Sunday, May 15, 2016

The rest of the story ...


Whew!  I didn't mean to be so long!
What's that they say? ...


... well, ya!


Before I forget ....   (Thank you for asking, Debby!)
Aside from Show-and-Tell, my only other hit involved a group exercise called, "Never Have I Ever."   

Once everyone had been given a red Solo cup -- each containing a dozen peanut butter cups -- I placed a box in the center of  the room and explained the rules:

Going around the room, the first player makes an honest, declarative statement: "Never have I ever __________"  (e.g., been skinny-dipping.)
If anyone else in the room had done that, they had to forfeit one of their candies in the box.

Obviously, players strategize to choose something they feel most everyone else has done at one time or another.
Why, the air positively filled with Reese's cups when one fellow admitted, "Never have I ever been to Los Angeles."

The biggest hoot came when, early on, a player stated, "Never have I ever lied to Michele."  (Our GM.)

Dead silence.

Then, before the atmosphere could grow any more uncomfortable(!),  a young man ran up and dumped the entire contents of his cup into the box.

It was pretty neat that the last player with candy remaining was our housekeeping manager -- who got to share the bounty with her hard-working associates!

* * *

Ya know, I was seriously considering making a (PG-rated) list of my own Never Have I Ever's to see how many treats I might collect from y'all!

Then it dawned on me, there's little I've not done (or tried).  
Like Mr. Anka wrote,  "Regrets?  I've a few, but then again, too few to mention."



* * *

So, I've had something rattling around in my mind for a couple months now.

A while back, a corporate BMOC came a-visiting.  
Gathered in the conference room, he asked each of us to introduce ourselves and answer his question, "Do you feel safe?"

Whoa.  Way to be (not!)!  Situated immediately to his left, I had no time to consider the implications of my answer.  
"No, I do not."

BMOC looked mildly surprised, but I went on to explain that (I think) feeling safe is synonymous with complacency.

Sure, I answered that question from a business standpoint, but I'm not sure it's not true of life, in general.
I suppose the last time I truly felt safe was the night before my father woke me up for school and shared the Bay of Pigs incident ... and presumed war.

Some of you may remember, I've adopted a 'parachute" philosophy:
Pathetic maybe, but most everywhere I go I've fallen into a habit of scoping out emergency exits ... and restrooms.
(Stepping on cracks aside, I still lift my feet when crossing railroad tracks.)  

How about you?   Do you feel safe?




Have a great week, everyone! 


Hugs from Macie, Grace
... and their mom :)





                                     






26 comments:

  1. I like the peanut butter game! Clever. I agree with your answer about safety. We don't grow if we get complacent and risks takes us out of our comfort zone. Too many times I choose safety instead of challenge. The speaker today at church said it like this: "God meant it to be a tent but you make it your dwelling place." Meaning that we are too comfortable with yesterday's victories and not believing for the new, unsafe status leading us to more victorious living.

    Hugs to Macie, Grace and mom & dad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds as if the pastor/speakers at your church are totally tuned to the challenges facing their congregation. I can sure identify with that analogy. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. I may be crazy but I absolutely do feel safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not crazy at all, Paula. I seriously envy your self-assuredness!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a great game to play; I'll have to remember that if I'm in a large group like that. Could be fascinating with what questions are asked of others.

    I personally feel safe; but I'm not sure about how family members and their safety. At times I have felt like we were under attack so much by the enemy and son was the weak link in the chain and worried about his safety. So many prayers have been said for him; I fear for his safety but then I wonder if it is because how it will affect me.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! I thought that (game) could be a great ice-breaker for almost all ages.

      You've certainly touched the hearts of mothers everywhere. I don't think we every out-grow our concern for our children's safety. Your last sentence is particularly spot-on! How, indeed?

      Delete
  5. Say hello to the pups. CUTIES both of them. The game sounds like fun. I think I've seen Ellen on TV play it with the stars. But your office version sounds much more interesting. My husband spends alot of time on the road traveling and I'm always worried about his safety. Mine was threatened not once but several times this year and I may never recover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, Taryterre ... thank you!

      I'm truly sorry to hear you were made to feel vulnerable this year. Prayers going up, northeast! (God knows the details.)

      Delete
  6. I'd love to play that game with my family. What an eye opener it could be and fun for sure ! I do feel safe. I didn't always but have learned to live one day at a time and make the most of it. It's not always easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, won't you let me know if y'all do play?! As close as your family seems, that could be a challenge!

      Delete
  7. A fun game to play, but it could become dangerous! LOL I feel relatively safe, but I do take precautions along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, of course! Certain subjects (politics, religion, intimacies) need avoided at all costs.

      Delete
  8. That was really a fun game with the PB cups! That is an interesting question. I feel safe in my home and I usually feel safe when I'm out however because I am not in control of my families comings and goings I always worry about them being safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nodding my head over here ... don't you hate the feeling of not being in control?

      I don't know that I walk around waiting for the sky to fall on me, so much as I fear being sucker-punched.

      Delete
  9. A unique game methinks. It sounded like you guys did have fun at it.
    Now Safe? Yep, I think I always have. My wife once asked me what I would do it our ship sunk Mid Atlantic. My serious answer, "I'd swim home." (You can say something stupid, when you don't think you will ever have to prove it.)
    As ALWAYS I enjoyed the read... Good stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Jack, you make me smile. I'd have loved to witness Sherry's expression when you said that!

      Delete
  10. love the dumping all the candy because of lies. to funny. fun game. no i dont feel safe. i feel somewhat safe in my house. other than that no. not safe to drive in our town, have to be careful walking in walmart, keeping look out for robbers and such. our country is not safe and never will be. we now have machine gun guards in public places and airports.. but then we have never been safe. nothing has changed. in the 1700's people died from Indian attacks, cutting a foot and gangrene, robbers and murder have been around since the beginning of time... i have a friend who always feels safe, she never even thinks she is not.... wish that were me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a thoughtful response, Sandra ... thank you!
      Perhaps, I shouldn't have painted myself so much 'Chicken Little' as cautionary.

      Delete
  11. (how did I miss this post??)

    Only fools feel safe - and they are always the first to go.

    I am perpetually paranoid, suspicious, careful, alert, apprehensive. But I'm not a Basket Case. Honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you're not! :)
      Because you've witnessed more than the rest of us dare to imagine, I suspect you're not likely to be blindsided any time soon.

      PS - I'm glad you found this!

      Delete
  12. Thanks to the prior years in my life, I've never felt safe - because I've never BEEN safe. Right now, with a loving, non-abusive husband, and living 800 miles from my prior nightmare, this would be the first time I could feel safe- but I refuse. If I ever experienced the feeling of safety, I'm afraid I'd get hit by a beer truck and dragged down a gravel road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I get what you're saying. Lotta Joy. No-one wants to risk being sucker-punched. Baby steps ...

      Delete
  13. I played this game once or twice as a youngster...good times :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to have kindled a happy memory, OE! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  14. I love the game! Must try that sometime, perhaps with the kids! LOL! Safe, uhmmm.....N O ! Too much going on in our nation. I trust no political party and that is a huge problem in this country. They can not even be true to their own party so why would they give a hoot about us? After being stopped in Goodland KS by a KS state trooper and having him rile through our luggage N O I will never feel safe anywhere. I am just careful not stupid or paranoid. I probably felt the safest in NYC as there is a lot of police and people interacting. Great subject, sometime everyone is thinking of being too nice, too sweet, dreaming of unicorns and rainbows when life is kicking us down. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!