Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Random Hodgepodge-ery!



So, Joyce asks ... and we respond.  How easy is thaaaat?!
Won't you join the party?




February 17 is National Random Acts of Kindness Day.  It lands on the calendar one day after National Do Something for a Grouch Day (February 16) which somehow feels related.  Perhaps the 16th inspired the 17th?

Tell me about a time you performed a random act of kindness or were the recipient of one. Will you make an effort to perform a random act of kindness on the 17th?  Share details if you're so inclined, and if you have something specific in mind.

Does accidentally over-tipping count?
(No, I didn't think so.)

Personally, I like discovering reasons to extend an unexpected, sincere compliment.

While I love the idea -- and I hope it gains momentum -- I don't plan to do anything special one day out of 365 366.



What's the most uplifting or encouraging thing you see happening in the world right now?  You may have to dig deep for this one.

I don't have to dig any deeper than my computer monitor!
Y'all have set the bar pretty high with your positivity, your empathy and encouragement.

(Bet-cha thought I was going to say something about Making America Great Again, didn't you?  Ha!)




Black olives, black currants, black grapes, black beans, blackberries, Oreos ... your favorite food the color of night?  Your least favorite on the list?

Yea for black olives! 
I used to filch them right out of the can when my parents' backs were turned!

Black grapes?  
No thanks ... I'll wait until they grow up and become Cabernet.



A while back I read a list of twelve things you should do before you turn 50:
Travel when you have the chance, take care of your skin, learn a foreign language, make exercise a habit, leave a toxic situation, stop caring what others think about you, stop worrying, volunteer, spend time with your grandparents, pledge to work less, learn to cook an amazing dish, and seize an opportunity as it arrives.

What do you think of the list?  What would you add or remove, and why?  If you're not yet 50, have you done any at all?

Who makes up these lists anyway? :)

Overall, I think most of his/her suggestions are sound ... but I've issues with a couple:

Worrying doesn't solve anything.  I agree.  BUT, I don't believe it's something you can turn on/off like a kitchen faucet.

Stop caring what others think about you?
Call me old fashioned, but I think there's lots of folks who could benefit from seeing themselves through the eyes of others.  You don't get a second chance to make a good first impression.


If you're over 50, have you done all 12?


Obviously, it's too late to begin taking better care of my skin.  Still, there's a couple items on this list I enjoyed ... with abandon.



What's on the list that you haven't done, but would like to do?

I'm doing my darnedest to work less!



Besides the classic Christmas flicks, what's your favorite film where winter plays a part in the setting?


The Other Side of the Mountain
... talk about a terrific story of overcoming!



When did you last feel helpless, and what did you do about it?

Unless you're a drama queen, is there any worse feeling in the world?

When DH first grew ill, I didn't know which way to turn.
There was little TO do, but pray.



Share a favorite proverb.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Proverbs 3.5




Insert your own random thought here.



See this innocent face?

Imagine for a moment ...
 It's 4:15. Except for my early-morning get-ready routine, our home is eerily silent.

Then I hear, "Click.  Click."
Run down the hall to the kitchen.  Nada.

"Click, click"
...comes from the bedroom, where hubby lays sound asleep.

There's sweet little Grace nestled against DH's feet, happily gnawing on a bone.

Except, when I went to take it away, I felt an unusual texture ... and I discovered I was holding his bottom plate!

Later, he asks, "Where did you find my dentures?"
Me: "Do you really want to know?"

All I can say is, thank God she's not a German Shepherd!



25 comments:

  1. I'm sorry! I laughed about the dentures. My sister-in-law has had her dentures chewed up twice by her 'sweet' little dog! I am right there with you about worry. If I could turn it off you can bet your sweet a..ankles (LOL) I would. I hate worrying. And caring what others think. I think we should care!! Have a wonderful day my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be sorry ... I practically piddled myself laughing.

      For the record, I take it as a compliment if someone says they were worried about me. (Don't get that so much anymore since mamma passed.)

      Delete
  2. Leap year! I agree, Cabernet was a fun answer. That is so funny about the dentures!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie! We're lucky Grace didn't do any real damage.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for making me laugh today. The denture story was so funny. Yes grapes should be in wine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome, Wendy ... that's what friends do, right? :)



      Delete
  4. Doggy story is hilarious! I think we can keep a little of caring what others think of us. Makes us accountable somehow. And the Cabernet...very cute, dear lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't consider myself particularly funny ... but gosh, I appreciate your props! Have a beautiful day, sweet lady.

      Delete
  5. Okay, I enjoyed it all. Love your answers. Seems like the winner is the Cabernet, but the fun part was OF COURSE the dentures!!!
    This is a fun read as always.
    I agree about the 'random acts' they should be RANDOM and aS often as your inner self says, "DO IT".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jack!
      Tom's slippers were actually the first 'almost-casualty' ... then the plate. Tom had better start minding his p's and q's!

      Delete
  6. LOL with the dentures :) Too funny! Such an innocent face she has too! I too like black olives and can be known to eat half a can myself :)

    I totally agree about worrying; it is something I can't turn on and off like a faucet; mine seems to be a slow drip that can sometimes continue to grow.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I was saying to Paula, worrying shows you care!

      Ya, Grace is the smallest and most innocent looking of her litter-mate -- but we've learned not to underestimate that sweet face!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, Denise! We don't get out much, so I had reach waaaaay back to '75!

      Delete
  8. Wow, where to begin? Let's forget Random Acts of Kindness Day. I can definitely identify with Grouch Day.

    The most uplifting thing happening in the world now? Obama can't have a third term!!!!

    I love everything on the black list except black beans. And Obama (hey, I just couldn't resist - humor is part of my charm).

    Things you should do before turning 50:
    probably make a will.

    Winter movie? "Ethan Frome" (1993) with Liam Neeson.

    Helpless? I feel helpless over things of which I have no control - like death, disasters, etc.

    Love the denture story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, I'm in stitches over here. 'Wish I'd thought of a couple of these!!!

      You're right, of course, about making a will. I've no good reason for not having done so ... maybe I feel that's inviting fate?

      Delete
    2. I feel exactly as you do about wills - so far haven't made one.

      Glad I had you in stitches.
      If I ever mentioned Obama on my blog, all of my readers would abandon me.

      Delete
    3. ... either that or the Secret Service would show up on your doorstep for a little chat! I'm no fan of political correctness ... and I hate having to censor what I say on social media.

      Delete
  9. I've been over 50 for quite a long while now but I do think it's good to have goals to work toward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Ma. Thanks for helping us remember what's worth focusing on!

      Delete
  10. Finally someone who shares my love of black olives! Your #8 : ) There's something about teeth that appeals to dogs. I wore Invisilgn for a brief time, and the dentist warned me not to leave the retainers where my dog could reach them. He said someone's in once a week with a mangled retainer that their dog chewed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyce! I'd no idea these 'things' were so irresistible to the canine palate!

      Delete
  11. I love the click click
    story, and hear it a lot in our house but so far it was not my hubby's plate. thanks for the chuckles and for stopping by my post yesterday.

    I loved The other side of the mountain and the part 2 and cried in both of them right in the theater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never saw Part II! I don't know where you grew up if movie theaters had 'cry rooms' for those with infants ... but wouldn't it be a grand idea to do that for those of us sentimentalists? When we saw American Sniper, practically the whole theater emptied before I finished composing myself. :)

      Delete
  12. Oh no about the dog and her bone! Naughty naughty! Oh my goodness! The things these ets think of to do! Your blog is filled with so much i want to keep reading. Thanks for sharing your wonderful ability to write these posts. You are terrific!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!