Saturday, November 14, 2015

My Week at a Glance



This isn't the post I had in mind.  In fact, my mind's all over the place.   Like so many others, I'm stunned and saddened by events in Paris ... asking questions whose answers don't exist. 

So, in an attempt to step away from the epicenter here's an inconsequential glance at my week.  (Key being, 'inconsequential' ... you've been warned.)

* * *

I discovered, an ordinary weekday can hold extraordinary blessings -- if I quit trying to CONTROL my own universe.   I don't much enjoy shopping-for-shopping's sake ... but the sad state of my closet mandated new dress slacks.   

'Twas a good thing DH elected to stay home ... for not half-way into the city I'd had ENOUGH of travelling 70+ mph and being passed by everything except a kid on a skateboard.   Exiting the 101, I remembered a boulevard whose circuitous route eventually turns to my destination.   
... and arrived feeling refreshed and oddly relaxed.

My fav consignment shop came through for me again!  Discovering the 'perfect' pair of slacks which actually sit at my natural waistline instead of those awful abdominal low-riders  ..... why, I was practically euphoric.  (By the way, whatever happened to those longer tops that fastened at the crotch?)

Then, I had to go and burst my own bubble.
See, I've not owned a pair of jeans since 2008(?), but this year's diet plan made me think I could find something not totally unbecoming. Lawdy, I must have tried on -- and turned down -- 20+ pair!  Not only did I discover 'normal' clothing sizes do not apply to denim, (but) odd sizes are not my friend.   (Oh sure.  If I were to take up exercise again, I might narrow the 11" difference between my waist and my hips.   On the other hand, I could buy a pair of suspenders and fully enjoy that porterhouse.  65 years avoiding unnecessary calisthenics should count for something, shouldn't it?)   

What else?   

Well, Wednesday eve we discovered our 5-mo. old Carrier air conditioner (Yes, I'm naming names, darn it!) wouldn't shut off.  
.... then the next morning all 7 of our smoke detectors began screaming in unison, traumatizing DH and the dogs alike.  Turns out whoever wired the house 11 years ago -- thank you (not!!!), Richmond American Homes -- mislabeled the fuse box.   When DH informed the incredulous 911 operator that no, we did NOT have the heat turned on, that yes, he'd already shut off the key marked "smoke detector" but they were all still screeching, I don't think she believed him. Turns out, one innocuously marked "General" was the culprit.

It was heartwarming to have some pretty incredible friends at my workplace.   Being party to my hand-wringing and lamentations, co-worker Brian informed me he was following me home with an 8-foot ladder and ("it's not negotiable, so shut up already") installed all new detectors.   Blessed, I tell ya!

Reality check?  I like to think I'm a pretty independent, common-sense sort of gal ... then realized if it were me home alone, I had no idea where to find the fuse box; that it would be preferable to load the dogs into my car and drive to the nearest fire station. Or a wine bar.  (Ignorance is not bliss.)


* * *

Well, I was really (really) hoping to attend my first-ever NASCAR race tomorrow, but a family birthday trumped my druthers.   
Still, it's kinda neat watching the Goodyear blimp floating in lazy circles practically over our back yard ... to watch the incredible footage on television and realize that yes, the desert southwest is awfully pretty this time of year.   


If you've a chance to tune in tomorrow I'll be standing a few miles northwest of that near hill and waving. :)  


Prayers for Paris ... hugs from Phoenix,Myra









    

28 comments:

  1. Your post brought so many smiles to me! I love this one: "On the other hand, I could buy a pair of suspenders and fully enjoy that porterhouse." Wow, how could you guys stand that screeching? Yes, an ordinary week can bring some funny moments and you wrote about them in style, my friend. I, too, am praying for Paris. The world is desperate for some light now; let us refuse to be afraid!

    Love ya!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky, I was at work when the screeching started! In retrospect, I feel so bad for Tom ... I didn't fully understand the situation, or empathize fully when he phoned me at my desk and I replied, "What do you want ME to do about it?" (... hanging my head.)

      Delete
  2. Prayers for Paris, and hugs from New York. Grateful for the wonderful women I've met through blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and I'm so very grateful for your friendship!

      Delete
  3. THANKS FOR THE SMILES (good natured of course. something is wrong with my blogger. None of my comments are taking this is my second run and you bet Imma copy this sucker.
    Probably would have been just as well to close the door and load the dogs and head for a wine bar!
    Not funny the mislabeled power panel. WHO CHECKS THOSE OUT UNTIL THEY HAVE A PROBLEM?
    Today's homes have at least twice the breakers of 30 yrs AGO ALSO.
    Anyway I needed the smiles here in Shinglesville!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I showed your comment to Tom and he nodded, while challenging me: "Name something in this house that isn't dependent on electricity."
      Hope you're feeling better this morning, m'friend!

      Delete
  4. LOL - you always crack me up.

    You also made me smile when you said "slacks." I haven't heard that word in a long time. Probably because all I ever wear is jeans and "dress" anything is seldom in my volcabulary. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my weekday wardrobe leans more to the 'dress' side of the spectrum than not. After what, 40+ years in an office, I feel more at home dressing that way than not.

      Delete
  5. You are "thin" as a rail; I can't imagine not being able to find jeans that worked, but then you are also tall, so that could be a hindrance. Your tale of mislabeling the fuse box by the construction people had me laugh just a bit. House we just sold in San Diego, the contractor who did some work for hubby's parents sometimes didn't know what he was doing or did things backwards. He mislabeled the shower hot/cold knobs in the shower, I always had to remember to reverse what was there to get the right water. I'm not even sure if we have a fuse box here :)

    It is such a sad world we live in; I fear what we saw yesterday in Paris could be a new norm for the world. Makes one seriously consider spending more time in prayer, but definitely prayers now for those that need to be comforted, those that need to be healed, and those that are investigating so they can put all the pieces together.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet, Betty. I'm still 20 lbs. heaver than when I arrived in Arizona ... then again, I'm no longer substituting nicotine and caffeine for calories.
      Your plumbing story makes me smile ..... did you tell the new owners? :)))

      Delete
  6. I can really identify with driving 70+mph and being passed by everybody.......and if you go 80 or 85 it's the same damn thing.

    I don't know anything about consignment shops (my mother sure did) - - but I know that I keep foolishly trying to squeeze into OLD jeans with a 32 waist - - when my waist is now 33 or probably 34.

    November is a lovely month just about everywhere, especially the SW desert.
    I haven't seen the Goodyear blimp since I lived in California. It was always hovering overhead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck Jon, a 33-34" waist is pretty enviable for anyone over the age of 25! Ya, I'm a huge fan of consignment. Given the right sort of shop, one can find 'better' quality garments for the same price (or less) than what today's department stores are peddling as new.

      Delete
  7. Praying for Paris too and sending hugs from Ohio! Ordinary days are wonderful !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovin' those hugs, Ma! Hope you're enjoying a great Sunday!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for giving me a reason to smile today. I hate shopping for anything, but most especially for jeans. Not only am I 'fat' but I am also tall so that puts anything out of my league. And anything that sits below my belly button is OUT. I am a mom jeans kind of gal. Whew! What a pain with the smoke alarms. I am telling you, girl, you had better start learning about those things that our men take care of. Or you'll be in the same boat I was in when Richard had a stroke. I labeled the fuse box myself recently!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course, you're right. I've been in denial for a number of years now.
    Calling all jeans manufacturers ... hey!, there's lots of us who'd LOVE to buy your stuff if only you'd quit designing for the Olson twins and their kind!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry you have to miss that race. Wow, you have certainly encountered some unpleasantness this week! Glad you got help with those smoke alarms. Jeans....I'm a fan but I still use the elastic waist ones. They work best for me. Glad that you did find a pair of work pants. Hope next week runs smoothly for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debby! Actually, I don't feel so bad about missing the race now that it's raining.
      I'm going to look for those elastic-waist jeans! Come to think of it, didn't they used to call them 'boxers'?

      Delete
  11. How nice to have friends at work, the kind who will follow you home with an 8-foot ladder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm pretty blessed to have folks who step up without being asked ... especially when they live 30+ miles in the other direction! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. A good belly laugh is what one needs after the events of Friday. Life is sad enough so we find ways to make others smile. I am with you on the jeans and other pants. Who think we all need to wear our pants below our belly buttons? The same one I imagine who invented the thong! As for those screeching smoke detectors, Lord have mercy. I am quite familiar with the fuse box because apparently most of these home builders and.or repair people flunked electricity 101 or perhaps joined Benjamin Franklin when when he first attempted to fly his kite and maybe their brain was fried in the process! Anyway, we have had screeching smoke detectors too! But my personal favorite is the furnace shutting off when it is 30 degrees outside and the rain and or snow is piling up outside the door! I love the heating repair places trying to school me in the high cost of these repairs! Which I replied, lady this furnace isn't five years old and somebody better be responsible for it because I don't have a job! We didn't use that scammer either! The crook already took us for the Lenox a/c that is too small for this house and the furnace with the random shut off button. Surely she must have thought I was going to fall for their baloney a second time.
    As for your co worker, those are the true friends to have around when you need an extra hand.
    We are waiting for the snow to fall. Not my favorite but praying for a blizzard so the hubby is snowed in here with me too.'
    Stay safe and take care. You always make my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Anne, you never fail to cheer me up with your stories and your moxie! Nobody better try and pull the wool over your eyes, huh?

      Delete
  13. I had to relabel my fuse box a while back too. It didn't seem to be that difficult to label it correctly:)
    And by the way, I'm experiencing the same comment posting delay that you mentioned on Jacks blog. Not sure what's happening with that. Surely Google hasn't mislabeled the post button :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had to relabel my fuse box a while back too. It didn't seem to be that difficult to label it correctly:)
    And by the way, I'm experiencing the same comment posting delay that you mentioned on Jacks blog. Not sure what's happening with that. Surely Google hasn't mislabeled the post button :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the empathy, Rick. :)
      'Wishing you and Jilda a splendid Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  15. I saw your comment at my blog so here i am again! I am thinking of doing Scentsy so if you or anyone you know needs to order anything send it my way. A dear friend already told me she is crazy for Scentsy so I am happy I have an order to start. Done a lot of direct selling in my day so even for the holidays I may try it out. ANother friend said her dear friend sells it and she is already addicted! Uh-oh! I don't want to cause a divorce or worse yet long term psycho therapy for spending on pretty things that smell good! Hee Hee. Have a greta week and take care. Stay in touch. Hugs to you and Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you had a remarkable day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you had a remarkable day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!