Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Another Helping of Hodgepodge!



Happy March, everyone!
... It's my favorite month and time once more for Hodgepodge! (If you're unfamiliar with this feature, just answer the following questions on your own blog and link up with Joyce right here


February ended with an extra 24 hours in 2016.  What did you do with your bonus day?



I took the day off work and we visited the Social Security office where I signed up to receive full retirement benefits.
Wow.  I was crazy nervous, like they were going to tell me "no" or something!




What's something in your life that's grown by leaps and bounds in recent days, weeks, months or years?  

Up 'til the last decade, I always loved long road trips!
Typical!

Unfortunately, I'm turning into my Grandma Willer ... the original Nervous Nellie. Long before seat belts, my dad's '53 Ford had these leather loop-thingies affixed to the backs of the front seats. Going up the mountain, G'ma would be hanging onto hers with both hands!
DH's truck doesn't have any straps, but I'm doing more than my share of stomping on the passenger side brake pedal and wincing at other motorists.  I hate I-10!!!





Do you read reviews about a film before decided if you'll see it?

We rarely go out to a movie, but I prefer friends' recommendations above any self-important critic.

Did you watch The Oscars this year, and if so, your thoughts on the program?  How many of the Best Picture nominees had you seen prior to the broadcast?  (Spotlight, The Martian, The Big Short, The Revenant, Mad Max, Fury Road, Room, and Brooklyn)  If your watched The Oscars, who gets your award for 'best dressed'?


I'd not seen any of these flicks, but curiosity won out.
I'm not particularly thin-skinned but yes, I was offended by Chris Rock's monologue.  Frankly, I was so steamed I couldn't tell you what anyone was wearing.




When did you last have overnight house guests?

Tom's sis makes it a point to visit each Spring!

Give us your top three tips on being a good house guest.

1.  I'm happy to serve your first cup of coffee, but after that I'll hope you make yourself at home.
2.  Thank you for listening when I ask you NOT to help me clean the kitchen.  I enjoy your company but please ... just pour a glass of wine and stay on the other side of the kitchen island,  OK?
3.  A little thing, perhaps, but I always appreciate when someone strips their bed sheets before departing. 




March 2 is Peanut Butter Lover's Day.  Will you be celebrating?  If so, would you prefer a home-made peanut butter cookie, a Reese's peanut butter cup, an old-fashioned peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or should I just hand you a jar and a tablespoon?

If you've a chilled jar of JIF extra-crunchy and a frozen tablespoon, why, I'll follow you anywhere!




Why is failure important?  Or isn't it?

I think it's definitely important.  
Beneficial, as well, if one learns from his/her experience and gets back up again.
(I think a parent who never allows their child to fail is doing them a huge disservice.)


 



Share with us one fun thing on your March calendar.

We're seeing "Fiddler on the Roof" at Arizona Broadway Theatre this Saturday. The last time I saw it (in) downtown Chicago, I was 15 y/o ... and, of course, terribly impressionable.  
(1965 for those of you keeping score, lol!)



Insert your own random thought here.
So, Internal Audit arrived Monday ... with a most unpleasant 'got-cha' attitude.
Having worked in accounting for many years, sure, I 'get' the process ...  but I really resent the implication we're guilty until proven innocent.  (My boss keeps telling me not to take it personally.)

Anyway, my AGM finally asked, "Do you expect us to be compliant - or perfect?"

... and I thought, isn't that a great way in which to live our own lives?  What-cha say, let's focus on compliance and toss any unrealistic expectations of perfection!




Hugs from Phoenix,
Myra

PS - I wonder if anyone else is experiencing issues with Blogger font and spacing?   'Tis driving the dickens out-a me!




31 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your social security retirement. The clerk that processed my paperwork almost fell off her chair when she realized I was born in the same Chicago hospital that she was! We bonded and she was helpful to me. Yes to Blogger issues! I like road trips too, but not when we have to drive through the big cities like Phx and I-10!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a small world! Regretfully, "my" clerk wasn't nearly as congenial; perhaps he was just having an off day and my exuberance was off-putting. (Heck, I hadn't been so excited since the first time I was allowed to vote!)

      Delete
  2. I haven't noticed any Blogger issues, but someone did tell me earlier that she had received an email from Blogger about a post I had done last June!

    Good for you for getting signed up for social security retirement! I am glad to know people who are doing so, my sister in law did this year and my brother in law signed up for Medicare. I want people to get some benefits from it before it sinks, hope it doesn't sink for you.

    How fun to see Fiddler on the Roof; love that play/musical.

    Perfection I think should come along with compliance for audits. For instance, we get audited on our reports; randomly, have no idea which one they will pull of yours (there is a little idea, shorter reports and not the tough dictators) but they are looking obviously for following client profile on how work is to be done (compliance) as well as perfection (grammar correct, punctuation, etc). So I guess the perfect audit would be one that includes compliance :)

    All I can say is I'm glad I work at home; I'm not sure I could handle I-10 or 17 for that manner!

    (and thankfully our home is 3 miles from their home on city streets:)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only 3 miles? That's going to be so precious, having a front-row seat to your grand's formative years!

      Your take on the audit is interesting ... thank you. Knock wood, I think we did A-OK. We're only as strong as our weakest link; and sometimes I find it challenging to have to rely on others!

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed reading your answers. Hope the retirement plans go smoothly and the audit. Yeah perfection is definitely overrated lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! Love your close! :)
      This (SSA benefits) is but the first step. I wanted to wait to apply, so I won't be dinged or penalized from continuing to draw a paycheck from my present employer.

      Delete
  4. We are all human so we are imperfect creatures, but that should never stop us from doing our best, whatever we do. I think it's great you got signed up for retirement benefits. You paid for them as did I, so we might as well enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure agree about striving to do our best - whatever the circumstance. Unfortunately, I have to rely on others to accomplish my job successfully.
      Now, that quote about "No man is an island" makes more sense than it did in grade school! (*smile*)

      Delete
  5. Richard loved musicals and we watched Fidler on the Roof on TV many times. I wish he could have seen it live! I was right there with you about Chris Rock. In fact, I was so annoyed I turned it off. And I didn't watch GMA or The View the next day because I didn't want their opinion either. YAY..SS retirement. I took mine early when I had to quit working and take care of the old man. Not a lot to live on, but it helps. This year I sign up for Medicare. That will be nice since I have NO health insurance right now. Not, that I'll go to the doctor anyway. You know how us old RN's are!!Loved all of your answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paula! Shortly after we moved here to Phoenix, Tom took his SS early, too. It made ALL the difference.
      For now, I'm continuing to work and subscribe to the company's insurance provider. Health care in this country is a disgrace ... please take good care of yourself!!!

      Delete
  6. Last things first:
    YES! I've been having font and spacing issues with Blogger for months. Sometimes it's worse than others. The font issues have momentarily subsided, but now I have spacing issues.

    I didn't watch the Oscars this time around. It gets worse every year (I miss the good ol' days when I crashed the Oscars....). I'm tired of listening to rants by the Tinseltown Libs.... and it REALLY irks me to constantly hear that "Hollywood is racist".

    House guests? The best thing a house guest can do is leave early - - or, better yet, announce that they changed plans and aren't coming.....

    Peanut butter - I love it on just about anything. I put it on apples...and chocolate bars.

    The very first time I saw "Fiddler on the Roof" it was at a dinner theater in New Jersey, and I was 19. I absolutely loved it.

    Oh - - that photo of the sleeping kid brings back memories. When I was a toddler, I ALWAYS slept in the back window of the car on road trips. When I was two (or three??) my parents took a trip from New Jersey to Arizona and I slept in the back window the whole way.

    Parents would be arrested nowadays for allowing that.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that you in the kid photo?

      Delete
    2. Nope, that's a stock photo from Bing. Still, it might well have been me. I, too, used to love crawling up on that ledge ... the best sleep, ever!

      Delete
    3. Laughing out loud about your house-guest comment! Given the layout of our home and my crazy hours, I've taken over the guest bath ... so when Tom's sis and BIL visit, I'm prone to pout.

      Another peanut-butter fan! It used to be so bad, I wouldn't leave home without it ... literally. My son has a picture somewhere of he and I sprawled across a hotel room bed in Athens, a big jar of JIF between us.... because that eve's dinner (fish heads) was pretty revolting.

      Delete
    4. I didn't think that was you in the photo because it looks like a boy.

      Delete
  7. Loved your answers and it seems we are probably just a few months apart in age. I'll be hooking up with the social security office by the end of this year and was 15 in 1966. In case anyone is keeping score! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL ... Thanks for the smile, Terri!
      (Weren't we the LUCKIEST for having grown up in the 60's?)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise. Have a great day!

      Delete
  9. You know I watch a lot of movies and the Oscar's. I also knew that Chris Rock would be touching base on the Black issue this year. However after about an hour of it I had enough. We got the point, move on already. Love your answer on the PB. Enjoy Fiddler on the Roof and the rest of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie! I recall your saying your father managed a movie theater, and I was thinking what a 'bonus' that must have been for you and Mark when you were dating!? :)

      Delete
  10. After reading your blog today I'm going to have to join this meme. So many of your answers were right on with me. Your way of enjoying peanut butter would have Frank following you around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you do (join)!
      You're are such a superb writer ... whose words never fail to draw me in.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought the monologue was horrible. Enough already. I turned it off.

    Love the photo of you sleeping in the car window. LOL.

    We have guests often at the lake house and I always ask that they strip the bed before leaving, toss the sheets in the laundry room and put a clean set of sheets on the bed. I don't think that's too much to ask.

    I'll join you in that jar of cold Chunky peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Kim! I wasn't sure if I didn't come off sounding 'bossy' about stripping the bed linens. Next time, I'll try your approach and ask them to put a clean set on, as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't see the Academy Awards, but I usually fall asleep in the first hour. I'm with you on peanut butter, but I buy powdered and make chocolate peanut butter shakes. Incredibly good, and I fool myself into thinking I'm eating Reese's.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm lagging behind in getting around Blogland, but it's always a joy catching up with you, Myra. I enjoyed every word ,and I hope you got your font issues fixed by now.

    As for the Oscards, I've never been a big "celebrity" event watcher, or a movie-goer either, for that matter. Seems such events no longer respect boundaries of any kind.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know this is long ago when those Oscars were on but Chris Rock was getting on my last nerve. Sort of like this memorial service for Muhammed Ali. I basically heard black lives matter and come to the LDS church! WTH!? People can grate on my last nerve quickly in today's society. It is the political correctness they all eagerly embrace. Kinda like when Hitler was ruling the world during WWII. Such a tragedy and yet yet most are so clueless. I love peanut butter. I use both powder and the jar stuff. oh, yum....My friend Bev at the grocery store turned me on to a power bar that sort of tastes like a dark chocolate turtle. I often have one while I am running around. We seem to catch the movies after the fact although we were going to the movies for a while. The last one we saw was The 33. Forced myself to watch it as you know my mother lost her dad and older brother in a gold mining accident when she was 13, February 1927. The movie was well done and showed me once more how government has zero regard for the working stiffs. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!