Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Hodgepodge Wednesday


Hello Friends ... how are y'all?

I'm thinking it's time I quit lurking in the shadows and join in the fun at Wednesday's hodgepodge!
Thanks for these great queries, Joyce!

* * *

Create an acrostic using the word LOVE:

Looking back, across culverts ... chasms, too;
Oceans - both real and immortal - 
vie for remembrance.
Evermore. 



Does love really conquer all?  Why or why not?

No, I don't think so.
If that were the case, hearts wouldn't break -- and life-limiting diseases wouldn't stand a snowball's chance!



Tell us about a time recently where you really put your heart into something.

This is a tough one!  
I've become awfully stingy with my heartstrings.

The last time I set my heart on something was almost 3 years ago when I quit my 40+ year cigarette addiction.



What's your favorite love story?

Bridges of Madison County



Do you generally wear your heart on your sleeve, or keep your cards close to the vest?

My heart sits right there on my sleeve.
Unfortunately, I've always been overly sensitive.



What food says love to you?  Why?

What I wouldn't give for a slice of mother's egg custard pie!
She was never fond of sweets, but took real pleasure in making my father's favorite deserts.



When were you last 'tickled pink' over something?  Explain.

Just last Saturday, Mr. Sweet had my hair looking all shiny and  bouncy ... something I can't recall ever happening!
I seriously wanted to sleep with my head suspended out over the edge of the mattress!  



Insert your own random thought here.

Have I told y'all?  Dr. Choi's practically patting himself on the back over the results of Tom's last scan.  I won't pretend to understand its verbiage, but the lab's report said the remaining spots are "too small to categorize."  Yea!!!

Unfortunately, those of you who follow Joey and Rory know, theirs is a much graver situation.   
I was late discovering their story, but Rory's blog  humbles me like nothing has in a very long time.  Maybe you, too, might take something from one man's lifeIlive




Be well, be happy ...OK?
Hugs from an 86-degree day in the desert!

Myra









29 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Hodgepodge! So nice to 'meet' you here. I completely relate to a great hair cut/color/style and the urge not to mess it up sleeping : ) Congrats on quitting smoking! Thanks for joining the party here today. Hope to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Joyce ... I look forward to coming back!

      Delete
  2. Loved your acrostic.... as well as the other answers. Egg custard pie - - yes!!
    Bridges of Madison County - - I loved the movie, but not the novel....

    40 plus years of smoking??? Thank God you can still breathe. For some strange reason, all of the nicotine addicts that I know are women. Perhaps the men drove them to it??? (it's just a thought).

    Wonderful news about Tom's scan.

    I checked out Rory's blog. Humbling, indeed. And their videos are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW - ....and here I thought my mother was the only woman who didn't want to sleep because it would mess up her hair....

      Delete
    2. LOL ... I'd like to blame my nicotine addiction on menfolk! It was incredibly easy to rid myself of the physical cravings, but I still miss the psychological(?) crutch.

      I was delighted to know that you loved "Bridges." (No, I never read the book either.) When Francesca ALMOST opened the truck's door? Every time, my heart shatters anew.

      Delete
  3. Yea with the good results on Tom's scan!!! That is sad with Joey and Rory, been following them for a bit.

    Love the acrostic you did with the word Love.

    Me too with my heart on my sleeve; people can read me like a book :)

    I'm jealous, I want the 86 degree heat!!! (soon)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty!
      Neat to know I'm in good company -- wearing our hearts on our sleeves. (Except we'd suck at playing poker!)

      Yes, 86-going on 115 before we know it!

      Delete
  4. AS always, I wish I could answer questions as well as you.
    I could cut and paste your statement on egg custard. It was my dad's favorite and mama seemed to love baking them. I thought it was the best 'sweet' mama made as I grew up. (Funny that!)

    An amen to Tom's report. Good stuff.
    Thanks for the entertainment, Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you're always so sweet ... thank you, Jack!

      I wonder if Ma knows if there isn't an "Egg Custard Pie" day, and we all try our hand!?

      Delete
  5. Oh I am so excited that you joined the Hodgepodge!! It is so much fun and so revealing to all of us, your readers!! You quit smoking just last year!! Congrats on that my friend. It is still one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life. My 16th anniversary was just this last November. I still think about lighting up!! Thrilled to hear Tom's report. I am off to check out a new blog...and feel a tug at my heartstrings, I'm sure!! Love you to pieces my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 16 years? WOW! :)))
      Actually, I'm pushing almost 3; and like you, I still think about 'just one more.' Only yesterday we learned one of Tom's good friends -- 'clean liver' who's never smoked or drank to excess ... exercises regularly, etc. -- was diagnosed with bladder, kidney and colon cancer. Makes me wonder, sometimes.

      Delete
    2. I know! Sometimes I wonder if we should just do what we want and accept the consequences. I loved smoking!! But, ew, that smell!!

      Delete
  6. Such fantastic news about tom!

    I've been a fan or Joey and Rory's for a long time. Their music is fantastic and they are genuinely nice people. My heart breaks for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim!
      Have you actually met them?

      Delete
  7. Wonderful answers to these wonderful questions! Hahaha...I can just imagine you lying over the edge of your bed to keep your hairdo. How funny. Love to you and Tom! So happy to hear his good report!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really think about anyone visualizing that stunt ... just my luck I'd stretch and fall off the bed, smack onto my head!
      Love ya back!

      Delete
  8. Great answers to those questions...a hodgepodge for sure! My dad loved custard pie too...I really need to make one ! So wonderful to hear the good news of the tests. There is much to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder, is there an official Egg Custard Pie Day? I've never actually tried making one. Yet! :)

      Delete
  9. Nice to meet you, enjoyed your post. I guess your hubby has had some health issues so good to hear good news and well done on quitting the smoking. I managed it a long time ago but I was never a heavy smoker and hadn't done it for long so I'm sure your battle was much much harder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Wendy! Ya, my hubby was diagnosed with Stage 3 lung cancer back in May of 2013. His recovery - tho the doctors won't call it that yet -is astonishing.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. ... and to you and Stan, as well! Huggers to your Cupcake!

      Delete
  11. Glad you joined in! I have been stingy with my heartstrings too. I use to be more generous. Way to go on quitting your addiction to cigarettes. Great choice on a love story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for saying that, Debby! I hope my silly schedule will 'allow' me to play again and again.

      Delete
  12. Greetings!! Thanks for visiting my Hodgepodge! I think you are right that we have a good bit in common. I will visit you again, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to getting to know you, Terri! Happy Valentine's Day!

      Delete
  13. Thank God for clean scans! DO you know Diana (Nana Diana Takes A Break blog).? Her hubbby John was just told he is currently cancer free. Their journey was a difficult one too and they are grateful it is behind them. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!