Friday, July 31, 2015

Traditions (Silly Trilogy Pt. III)



Yikes, I lost track of the calendar there for a minute!
It's seriously high time I get to trolling SharkTank.com for my gal-pal's upcoming birthday.   

... which got me wondering, how'd that Tradition -- finding something "as seen on TV" -- get started in the first place?   We're so different, Debbie and I.  'Suppose the ball started rolling when I learned it was the only show we both enjoyed ... and, I could shop on-line!

I adore Tradition.   

Except, our family unit wasn't big on it.  
Actually, it wasn't big at all.   Dad, Mom and Myra situated atop a mesa, literally thousands of miles from our next of kin.
(... which was OK on account we didn't know them all that well anyway.)   

Thus began the practice of holidays spent in anonymous resorts and restaurants.   Gift-giving was a slow, carefully orchestrated process where everyone took his/her turn while the others paid undivided attention.   

Imagine my surprise (and dismay!) the first Christmas Eve spent at my (former) in-laws when -- not unlike the start of a NASCAR event -- a horde of men, women and children simultaneously converged on the poor tree's underside.   I actually winced as wrapping paper flew this way and that.   "That's just wrong!" (cue the tears.)   
... but someone observed, "If we wait for everyone to open their presents one at a time, we'll be here 'til midnight."       

In the end, before DH came on the scene (*smile*), mother and I took comfort where we'd begun: A nice supper out, followed by comfy pajamas, pistachio nuts and cocktails.   
Guaranteed:  I'd always get a box of L'eggs panty-hose and a new Vanity Fair nightgown  ... and always, I'd feign surprise.   
In return, I'd try mixing it up, but invariably, mother's 'stocking' contained an oversize bottle of Bailey's Irish Creme ... and she'd squeal like it was the first time.

Are there birthday or holiday Traditions you observe to this day?

I suppose it's never too late to start a new Tradition.   On a smaller scale, I might even turn the occasion of my Blogaversary into an annual event.   You think?  

Heck, that's too far out to think about right now.   
I'm just tickled to see your names in my comments, then go and grin at the array of trinkets and treasures scattered in the guest room, each awaiting its new home!    


Why yes, I'm the original party animal


Hugs from Phoenix!

Myra



  

18 comments:

  1. Ha! Cute party animal there!
    Nah, I don't think we have any 'traditions'. Except son #2 seemed to always be (get) sick every special day including Christmas. (true)
    I really can see 'traditions' being fun.
    We do have an almost nightly tradition where I tuck my girl in, since I mostly stay up late.
    As always, a fun visit.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Jack.... my heart always smiles when you talk about "tucking in your girl." In my book, yours is a winning tradition!

      Delete
  2. What a cute picture of you in your "younger" days! We made traditions out of necessity I think. Growing up my mom got us started on opening gifts one at a time at Christmas and going in a circle. Her reasoning, we didn't have many gifts given and she wanted to spread out the time of opening. We carried it through when we got married and raised kids. My brother and wife didn't at first and we were there that Christmas when all gifts were opened within 10 minutes. Afterwards, my sister in law said she would rather have it go a little slower so they adopted the same tradition. Because we too lived far away from family, we would adopt our own traditions for the holidays; usually a movie to go to on Thanksgiving, same special meal for Christmas breakfast, etc. I think we need tradition. It helps us keep firm footed at times.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like what you said about traditions keeping us firm-footed, Betty! I never thought of it that way, but it seems comforting.

      Delete
  3. Christmas traditions were never a big part of my growing up either. We would be lucky if there were any gifts at all under the tree. A lot of ours came in the back of a Big Salvation Army truck filled with hand-me-down-toys! I always wanted to create the perfect Norma Rockwell Christmas for my family. And it always fell flat. And then I could cry and drink too much wine. Then Richard would try to comfort me. All to no avail. I just quit trying. It is what it is. Now Richard did always make sure my stocking had a box of Russell Stover chocolates and a bottle of Vanderbilt perfume!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Tom and I moved out here, his daughter tried re-creating the traditional Polish Christmas Eve dinners (aka Norman Rockwell), yet she and her brother's long-standing feud made the whole affair awkward.
      What a romantic, your Richard. That's pretty neat that you put up a stocking and he filled it with love.

      Delete
    2. He was the best! I'm telling you gf! I will never find another

      Delete
  4. I love the sweet photo!
    There were never any traditions in our home. My parents were never very keen on holidays, traditions, or gifts. My father's extreme violence usually ruined every Christmas anyway.

    When my parents got older, I created my own tradition of always cooking them an elaborate dinner for New Years Eve. They always enjoyed the dinners - - and it's the only time I can remember when things were pleasant, normal, and happy.. I'm thankful for having those memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a grand idea, to cater a private dinner party for your parents on New Years eve!
      Absolutely, those are the mental snapshots to cherish!

      Delete
  5. You should only know...in fact I just called Tom over to read this post. He was appalled the first Christmas with my family too just as you describe your ex in-laws.Same scenario exactly. We did not celebrate like that with our kiddos. Oh no....we were worse when the girls got into college and dress up costumes were required. Games, theme nights....crazy. Embarrassing to celebrate the savior's birth like that....but then I bet He enjoyed our gala too. I'll have to overcome my fears and post about it some holiday season!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mary, I would love to hear more about your holiday galas! What a wonderful tradition!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the sweet comments regarding my photo!
    I totally recall when it was taken - September '57 aboard the Queen Mary, somewhere in the North Atlantic.
    My father constructed my headgear for the children's crazy hat competition ... and I was furious that people were looking at me and (I believed) laughing at me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sincerely doubt anyone would laugh at such a sweet little girl!!

      Delete
  7. Christmas at out house was scary for Jilda the first few times, but she got used to it.
    Your blog anniversary celebration tradition is something you should start. A lot of people start blogging but not many keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your first line is intriguing, indeed! Compromise is difficult - but wonderful at the same time.

      Delete
  8. Ahhh, just talking about Christmas gets me excited (I already have quite a bit of shopping finished)....:)
    Norman Rockwell here...as a child, my mother and Dad made the best Christmas for brother and I.Our gifts were handmade mostly...always a doll for me, trucks and boy stuff for brother...lots of aunts, uncles, cousins...we opened gifts on Christmas Eve and Santa came on Christmas morning.
    We did the same with our 2 children...and now all the family comes to our house on Christmas Eve for gift giving and a good meal. We go to their houses on C. morning to see "what Santa brought" and Christmas Brunch.
    Now, I want to go get my tree out and get it all decorated....hahhhaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing, BJ! You've such a gift for decorating, no matter what time of year. It's great fun, simply looking on from the sidelines!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!