Sunday, October 4, 2015

A Helping of Randomness




Oops, I did it again.
Hubby (helping unpack my recent bounty from Super Target):  "Don't we already have a brand-new jar of ______?"



Me:  "Well, yes.  But I went to count the number of items in the cart, and there were 6.  So I had to grab something else."

Knowing there's little likelihood I'll be changing my spots anytime soon, he probably figured rolling his eyes wasn't worth the effort.

Really, I've never considered myself superstitious.
Except for the number 6.  Particularly in thrice.  
(... See, I can't bring myself to even type it here!)

Once I threw away a $2-off coupon because it's identifying redemption code began with a triple-six.  
Only the other day I noted someone at my workplace drives an (otherwise innocuous) sedan whose license tag bears three 6's.    I've considering lingering, to see to whom it might belong.
Then again, what would that accomplish?  It's not like I'm going to jump out and examine their scalp for miniature horns.  
Maybe.

Seriously, I wonder if some folks don't 'get' the significance.  Or probably, they don't give it a second thought.

It might be urban legend, but I recall hearing of an unlikely lottery winner in Florida.  Although she'd never before purchased a lottery ticket, when the cashier announced her total (yes, you guessed it) she panicked and blurted, "Give me a lottery ticket ... that number must change."

Personally I find him a little annoying, but mimicking ABC's John Quinones, "What would YOU do?"!

* * *


Speaking of the Lottery .....
Friend Jack at the Ship's Log told a cute story about a man beseeching the good Lord for favor. Whereupon the Lord looked down and said, "Help me out here ... buy a ticket!"

Like Jack, I love to daydream.   Except my fantasies have realigned themselves so often the Lord's probably just shaking His head.       


Because I've worked outside the home for so long now - and forgot to craft a life - the prospect of retirement is scary.   So, methinks I'd like to purchase a little business and continue working ... but the first thing on my must-have list would be a PRIVATE 'executive washroom.'   It's been over 20 years since I used to sub for the President's secretary at the TV station ... but I've not outgrown my awe at his private, black-marbled potty room.   
I guess, it's true what they say, Rank Hath Its Privilege.    
Or my favorite, Little Things Mean a Lot.  


* * *

Finally, another contribution to 
Ye Olde Generation Gap:

Helping facilitate another team-building exercise and armed with 'fun size' chocolate bars, I began to narrate "Who Said That?" -- random facts submitted by management and associates alike.   

Color me astonished.  
After reading Diana's card, "I once got a job as a Playboy bunny", folks began calling out names of their MALE co-workers.   
I don't think there was a soul in the room who knew what a Playboy bunny was!

Another slice of my youth gone by the by when I wasn't looking.
Don't blink!



Hugs from Phoenix,
Myra








22 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I can't believe that about the men there not knowing about Playboy bunnies; but maybe that's a good thing :) That is funny with perhaps your aversion of the number 6. The company I work for numbers all the reports obviously to keep track of them. I've been working for the company for 9 years. When I first started, we were at 245......, but of course over the years its gone up. Recently I noticed we were at 666....(do I dare even type those numbers here)? We had passed all sixes by the time I had seen where we were but I wonder if the person who did the report with it noticed it and what they might have felt about it.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point, Betty. But, I suspect there's more people than not who don't give it a second thought. Just in case, I'm usually inclined to make the sign of the cross ... and I'm not even Catholic. :)

      Delete
  2. Your humor always brightens my day....and, believe me, I'm not easily brightened.
    One of my cousins was a Playboy bunny, long ago (she recently fell and broke her hip, which gives you an idea of her present age).

    The triple 6 number bothers me, too, but not to the point where I'd be scouring people's heads for horns. Well, not much, anyway.

    As for executive bathrooms - - I heard that when Queen Elizabeth travels, new toilet seats are always installed in the hotel rooms that she stays in.
    I should be so fortunate......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Jon.
      That's weird - and at the same time fascinating about the Queen. I wonder if - after the fact - the hotel staff hasn't been inclined to market it on eBay?

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. I like to daydream too. I'm going to try to imagine what it's like to use the president's black marble potty room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! You're a classy lady, m'friend.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. I always get a kick out of your posts, I love the uniqueness. I had to laugh about the 6's, Son Jack tried to get his SS# changed because of them. Didn't work, seems that SS doesn't worry about one's choice of numbers. LOL
    Again, very interesting.
    I noted a visitor from the Goldwater Range. WE spent a couple months there one year and loved it. WE at first thought "DEAD' but we found we loved the dead desert!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. I can't believe how rude the Social Security Administration!
      At least with those numbers, Jack Jr. should feel somewhat confident that no-one would want to steal his identity!

      Delete
  5. You got that right. I got my Medicare card last week and I thought it was a mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL about the playboy bunnies. I was at both the Chicago Bunny Club and the Lake Geneva one. One of my ex boyfriends had a sister who was a bunny. It was kind of fun just to go. I heard the bunny uniforms were uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't the Chicago Bunny Club the original? That's neat you were able to experience that 'elite' atmosphere.

      Delete
  7. I just came from posting my Simple Woman's Daybook!! Imagine my surprise when we both mention "don't blink" You know what they say about great minds!!! How much fun it would have been to be a playboy bunny. Really! Back when I was much younger and much skinnier and much dumber!! Thanks for the laughs. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right ... great minds! (Or, I suspect in our case it would be 'dangerous minds.' LOL.)

      Delete
  8. I'm not very superstitious at all and who knew they didn't have playboy bunnies anymore? Not me. I know I'm ancient but I'm still learning new things every day ! Ha !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never gave '6' a thought before this.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hate to have put that in your mind!
      Not until the book 'The Omen' came out had I ever heard of it ... then I had to run home and double check my mother's Bible. (Sure enough....)

      Delete
  10. Oh girl ... me and triple-six will never get along. If it's mentioned in Bible prophecy, and not in a good way, I'm taking note.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently set a package of meat down and choose a different one because it was priced at the three 6's! Not a fan of that number set for sure! Always my pleasure to be here with you. Thanks for the shares.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!