Sunday, January 3, 2016

Out With the Old ...



... and a new attitude!

Happy New Year, friends ... it's good to see you! :)

Our holidays?  
In a nutshell, the days were pleasantly unremarkable  ... void of any artificial camaraderie and expectations.  (That can feel so burdensome, don't you think?)
Like it or not ... here we are on the other side of the calendar.

Say, am I the only one who feels a bit sorry for Olde Father Time each New Years Eve?
Even as a kid, I hated him being given the bum-rush in favor of that sniveling Johnny come-lately.


And speaking of Johnny-come-lately, I've some issues with a certain popular commercial spot!

   If looks could kill, Peter Pan would be toast ... am I right? 
I don't know how many insurance policies they are writing, but based on (Facebook) chatter, most folks agree, he's an annoying little ****!


OK, I'm stepping off my soapbox now!



What?  What's that I opened with? ... a new Attitude?

Since discovering OneWord365.com last year, choosing a single word on which to focus certainly helped keep me centered.

2016's finalists?

Unfortunately, "Move!" didn't hang around very long.  As much as I admire those who incorporate some form of physical fitness in their daily routines, I really (really) loathe exercise.

"Relax" warranted further consideration ... but
down deep I've always felt afraid to succumb, for fear of being sucker-punched when I'm not looking.



It's settled then.
My word for 2016 is "Optimistic."

Those who know me well are probably snickering or shaking their heads.  I don't believe I've been a pessimist, necessarily ... rather, a realist.

Mistakenly, all these years I probably considered optimists akin to those who speak in culicues ... who don't know the time of day. 
That was unnecessarily harsh.

No, I think optimism is a choice.   
When faced in the early morning hours with what-if's, worries and regrets, I'm going to do my darn level best to focus on what might be celebrated.

I'm hoping you will help keep me on the right path ... and give me a (virtual) whack up the side of my head if you catch me slipping. 
Won't you? 


Thanks!  I knew I could count on y'all!

Hugs from Phoenix ... let's make 2016 count!
Myra





  
 



   

23 comments:

  1. Your writing is hilarious! I smiled again and again as I read this post. And yes, that little Peter Pan in the commercial is an obnoxious lad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dame! (Do you prefer Dame, or Penni, perchance?)
      Your comments never fail to cheer me.

      Delete
  2. This post is exactly why I love you!! Yes, we agree on most everything. I want to whack that little Peter Pan myself. Every time that commercial is on I tell the kids he needs to be kicked in the a**! Being optimistic is hard for me too. I have spent my whole life being a pessimist. Always had the cup half empty. Richard kept me focused! I couldn't agree more with your Charlie Brown cartoon. Hang in there lady. We will get through this together!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we will! I'm smiling and envisioning we two, arm-in-arm, strolling (with purpose!) and whistling happy tune. You know the one? "Whenever I feel afraid, I hold myself erect, and whistle a happy tune ... so no-one will suspect, I'm a-fraid."

      Delete
  3. Some of Geico's commercials are cute, but others, like this one with Peter are downright annoying indeed. They are not my favorite insurance company (though I was insured with them for YEARS, but no longer, LOL). They denied a claim I thought they should have paid and then something else happened that made me take my business elsewhere, but again, like I said some of their advertising is cute :)

    I love your word for the year. It is a good one that might take a bit of stretching on your part, right? And God does like to stretch us and mold us, doesn't he? I'm going to blog later tonight my word for the year :)

    Got the kids in their house now round two which we are having a heck of a time trying to find. I almost compromised on one this weekend, but it just didn't feel right; glad hubby saw that too :) Meanwhile, I'm getting awfully familiar with highway 17 :)

    Happy New Year dear friend! It will be a very good one and definitely one I hope to spend more time with you and Tom in :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there's something to look forward to ... spending more time with you and Jim, that is.!
      Ya, I've a tall order before me. I like what you've said about God stretching me. Complacency isn't very becoming, is it?

      Delete
  4. The older I get (not that I'm old, mind you) the more I feel sorry for Father Time and the more I resent the little crap pot who takes his place.

    Optimistic??
    It's a nice word but it's never been in my vocabulary. Optimists are in the fantasyland catagory of rainbows, world peace, and everybody love one another.

    I've always been a pessimist, which coincides with being a realist. I can fully relate to the Charlie Brown cartoon, which you aptly posted above.

    Perhaps, on a very good day, I could consider cautious optimism......

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (I just noticed my book on the sidebar, and I'm blushing....)

      Delete
    2. Hee-hee! Did you forget about the fairy dust and unicorns?
      Seriously, it's sobering how we sometimes think alike.

      I've a challenge, to be sure. Cautious optimism is surely more apt.

      Delete
  5. Optimistic is a wonderful word. To look at the world on the bright side is a great way to live !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ma. You're a great inspiration!

      Delete
  6. Awwwww, I am scrolling down enjoying your wit as usual and there is my book on the side board. I did smile, Thanks.
    All I gotta say is keep it up, this is the place were I must think. I am convinced we are kin though, the Father Time thing proves it.
    Anyway yep I am glad we do not attend places where I feel a little awkward, being attentive to say the 'right' things.

    Speaking of which we visited Son Mark at Port Richey. He took us to eat at TArpon Springs. I am not a Greek Food person but ordered a variety plate to share as, as a starter. Son says to the nice Waiter, "This must be an acquired taste food!" .
    I will admit the octopus was BAD!
    "Son, why not tell the guy you don't like the food(thought I)!"
    Anyway I hope the New Year brings all you need and your health and Tom's, SHINE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I like when something I've 'said' makes you smile.

      In spite of making Tarpon Spgs. my home for several years, I never acquired a taste for (most) of their food; octopus is just nasty!

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year, Myra, and all the best in 2016. Let optimism ring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dayle!
      I believe, yes, it is going to be a good year!

      Delete
  8. A beautiful word, Myra. You have chosen wisely and I have found that when that special Word goes down deep into my spirit, God sees my heart and takes it very seriously. I'm raising my cup of coffee and cheering you on, special friend, "Here's to optimism, may it become realty every day from now on!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great way to picture this credo manifesting itself (through Spirit). Thank you, Mary!

      Delete
  9. Great word! It's good to have optimism. Wishing you success.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debby ... I'm going to need all the good wishes I can get! :)

      Delete
  10. Happy New Year! Optimism... now, that's a great word for the new year.

    Yes, I agree that Peter Pan is very annoying in that commercial, but every time I see the expression on that woman's face, I can't help but laugh... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great word for the New Year! I am hearing someone in california won that Powerball Lotto. Ah...alas...not us! Hee Hee! Oh I'd like to beat that Peter Pan or slap him silly. He lacks M A N N E R S !!!!! Argh.......Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I can call myself Buttercup, you can be an optimist. I've found the more upbeat I am -- despite everything going on in the world -- the more light I let into the world. Took a lot of years to figure that out. Take good care!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too am optimistic. This year has been a good one so far...well, except for losing some music icons. But I've gotten a good bit accomplished and I'm excited about 2016.
    Hope you're doing well.
    And thank you for the plug on my book. I'm having my 4th one being edited right now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!