Sunday, June 12, 2016

Belonging



Hello, my name is Myra and I'm a Watcher.
(Just keeping it real, m'friends!)

Even at our local car wash, while seated in the waiting room, I can't help but observe others ..... trying to guess which vehicle belongs to whom. 

Only the other weekend over breakfast, hubby couldn't help asking, "What are you staring at?!"

Me:  "Over your left shoulder, about 1:00.  I dunno, they just don't belong.
No! .... Don't look now!"

Our hosts' suggestion for a local eatery was spot on:  Friendly and homey with amazing, made-from-scratch breakfast fare.  Like ourselves, everyone was clad in jeans and t-shirts; some in ball caps.  Working folks.

Then, my caloric reverie was interrupted when a Farrah Fawcett look-alike and her hubby were seated nearby.   Casually, but expensively dressed, their appearance underscored an assurance that only comes from old money and good looks.   When she rose to use the ladies room I couldn't help but covet admire her Size 2 jeans, the hounds-tooth bolero jacket, worn almost as an after-thought atop a white tee.   

Don't get me wrong.  Nothing in their behavior cried, "pretentious!"   Nevertheless, I was transfixed.  Watching their immediate absorption with their electronic devices I concluded:  They were long married.  She a real estate broker.  He in Brooks Brothers, a surgeon. Given her perfectly chiseled features, a plastics man. 
        
As we pulled out of our parking lot, I glanced about, deciding they must belong to the late-model sports car with the butterscotch leather top.  Pity we couldn't linger.  My DH has no imagination, poor soul!


Not for the first time, I wonder what unspoken messages DH and I send.  (Yes, I still care far too much what others' think.)

There's a real comfort to be found at the Houses of Belonging. Don't you agree?  
Unfortunately, there's been some unrest at the place I call 'home away from home' each weekday ...  I'm left to suspect I no longer belong.  I don't know if I'm outgrowing them ... or they, me.    

But being a pathologically-responsible sort, I'm trying to hang in there, at least for another couple of years.  

This may sound silly, but I take inspiration from this 'hanger' that I've driven past nearly every day for the last decade.  Throughout the seasons and violent sandstorms it's persevered.



    A co-worker once asked, "What will you do if, someday, it should fall?" 

Well, there's my answer, isn't it?   

Have a sweet new week, everyone!



    

23 comments:

  1. This is so deep!! LOL Richard and I used to love to 'people watch'. We made up stories too. Just like you did with your 'old money' couple. We used to laugh at what people thought of us. Most of the time Richard was sure they were thinking he was my father. That is when I loved to plant a big old "this is not your daughter" kiss on him. Then I would howl with laughter because he was almost always horrified. I never much cared what others thought of me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I'm afraid I'd be horrified, just like Richard. Love your moxie, Paula!

      Delete
  2. I enjoy people watching too. Sometimes Joe and I make up stories about people we see. Makes us giggle most of the time! Interesting post, Myra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri! I've a hunch you and Joe have such fun together.

      Delete
  3. I love this post; it made me smile from ear to ear. I, too, am guilty of staring much too long at people and observing them for fun. Wishing you a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing you smile ... happy to oblige, m'dear Mary!

      Delete
  4. I'm a people watcher, too. My favorite are hotel lobbies, or just sitting on a bench along the sidewalk. While I was sitting on Madison Avenue the other day, a person dressed in pink, including a pink pith helmet passed me. Inspired a blog post. Best fun that doesn't cost anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, what a banquet of faces you're fortunate to observe "free for nothing." (That was one of my mother's favorite sayings.)

      Delete
  5. It's a great hobby people watching. I love the stories we conjure up about who is who and what is what. You gave me a much needed laugh tonight before I head off to bed with your assessment of the look-a-like and her Brooks Brother husband when you said, "Given her perfectly chiseled features, a plastics man." My question is did she have the silicone implants too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't think so. As I recall, her physique was more "Town & Country" slim.
      Happy to hear you enjoy 'people watching' as well!

      Delete
  6. My gawd, I'm surprised that the hanger is still hanging. It looks extremely vulnerable - much like myself.

    I used to be a people watcher when I lived in Southern California. There was an enormous array of colorful characters there and, of course, the whole place was a stage.

    Nowadays I slyly watch the creepy people in the local TN Walmart and think "Holy crap, I hope I don't look that bad."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Walmart comment made me laugh out loud! I used to think those 'people of Walmart' posts were put-on's ... and then I paid a visit. Yikes, and talk about trying to UN-see.

      Yes, vulnerable is a great description for the hanger. I find myself subconsciously cheering him on, like a paraplegic in physical therapy.

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed reading about your time at the local eatery! I love watching people. Oh my, that is some hanger you drive by.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debby!
      You know, given the awful events in today's tumultuous society, we 'people watchers' could be in demand as astute witnesses.

      Delete
  8. each time you post i can't wait to see what pops up and out of your mind. i would think we were sisters separated at birth but for the fact you are thin and i am fat. but our minds are so much alike... my DH knows when we are seated that i am to ALWAYS get the VIEW and never face a wall. Avid People Watcher is what I am and I to go into la la land putting stories to the people I see up to and including what they drove their. today's post made me happy because now i am not alone in the Watcher status... be sure to let us know when the non shoe drops or if.... loved this post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, your comment had me walking around all day, grinning ear-to-ear. Being an only child, I'd be honored to call you 'sis' any day. Thank you!

      Delete
  9. Wow, you wonder with all the high winds with the monsoons, etc., why that hanger keeps hanging around! Could be a sign maybe for you should it no longer be there on your daily commute.

    I love your first line; I could be part of that group too since I'm a watcher also. Sounds like a fascinating amount of watching on your recent adventure out to eat, and the food sounds delicious too!

    As long as the stress is manageable at work, hang on as long as you can. When it starts becoming more of a chore than a pleasure to go to work, then maybe its time to move on?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advice, Betty. A wise man once told me, "When there's a change at the top, start dusting off your resume." Well, there have been 3 BIG shake-ups "atop" just in the last month. Now, I'm curious to watch the action from my 'hidey-hole.' :)

      Delete
  10. You always make me smile. People watching is a very interesting pastime, especially at the airport. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! When I first moved to Florida and knew no-one at work, I'd go to a cafe at TIA and watch the parade. Pity be darned! I figured no-one would bat an eye seeing a woman eating alone there at the airport.

      Delete
  11. I'm a born people watcher and, like you, I make up stories in my head about them. I'd bet I'm wrong more than right because it's true, you can't judge a book by its cover, although, sometimes you totally can. I feel sure that was a "plastics man," and Lord help me but I need one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You're so beautiful, Dayle; I can't fathom where he'd start. :)
      Glad to know my imagination is in good company!

      Delete
  12. I am a people person and people watcher too! My kids think I will be whisked off by a mad serial killer! Waiting int he nail salon once long ago when I had that luxury, I struck up a converation with another customer. She offered my gum! HaHa! My girls were dropping their jaw as if I were two taking candy from a stranger! LOL! My hubby is good company most of the time. If he sees a pretty girl or a girl built to the 10's he will see my expression and say "I'm married, I'm not dead!" LOL! If we see couples getting too friendly, I will chuckle to my mister and say "Gee get a room, Tom Bodet said he'd leave the light on! Sometime when people are rude I would like to burst out in my parents homeland language sLOVEnian and look at their expressions! My goodness you make this more fun and make me smile more! You have such a creative genius about you! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!