Monday, September 21, 2015

The Reveal!



Thanks to all of you who shared your hunches on Friday's '4 Fibs' quiz!
As promised, now I'll 'fess up.


#5.   Really? No-one chose #5!?  

Would this snapshot change your mind?





Smart bloggers!

Yes, I was once a passenger aboard the ill-fated Yarmouth Castle -- except my parents and I had disembarked several weeks prior to that tragedy.



#4.  Sorry, no.   
After all these years, I've still an irrational  fear of flying.  The thought of actually jumping out of a plane on purpose gives me the heebie-jeebies!



#3.  Close ... but no cigar.
My family didn't arrive in Los Alamos until '52 ... 7 years after the Manhattan Project.
My dad worked for the former Atomic Energy Commission for near 30 years -- as a Security guard. I don't think he ever met Fermi.



#1.
I have to admit, it was really hard to type that poser with a straight face. 

While I've my own opinions of the Viet Nam war, I wholly support those men (and women) who served.

Boring, perhaps, but I've never felt strongly enough about anything to publicly protest.
(and thank God, I've never been arrested!)

 * * *


#2.  Ding, Ding, Ding!!! 
... congrats Betty and Rick!

November, 1991.  Valley Ranch, Irving, TX

In early 1991, one of my Florida co-workers accepted a job offer from the Dallas Cowboys organization.  John probably didn't expect anyone would actually take him up on his off-hand remark, "Come see me sometime."
... but that's exactly what R. and I did on our next visit to Dallas!

When we came to this area of their headquarters/practice facility - instead of taking a quick peek around the door - I strode right inside with R's grandson and his buddy so Mike might get his photo taken in front of Troy Aikman's locker.

Poor John was probably having kittens - imagining his new career waving 'bye-bye' before his very eyes.



On a somber note ...

I was remembering that visit a few days ago and thought it fun to look up John to see what he's up to.

Yes!  There was his image on Facebook!  

Except, I discovered it was a Foundation's profile... a memorial, if you will, to John Chang, Cowboys' Director of Broadcasting -- who'd passed away more than a decade ago from a cerebral hemorrhage.  He was but 38 years old.




Momma was right ... Every day is a gift. 





Hugs from Phoenix,

Myra 





24 comments:

  1. Every day is a gift ! Interesting to read about the true answers to your fibs. Hope you have a wonderful Monday and a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ma. I was happy to have you play along!

      Delete
  2. I liked the picture of you and your parents about that ship so many years ago ;) It was a lucky guess that I guessed that. Having seen the tour of the University of Phoenix stadium, I thought security might have been a bit tight to do such a thing. So sorry about learning of your friend's passing through trying to find him on Facebook. So young! Yes indeed, everyone is a gift!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about security. I don't suppose that was such a big deal back in 1991? Except, now I'm older and wiser (LOL) I think how awful if someone had come in and seen us there!

      Delete
  3. DRATS, but you are an illusive lady. HA! Thank for the fun, it is always a neat visit to your place.
    Sending Love and good thoughts your way and a hope for snow! (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you make me chuckle! I think these are about all the 'tricks' I've up my sleeve.

      Delete
  4. It is amazing about time. I'm with Betty about your friend. I was shocked to see my favorite Teacher passed away 40 yrs ago, when I finally had the means to check. Time=amazing.

    Yep, I 'Knowed' you wuz perty crazy! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL ... sending crazy hugs back your direction!

      Delete
  5. I am happy to finally learn the truth. I remember you saying that's how you felt about flying so I was sure the hot air balloon was out! Loved the picture of you with your parents. Glad you had gotten off the ship before the fire! I thought the locker room one just seemed too tame! Dang! You had me fooled

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See why I was so devastated to be labeled 'structured' in that personality study? :) In retrospect, I guess the locker room does seem tame. (But I'm awfully glad we weren't caught!)

      Delete
  6. I would never have guessed that one. What a blessing from God that you disembarked days before!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to admit it - - you're a good fibber, Myra - - much better than I ever expected. I chose #3 because I remembered you mentioning that your family had lived in Los Alamos.

    To be honest, the Yarmouth Castle one is the VERY last that I would have chosen. It's fascinating that you were really on that ship!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Aw, I'm sorry ... that (and #3) were both red herrings, weren't they? I should have put more thought into my original sentence structure. The truth (#2) almost seems, like Paula said, 'tame.'

      Want to hear another weird factoid? My mother, son and I sailed aboard the Oceanos in 1984 ... then a few years later it, too, sank off the coast of South Africa.

      Delete

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. I'm starting to see a pattern here. Ships always sink after you have sailed on them. I'll keep that in mind when I book my next voyage.

      This was a fun post. I hope someday you'll do another one.

      Delete
  8. Why you are just full of surprises! Love you to pieces, fun lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  9. Oops, I thought someone might misconstrue my earlier attempt at humor. 'Guess I'm still trying to break out of that 'structured' label? Love you back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully said my friend. Every single day is a gift. My cousin, so young, 57, passed away last Thursday. My heart is still so heavy. If I need a smile or a wake up I know I can come here and count on you. You are a terrific writer my friend. Have a beautiful week. It was 90 here today. Whewwwwww.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, m'friend. I always get a smile seeing your 'face' on my page!

      Delete
  11. That was a fun quiz. I should try something like that....Not the locker room stroll, but the quiz.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!