Sunday, June 5, 2016

In other news ...


June is bustin' out all over!  
... the mercury, that is.

Dang it!  I just burned the bottoms of my feet helping DH carry in the groceries, all the while hopping around our drive like a lunatic.  
Never fear! The weatherman promises temps will be dropping to 109 by mid-week.

I know, I know.  "Optimistic" am I.  (not)


Thank you so much for your well-wishes!  DH and I did enjoy a wonderful holiday weekend in the White Mountains.

Last year, one of my managers and his wife parlayed an inheritance into a 'mom-and-pop' 50's era motel in Pinetop.   
When Stephan talks about their 'little place' there's a sparkle in his eyes I've not seen in the 13 years we've known one another.  
I knew I had to investigate!

I don't think I've seen folks playing horseshoe since I was in Girl Scouts!

Now, if anyone has a pretentious bone in their body, they'd be well to keep on driving.   Then again, if anyone needs a refresher course in the real meaning of hospitality, I recommend they check out Antlers! 
No, I didn't say that on account of what was waiting for us inside.

Since DH is still prone to nocturnal panic attacks (my diagnosis) - and failed to pack his inhaler, I was mighty glad I'd opted for their largest guest room.  It could have just been his getting acclimated to the near 7,000' altitude, but sleep wasn't an option.  Thank goodness, by Day #2 he was feeling fine!

Eerily reminiscent of my hometown, I'm pretty sure, if I'd visited the White Mountains back in 2002 there's little chance I'd be living in Phoenix.   Even Tom commented, "It smells so clean!"

20 years ago, taking a 4 hour spin was no big deal.  These days we're not so enthusiastic.   
Wouldn't it be nice if someone were to start an armchair shuttle service?  Niche market!

The nicest surprise?
Unbeknownst to me, DH had been doing some detective work for weeks prior to our trip.

Brief background, if I may?
A preacher's kid - later turned seaman - my father never knew what it was like to live someplace you owned.   Supposedly, one of the first things he did upon being discharged by the Navy was buy a little spot of undeveloped land in Rhode Island.
Even for most of their years in Los Alamos, housing was controlled by Uncle Sam.

Still, daddy was passionate about becoming a land owner ... believing developers' promises from Florida to New Mexico to the Bahamas and back again to Florida.  
You know, those "$1 down, $1 a month" deals.
Unfortunately, like episodes from Murphy's Law, if he speculated on the east side of the street -- the west flourished.  

Eventually, my mother quit paying the taxes on the few remaining parcels of  'nothing' real estate.

The only remaining parcel - a spit of undeveloped land in Show Low, Arizona - seemed destined to the same fate.  
I'm not sure why I've continued to pay the pitifully small tax bill each year.  Maybe it's a warped sense of loyalty.  I don't know.

At any rate, Tom made several calls to the Property Assessor's office and spent hours online, trying to get directions to Paradise Unit 1, Lot 540.
After breakfast we took a 10 minute drive to Show Low  ...then off the pavement and seemingly, the face of the earth!

We spied a few residences, probably belonging to 'preppers' - but only one motorist, who slowed for a closer look, chuckled at our misdirection and set us back on the right course.

Da hood!

You know, I never really believed I'd see Daddy's land.
In fact, for the first part of our BACK-road adventure I was hoping Tom would just turn around and go back to civilization!

Then ...

I might have grown misty-eyed, were I not so worried about stepping on a rattlesnake!


Tom echoed my thoughts as we drove away,
"If I was 20 years younger ...."

God willing and the creek don't rise, I'll be back!


Luv y'all!  :)))
Myra









34 comments:

  1. Wow...how great that you finally got to see "the land". Makes my heart glad for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terri! Yes, for a moment I was foolishly, deliciously happy.

      Delete
  2. This brings back so many memories of our own lot before we built it up! I'm happy you enjoyed your time away at the Antler's. We went up to the White Mountains about 15 years ago and my Tom also had a hard time in the climb. He felt sick the first day. Maybe next time we'll take it slower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never considered the similarities, Mary! Wouldn't it be fun to meet up in the White Mountains some long weekend?

      Delete
  3. So nice that you were able to get away.

    Loved your dad's land - what are you gonna do with it? Wasn't it nice to be standing on land that your dad was so fond of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, for a moment I was ridiculously happy. I don't know that I'm in a position to "do" anything with the land except pass it on to my grands.

      Delete
  4. How special that trip was for you. Yay for Tom. To own a little piece of land there would be a dream. I agree about the being 20 years younger. What will you do with it? Hope Tom is feeling better now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paula! Part of me really wants to retire there, stick on a double-wide and become a 'prepper'! :)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad you enjoyed your excursion to the White Mountains (it looks so beautiful!) and I'm delighted that you got to see your father's land. It was certainly worth the effort.

    When my parents first moved to Southern California a lot of land was still cheap. Mom kept encouraging my father to buy some but he wouldn't hear of it. That was a golden opportunity that went down the toilet..... They could have been living on Easy Street.

    Unfortunately, I can strongly identify with nocturnal panic attacks. I get them quite often - I think mainly because I live alone here in the wilderness. And because I have an extremely active imagination.....

    109 degrees?? That's why I dislike Phoenix. I remember one time in Southern Calif. on the first day of school it was 115 degrees (in Anaheim, when I was in 7th grade).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to learn of your panic attacks, Jon. I appreciate that you and I both have an active imagination ... perhaps better to understand Tom.

      PS - For someone whose favorite season is winter, I can't fathom why I chose to live in Phoenix.

      Delete
  7. Some like it hot. I do not. I feel for you in that heat. To finally step foot on that land is wonderful indeed. And the motel was right up my alley. Just the kind of place I love too. Glad you had a nice trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay ... It's neat to hear the little motel is up your alley, as well! Working in hospitality, I grow weary of scripted welcomes and impersonal, branded accommodations.

      Delete
  8. I love to 'hear' you spin a tale. Good one. So glad you guys had a great time. I can relate to the preacher's son and not owning the home one lived in.
    I remember the 'land for sale' (lake front property aka swamp land in FL, etc)
    Glad you located the property 'you' have left. (I am smiling, we have a 'piece' of property we have seen twice in the last 20 yrs. But pay the small amt. of taxes every year) LOL

    Love stories of your dad & mom.
    BTW>>> Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jack! Your words seriously warm my heart.

      Delete
  9. I am glad that you had a good holiday in the White Mountains! It has been quite hot here in Germany of late as well. I am a winter person myself...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too!
      ... Being a winter person, that is.
      I was just a child of 7 the last time I saw Germany -- but I imagine it fancifully!

      Delete
  10. It sounds like a wonderful trip in more ways than one for sure ! I cannot imagine living where it is so hot. I love summer but here that means 80 degree days for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ma! 80-degree days sound heavenly, indeed.
      Our forecast originally called for 119 degrees on Saturday, so I was mighty happy with the actual 115. It's all relative! :)

      Delete
  11. Wondered which direction you took off to; sounded like a fun time! Haven't been down to that part of the state yet. How sweet for Tom tracking down your dad's land and you being able to step foot on it. I can just imagine the emotions you felt in doing so! I do hope you make it a "habit" to visit the area often :)

    Told hubby we survived the first of many hot days here. You know, we paced ourselves, we hydrated ourselves, we laid low, we still did get some things done. The joy though of helping take care of the little one for a few days when they needed it and time spent together was worth the excessive heat and the worry about the electric bills ahead.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering how y'all felt about the first heat-wave, Betty! Then again, having the 'wee one' in your arms must make such a difference! Methinks your priorities are exactly in the right place!

      Delete
  12. love the story of The Land... maybe it will someday be worth a lot of money.. i would love to visit the place you went on vacation. sounds like my kind of place. except of course the 7000 high thing.. i might not be able to breathe at that elevation. I just asked google girl what elevation we are here in Bradenton and it is SIX as in 5.906... soooooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd totally forgotten the meaning of 'sea level' ... LOL!
      Thanks for the thumb's up! I'll never live to see it worth much $$$, but it's neat to envision my granddaughters doing something with it someday.

      Delete
  13. All around, this post made me smile. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and words like yours make my heart smile back! (Coming from you, Gayle, I'm humbled.)

      Delete
  14. Yes, you are in for a hot summer! We have already been over 100 which isn't normal for us. Sorry about his inhaler. I have them everywhere!!! So that's your daddy's land? What can you do with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, we could probably build ... or just stick a trailer home atop the lot. Probably, the major expense would be drilling for water. Not so sure that's something we want to tackle at our age.

      Delete
  15. Myra, you always take me with you, in spirit at least. What a great story about your dad's property.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Dayle! Your affirmation means a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I truly love your stories and feel so badly that I have been absent here. I am grateful the tiny baby is heading for his phamily vacation with his parents to her birthplace in Wisconsin. That baby loves to be entertained. I use all my energy in the first couple hours which is ok as that is how long I usually have him. But yesterday I had him for a full 7 hours. Oye! LOL! Your stories are always so marvelous. I am happy you got to go there, I love the place where you stayed. I am not much into all the hoyty toyty stuff. The best place we travel is the Gallaghers lovely townhome in Vail, CO. Although it sits on a gorgeous golf course, I love the peace and solitude. They generously allow us to stay free of charge. We just have to do our laundry to replace bath towels etc. and dishes . Not a bad trade for a little time away from the world. My daughters friend was in South Dakota recently. Stunned that the hotel gave them an actual door key! LOL! My daughter Noelle was aghast! I told her to chill out. We stayed in a motel in Winfield, KS. once. The 1950's decor made me smile. Oh what I wouldn't give to have some of the cool stuff my folks had in their home. :-( I hope your weekend is cool and quiet. We are hitting the 90's and I am not a happy camper. :-( Love and Hugs, Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sooooo glad to 'see' you, Anne!
      Love what you said about 'hoyty-toyty' places. Thankfully, I left that soul-less atmosphere behind 30 years ago!

      PS - I've only visited Vail once (70's), but it remains a favorite. I hope Heaven's a bit like that!

      Delete
  18. You should plant a cactus in his honor. Any more of those lots for sale? I might buy one :)
    R

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now that's a great idea ... my dad would love it!
    Sure, and there's a wealth of those lots for the taking. (ref. Show Low Paradise lots for sale.) We could be preppers together (*smile*).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!