Sunday, January 24, 2016

Still standing!


Holy cow, m'friends!   
Optimistic?  

For a while there, I was sure I'd bit off more than I could handle.
Cranky co-workers, improbable deadlines ... even the executive who began Thursday morning, "Everyone had better stay the 'f' away from me!" ... have done their best to spoil my resolve.

But! I'm focused on discovering the absurd, and in so doing, making my brain laugh.  What's that Anne Lamott says?  "Laughter is carbonated holiness." 

I'm also training my psyche for 2017's Best Actress.  
This may not the best advice I've ever been given - but it's one that's stuck ... some 26 years now:
"This is Hollywood. You must act 'as if.'" 

* * *

Believe me when I say, there's been nothing to write home about.
Since experts counsel, 'write what you know', I'm reduced to yakking about our neighborhood Grocer.

Since DH does most of the shopping, I'm apt to think of our occasional shared excursions as novelties --  where I'm invariably drawn to shiny 'New! and Improved!' product.   Poor guy has to keep his eye on the contents of our cart.

At the same time, I'm a bit saddened to see old staples gone by the way.   
My mind knows it's been almost 50 years -- but entering the snacks section, my eyes instinctively scan the shelves for a favorite unleavened cracker, not unlike that served at Holy Communion --only the size and shape of a Saltine.  I swear they were called "Waldorf." ... maybe not.

Does anyone else recall sticking their head down deep in the frozen food troughs and inhaling that curiously-pleasant aroma of refrigerated gasses?  
(I suppose someone decided that was bad for us, as well.)


Curiosities?  You betcha!
I'm pretty sure this brand isn't actually pronounced the way it appears ... 
but I prefer my drinks NON-fuzzy, thank you!


Can anyone explain why SMALL-curd is coveted more so (50-cents worth!) than it's pleasantly plump counterparts?


I failed to snap a photo, but their assortment of tea is astonishing.

Many bloggers say they enjoy a nightly cup of tea.
I've probably not been doing it right -- but on the few and far between times I've brewed (steeped?) a cup, it's just been, 'meh.'
Would you mind sharing your favorites ... and why?

(Now, I'm not fond of anything with a fruit flavor.  Like my coffee, my wine, I'd like that beverage big and bold.)
All suggestions are certainly appreciated!
 and I'm happy to share my impressions.

* * *

Before closing, I wanted to share the link below from yesterday's blizzard.  I think this is a great example of "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!" 

One Pennsylvania turnpike traveler broke out his trumpet and played "Let It Snow" to his fellow stranded motorists!



Hugs from Phoenix ... take good care of yourselves!

Myra




24 comments:

  1. I am thinking the difference in the price of the cottage cheese is the demand for the one that was discounted less? I too don't like when products are discontinued or favorites taken off menus. Good for you for trying to be optimistic in even the toughest of circumstances. You will be proud of yourself accepting that acting award next year, I think a lot of us do similar things.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so good for me, Betty! These times I feel like throwing in the towel, you're right there to 'shore up' my resolve!

      Delete
  2. I like the "YOU can do it attitude. Optimism is NOT overrated. ;-)

    TEa? I have been given boxes of exotic teas by a cousin in LV. Some for sleep, some for stress, etc. I 'brew' some at times but have never witnessed the 'results' advertised.
    However I do buy the reg, cheap, store brand and do brew a cuppa green tea about once a month.
    note: The only use for a tea bag that was really productive was when I had a bad tooth ache and held a tea bag next to it like a dip of snuff. It seemed to work. (Old wives tales sometimes work)

    Best of luck to you young lady, even if you do have to put on your acting pants.

    Love from cool Florida 44 now, but sunshine tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not 'up' on many old wives' tales, but neither do I discount them!

      Thanks for the 'atta-girl'!

      Delete
  3. For a gal who didnt have much to say, you gave me much to think on! Laughter is carbonated holiness - that is clever. And you knew it wasn't going to be easy to take on optimism; if it was easy it would be all our 2016 Word. You were suppose to pick one-word, not a whole character change. Just kidding, if anyone can pull it off this year, you can. My Tom loves to shop too. Isn't that great for us?
    Have a great week! Luv ya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, but I had to laugh out loud at your mention of a whole character change! I hadn't thought of it that way, but you're spot on. One day at a time!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love a cup of tea before bed. My favorite is Mellow Moments by Stash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your sense of humor - it's the special kind that I can fully relate to.

    "Discovering the absurd and, in doing so, making my brain laugh." Absurdity is (alas) about the only thing we have left to laugh at.....Fortunately, there's plenty of it.

    As much as I hate shopping for groceries, I do vaguely recall pleasure derived from inhaling frozen food trough gases. The Freezer Police must have discovered our addiction.....and promptly put an end to it.
    I've never seen much difference in small cured cottage cheese over large cured - except the price.

    As for tea - I'm addicted and should really do a blog post about it. I like strong tea, with milk and sugar. Honey is okay but sugar is better. And canned milk enhances the flavor.

    I always liked Darjeeling tea, but it's unheard of here in the Tennessee wilds. I have to settle for English Breakfast Tea, or Irish Breakfast Tea (Twinings brand).

    NO HERBAL TEA!!!!!! IT'S CRAP!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comments always make me smile, Jon!
      Thanks for these recommendations. Even tho' I drink my coffee black, the thought of 'enhancing' my tea with a splash of milk had occurred to me. PET and Darjeeling are going on my list.

      Delete
  6. With a week like you had it's good you can keep your good humor. It certainly helps ! Constant Comment is my favorite evening cup of tea. It's got a bit of orange taste and spices to it so you probably wouldn't like it. These days a touch of citrus helps me take the dryness of winter away. Hope this week is a better one for you. Happy Monday !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh; You're right about the orange flavor. But(!), I suspect DH would really enjoy that one.
      I certainly appreciate your wishes ... today was pleasant!

      Delete
  7. We happen to like large curb cottage cheese. I like the video you shared. Constant Comment has always been my favorite although I don't drink coffee or tea very often. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! (Large curd, that is.)
      Someone else mentioned Constant Comment, hmmm. Recommendations are so much nicer than advertisements, aren't they?

      Delete
  8. You always give me a laugh! I find it hard to be optimistic too. I would put on my acting pants and try out for the award but right now the Oscars are just pissing me off. I probably wouldn't win because I am white! That seems to be offensive now days! Loved your excursion through the grocery store. I'll have to remember that for a future post. There are some funny things on the shelves here! I am NOT a tea drinker. It is bleh to me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to read your take on Hutchinson's grocery selections, Paula!

      'Glad to know I'm not the only 'pissed off' now-former Oscar watcher!

      Delete
    2. I'm pissed off that the academy gave into their demands.

      Delete
  9. I'm a tea addict - hot or iced, it doesn't matter. My favorite is to make a large pot with one teabag of regular Liptons tea and one teabag of Twinings Lady Grey. Simple but so good. I drink it plain. Enjoy your week. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never considered mixing it up to suit your own taste. Thanks for the good idea!

      Delete
  10. There are so many different kinds of tea I love. I love Darjeeling and Earl Fray and Lady Gray but also some with fruit like brambleberry and blueberry. I do love tea and enjoy Sleepy Time at bedtime too. You share delightful tales here. Thanks you and enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for these recommendations, Anne! This makes me wish there was a nearby tea tasting bar...

      Delete
    2. Come visit me I have tea coming out of my ears. The hubby shakes his head when I buy more. xo

      Delete
  11. I love hot tea and I drink it a lot in the winter throughout the day. Because of health articles I've read, I tend to buy green tea a lot and occasionally oolong tea which is a combination of green and black tea. If you try it, I recommend that you use honey and not sugar. To me, tea and honey are perfect together... like peanut butter and jelly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dee. Actually, honey sounds tastier than sugar ... I won't know until I try!

      Delete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!