honest, I'm still working on forgetting the bad.)

      Delete
  2. Wolfies!! I've eaten at the Wolfie's in Leesburg. Such a good diner!! Haven't thought about it in years because we don't go up that way anymore. My folks were snowbirds and lived in Leesburg, so my Worfie's memories also include my dad. Memories are treasures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Terri. I like how you describe memories as treasures.

      Delete
  3. I think you are wise when it is time to move closer to family; at the end of the day, that's all we really want by us isn't it? I think you'll miss the mountains around here, but certainly not the heat :)

    If we knew then what we know now when we are young, we truly would value and treasure the words "you're gonna miss this".

    Happy Father's Day to Tom and to your son!

    To think a year ago on Father's Day we found out we would be grandparents, now a year later celebrating the little one's part of our lives :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a difference a year makes! :)
      The only way I'd want to 'go back' is if the Creator allowed me to know now what I didn't know then. (Hmmm... reminds me of a song!)

      Delete
  4. Youth is wasted on the young. We appreciate where we've been the older we get. I think Wolfies is a keeper. Saying hello to a support system is a comforting thing. I wish you well wherever life takes you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your sincerity is truly felt and appreciated. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. and the worst part of all on the your gonna miss this is it is gone and can never come back. it is stuck in our memories and can't be found again. the old you can't go home again pertains to the times we had in another time of our lives. even when we see the same people it is much different. i reconnected a friend in 2006 at my dad's funeral. we were friends from age 15 through 40 and then lost touch... it is great but not the same... i think it is good for us that we can remember the good parts of our life... if you moved back to Sarasota it would be nothing like you remember. we have changed so much just in the past 10 to 20 years... my brother went back to visit our home in KY and he said he did not even know where he was... the memory he had was not there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that! (Except I lived in St. Pete, Clearwater and Tarpon; never Sarasota ... sorry for the confusion!) My girlfriend who retired from Channel 10 years after I left tells me I wouldn't recognize the place anymore.

      Delete
  6. We have a Wolfies here in our town. I have no idea if it is related at all to the one you mentioned. It's popular place where friends meet. To take in each moment and enjoy it is the only way to live. We do miss things, but then there is always something new ahead. I try to enjoy the adventure of the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm trying to do, Ma! When those trying times occur (like today's 120-degree weather forecast), I have to remind myself of the good and appreciate it while I'm here.

      Delete
  7. I am back 2 hours after my first comment. I loved this post by the way. I turned on the TV and The Rifleman was playing. this was one of my most favorite shows in the late 50's early 60's and I truly loved it. i watched the 30 minute show and it was the magic from back then was missing. what i remember is not there, but what i perceived back then. the perspective from then and now changed what i saw... your post has my thinker on fire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Thinker on fire" ... love it! Wasn't Johnny Crawford in The Rifleman? I used to think he was so dreamy. :)
      Say, in that same vein, did you watch Bat Masterson? I still know all the words!

      Delete
  8. What, I won't be able to meet you the next time I'm in Arizona? Well then I will have to visit you when I'm in Florida!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the confusion, Debby! It will be at least 18-24 months before we're ready to relocate. And then, the most probably locale will be Alabama near my son.
      I'm sure anxious to be your #5 (in-person blogger) one of these days! :)

      Delete
  9. Curious to see where your road is going to lead next. Life is ever changing, isn't it?

    I was just telling my husband yesterday how much I miss our kids being young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, Kim! This is the first time I recall not being certain of the where's and when's.

      Delete
  10. What a grand lesson, here! To embrace the moment. I love those relationships that last a lifetime but many times it is seasonal and fleeting. I'm melancholy and miss so much from my past and then I'm reminded that today as new adventures and memories to create. Happy Father's Day to Tom and wherever you choose to relocate, I wish you the best. May you be blessed with God's best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gotta admit, the cypress Gardens shot is my favorite! I love this 'complete line':

    I force myself to remember .....
    "Man Plans, God Chuckles."
    (Yes, on several occasions I've forced the outcome -- and had to live with the consequences.)

    This is a super read, thanks. Fun and fact.
    Love from NC where we are having fantastic weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankee so much, Jack! I was hoping you'd be by ... that I hadn't (inadvertently) said something to offend. :)

      Delete
  13. Another great post, Myra. I always yearn for the past - - but unfortunately I can only return in my memories. You can never really go back. The drastic changes are too painful.

    Spoken like a true sentimentalist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping you, in particular, would 'get' this, Jon. I'm an unashamed sentimentalist ... but hopefully, wise enough to know not to try and re-create the past.

      Delete
  14. I hope you're surviving the Phoenix sun. Yowza! I enjoyed your blog, and I can relate to "forcing outcomes." Not ever a good thing. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's keep reminding one another, Gayle! :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  15. Terrific post! I love that Trace Adkins song and I always need the box of tissue. Life changes too quickly. You blink and things are different. I just pray. But as we get older I think what shall we do? My honey can't work forever and then we will be thrust into the unknown. Until the die and I join them in heaven I can not help but feel my mother's passing was simply because her health ins. was going to quadruple and she would not have anything left to live on. My dad provided for her very well but the rising cost of healthcare and the government butting into it has made it spiral out of control. The clinic which we use as they have a big staff of doctors and P.A.'s is getting as ridiculous as bankers. You know I worked with these medical people for 32 years. It's like the old saying, if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen! Healthcare is as rotten as the government who butted into it! Why should I be forced to pay emergency room or urgent care fees when I have decent insurance that allows me to see an actual doctor if he isn't A) Golfing B) buying a new set of wheels C) babysitting his kids so the wife can spend that cash before it is made! At the first of January my hubby was told to have his doctors asst. check his blood pressure on a Saturday morning! SHe said, don;t even check in! Ha! SHe never went to bat for us when we were soaked with a $276 bill for a five minute BP check by a moran with a 9 month education from a school that costs as much for a nine month education as a year at a private university/college (i.e. Boston College)!! I hate what our government is doing to the worker stiffs. What will happen when they kill us all off from dropping dead of overwork?!?! I get so worked up over it I had my blood pressure rise and I am the type of person who a doctor says "Gee, Anne if I wasn't talking to you I would swear you were dead, your BP is so low!" I think I got way off the track here and I am sorry but I am so frustrated by the system. We pay they play. Argh........Whatever you and Tom decide to do, I wish you the very best! Life is hard, my mother would tell me, pray harder. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!