Sunday, May 1, 2016

Games people play ...


Sophomoric.
... That's just one of the nicer terms I used to describe Fun and Games Time that follows each morning's leadership line-up.  

No, I'm not making that up.
When our organization was acquired by the Big Corporation, that activity became an expectation.

Sure, I'm all about joviality and boosting morale.  
Unfortunately, when you've a dozen diverse participants ranging in age from their early 20's to (ahem) 60-something ... most of whom are athletically inclined ... someone's gotta play the fool.

I've never pretended to possess much hand-eye coordination.
... or any coordination, for that matter. (lol)

Yet, in the last year-and-a-half I've been compelled to play my very first games of 

Basketball (something they call 'pig')
Rock, Paper, Scissors
Pass the Lifesaver-on-a-Straw
Egg-Spoon-pass
and what seems like a 100 varieties of beer pong  ...minus the beer, of course!

Normally, I'm the first to laugh at myself.  
I wouldn't feel so bad had I not glimpsed an eye roll now and then.  Or worse, sensed someone's dejection when paired with me.

1968 all over again.
Wow. When Janis Ian recorded "At Seventeen" I felt like someone finally understood.    

 
... Those whose names were never called, when choosing sides for basketball.


When April rolled around, it became my turn to facilitate the games people play.  (Woo-hoo!)  

Vowing not to deliberately embarrass anyone, I focused on Robert Fulghum-istics.



Except, I once relapsed and handed everyone a piece of paper containing a diagram of the United States.  I set a timer for 5 minutes and asked them to fill in the states' names.  That went over like a proverbial lead balloon!

My favorite activity was "Show-and- Tell."
When, at the beginning of the month  I announced that every Monday would be "Show-and-Tell", I was met with blank expressions.  Some wanted to know, "What are the rules?"

After the first couple of weeks, almost everyone became really enthused.
One young man brought in the carburetor from a car he's restoring. Another unbuttoned the top of his collar to reveal a tiny gold cross (that) he's worn every day since his grandmother gave it to him on her death-bed 40-some years ago.
One woman's story elicited a few tears ... and a smattering of applause from her peers.

... and it occurred to me, Blogland's not all that different than Show-and-Tell.

There was another activity everyone enjoyed
involving total disclosure, strategic intent and Reese's peanut butter cups.
In the interest of time, I'll share that next time.

Perhaps the biggest take-away from April is the realization, this isn't 1968 ...and there are no losers.  At times, my co-workers exasperate and annoy me. I probably do them, as well.
But in the end I believe we truly care about one another.


"And it is still true, no matter how old you
are - when you go out into the world, it is best
to hold hands and stick together."

- Robert Fulghum


 Hugs from Phoenix!
 Myra

32 comments:

  1. Hugs back to you! I agree with Mr. Fulghum's quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri!
      Robert Fulghum observations have certainly centered my soul. Glad you like him, too!

      Delete
  2. What fun! I wonder how many of them didn't know the location of all the states?? I think I could fill it out! Not sure. I should try it though. And I loved the idea of show and tell. I really like your graphic! I'll come back to listen to the song. Harley is screaming for dinner to be ready!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee-hee ... most of them, Paula. To tell the truth, when I first took this 'test' I misplaced Illinois ... hubby's home. New England? I just threw up my hands.

      Delete
    2. I would imagine I would be the same. I love the song. I don't think I had heard it before. Yes, that was me!! I was never chosen for any sports. I was horrible at it. I wasn't an ugly duckling although I often thought I was! I invented a few lovers. But not on the phone. We didn't have a phone when I was 17!!

      Delete
  3. I like the way you change gears. Not everyone wants to play basketball, they shoulda like the states game! LOL My Sherry woulda loved it.
    There are a lot of tales in our lives that would touch someone, and does, when someone like you can drag it out of them.

    YOu mentioned a change when another company takes over, sometimes it is good, other times it is because new management coming in will not have to LEARN the local tet a tet. BUT every one there will have to learn new rules and guidelines.

    BUT I do agree, when folks work closely, they become like a family unit. (But many times there is THAT ONE! LOL)

    I always get a kick out of my visits here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jack! Yes, I can imagine you and Sherry each acing the US Geography quiz. I'm ashamed to admit, the northeast US threw me for a loop.

      Ya, there's not a little of discomfort associated with being a cog in a big wheel. I pray every day to adapt.

      Delete
  4. You are one fun gal! Love the descriptions you gave of Show and Tell! And the states game. How fun! Yes, all this has to unite you guys.
    P.S. I always thought, too, finally someone understood (At 17!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks!
      Mary, I never might have guessed you'd empathize with 'At 17.' Why, it makes me love ya more! :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. I like the game with the states! I personally would have aced it but then we did a lot of game playing like this when I was growing up.

    I like your final statement; you and your coworkers truly do care about each other and that is worth its weight in gold.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Betty!
      Several of us have worked together going on 14 years now so it sometimes feels like they're family. (For better or worse ... LOL!)

      Delete
  6. "Sophomoric" is exactly the right word. I personally can't tolerate all the juvenile gamey crap that adults like to indulge in - and it's even worse when you're compelled (forced) to participate.

    Am I being too harsh? Probably, but that's the way I feel. Perhaps I'm having horrific flashbacks of all the shit (oops, I mean crap) I went through in school.

    I do, however, like the idea of show and tell. And you are right on target - it is a lot like blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have done fairly well with the "fill in the names of the states" game.

      Delete
    2. LOL! Initially I began with, "Moronic" -- but thought that sounded too harsh.

      It sounds like you and I each experienced some unhappy times in Gym/PE. I'd get the most God-awful stitch in my side while running laps and had to pull up. 'Brunhilde' grew so angry! I'm sure she thought I was faking it, but was too afraid to say so. Only years later was I diagnosed with pleurisy.

      Delete
  7. I think the show and tell stories brought a poignancy to the exercise. The song had special meaning to me too. POWERFUL lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice compliment about the exercise! Thank you for letting me know the song resonated with you, as well. It's been years and years, but the first time I played it, I wept.

      Delete
  8. They say all work and no play makes for a dull day...so I guess you all liven things up a bit. I never worked where the games that people played were real games, but games were played all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately there are "those" games here, as well. I suppose that's true of many environments, but it seems so pointless and sad. Why can't people just do the work they're paid to do and quit with the jockeying and posturing!

      Delete
  9. You always have such interesting posts. I like the map/state game the best. I would have done well, including the capitols. My mom drilled those in our heads on every road trip. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hadn't considered state capitols! Next year when my turn comes around again, that's ammunition to REALLY annoy my colleagues!

      Delete
  10. i am so glad they did not do the game thing where i worked. we did do fun things but nothing silly. i have never liked games, i don't like shower games, wedding or baby and i don't play cards or any games at all, nothing on line.. that would make your game thing childish to me... i do like your show and tell and would love that and the state game i would get maybe half or if it has the drawing of the states i might get them all... our work place did dress up days, theme days.. i did not dress up but i did enjoy seeing the others... i loved this post, thanks for sharing it. most of all i love being retired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra! It sounds like we share many of the same opinions.
      I'm mighty jealous of your being retired. Someday, maybe....

      PS - Yes, the paper did have the outlines of each state. I wasn't too clear, was I?

      Delete
  11. I'm happy to hear that the Show and Tell was a hit! Reese's PB cups are my favorite....do tell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debby ... they're mine, too! :)

      Delete
  12. That's an excellent idea for a game. Show and tell.
    R

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Rick!
    I suspect there's a third-grader in each of us, just waiting to be asked.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm still scarred from elementary school gym. I'd like your games a whole lot better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your vote of confidence, Carol!

      Delete
  15. As a native of Kentucky (before moving across the pond last year to Europe), basketball is in my blood :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I once worked with a fellow from Kentucky. I couldn't/wouldn't understand the game, but his passion was enviable.

      Delete
  16. I would have given that stae game a run for it's money and I still love doing state capitals. Ah...gone by the wayside. Instead they teach children the evils of Christianity, the kindness of Islam and how to know if you are indeed a transgender. Young people today know nothing about our history. They know nothing about geography and it is just frightening the things I see and hear on social media. Theresa in Texas is right, social media is cutting and cruel. Lots of food for thought. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!