Friday, June 26, 2015

Updated 'ish' room ... and other things


... You know, I really should start calling it something else besides 'ish.'  
Suggestions, anyone?

* * *


No. I've not realized any Major Changes to that guest room I refer to as 'ish.'  You may recall, at first I was overly enthused.
...Then stymied for not having the available funds to cover every square inch of the room's perimeter.    

Looking back, I have to hand it to Mr. God for that 'cooling off' period!   Aside from the occasional overnight houseguest, no-one has occasion to see that room except me.   
... and I'm thinking it's Splendidly Imperfect.    
Care to peek?

I'd just about given up finding a mirror I liked, 
until we discovered this sweetheart almost hidden away in a nearby thrift shop. 

I'm not sure if you can make it out, but I had the idea to stick cork down the side of the bookcase, turning that un-used space into an impromptu bulletin board.

Unfortunately, the only cork I could find was far too thin.  Props to DH for picking up a can of wood cement and meticulously pasting the tiles, one atop of the other - then onto the bookcase! 
Notice anything hanging?

Here, take a closer look!
Betcha can guess the opposite side's inscription!


The tapioca bowl I grew up with is now re-purposed as a catch-all.

... and I couldn't not include a fav picture of my father and son - with daddy's original teddy bear!

Those of you who also follow Paula might recall her book review, where the author urged her readers to surround themselves with only those objects which bring them joy.

Tall order, methinks!

I don't know about you, but I've fallen into the habit of surrounding myself with obligatory or inherited 'things' that sometimes actually have the opposite effect!

The crystal ring holder? 
I'm not a fan of crystal or bling-y anything! 
...and at the time this was given, one of hubby's relations wasn't my fav person on the planet.
Honestly, I can't believe I kept it around so long!

Now, this wee candleholder - discovered at a stopover in Muleshoe, Texas - fits the bill, and makes me smile at the same time!

 

While I'd love to find a small desk/secretary for the unoccupied east wall, it's probably in my better interests to keep that space reserved for elder aerobics.
My back is lots better - thanks for your well-wishes - but I desperately need to start moving again, even if it's to the strains of Chad & Jeremy!

* * *

Well, it's certainly been a tumultuous week ... it's difficult not to get caught up!   I'd just like to wish y'all peaceful and pleasant, splendidly-imperfect weekend!

Hugs from Phoenix,
Myra   





18 comments:

  1. Respice I'm thinking on the other side of Prospice :) I do like your room. I'm sure it will always be a work in progress, you will tweak this and that, but as it is now, I think it is cozy. Maybe the name "Myra's Den?"

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I called mine "my room" and now I call it "Harley's room" LOL Soon I will be claiming our room and making it once again my room. Love the idea of cork on the side of the bookcase. Could you maybe glue 2 or three of the cork tiles on top of each other so they wouldn't be so thin? I may have to do that in Harley's room. Neat to use as a place to pin things up! I love that bowl. Nice for mementos. I think you are heading the right way.....a sanctuary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Paula, that's what we had to do -- glue 2 cork squares atop one another to get the 'just right' width. Thanks for your vote of confidence!

      Delete
  3. I love the mirror and often wish I had one here, but alas the walls are full and I don't know what I'd part with. Hope you too have a wonderful weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your back continues to improve. Sounds like you are dealing just fine with the "ish" room. I have been there done that when it comes to surrounding myself with only those objects which bring me joy. In one room of my house only. the rest is a hodgepodge of stuff i'm stuck with from this person and that, obligatory, for sure. It's frustrating for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seem to like anyone's decorative work better than mine. This looks really planned to me, but I am not a great judge. I like things to be the way I like them.

    "Not as far as my son Jack, he removed the kitchen Cabinet doors so he would not have to guess what was in them, TRUE!
    quote:....... surrounding myself with obligatory or inherited 'things' that sometimes actually have the opposite effect!

    Methinks this is a disease, I see it so often.
    Now you have we wondering what is on the other side of the hanging dude, ;-).

    Love from North Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  6. ps: May the Back, be back to NORMAL SOON! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to hear that your back is improving. I enjoyed seeing some of the treasures that are ensconced in Myra's Cove (that just came out of the blue). There is an immensely satisfying feeling to be surrounded by things that we love. They generate warmth and ignite fond memories.

    Hey, I've been to Muleshoe, TX numerous times and I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is that wall blue? It looks like a lovely shade of blue. Chad and Jeremy??? Cripes, now we are dating ourselves. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No blue walls, Kim. That's actually my LEAST favorite shade on the color wheel.

      'Dating myself'? Perhaps so... but you know, I'm not ashamed. In fact, I'm darn grateful to be here!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  9. You've given me a gentle kick to really think about the things around me, and which ones are giving me joy. Lots of things aren't and it's time for them to find a new home. Take good care from an East coast fan of Chad and Jeremy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the word "ish" maybe because I'm use to it now and know exactly what you're referring to!!! I like what you've done, the mirror, the bookcase with photos and collectibles. Love the idea of surrounding myself with that which brings me joy in my decorating. Now I'll have to look and see if I can find a photo of you and me somewhere.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. The room looks lovely. I like all the decorations, mirror and that cork was a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The room looks inviting to me. We also have rooms that are seldom seen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the room and all those things you love so close by. I love that pendant and certainly can guess what is on the flip side (wink wink)! I have too many treasures I love, that is my problem! We are going to be working in our garage this weekend. Pray for us. It is easier to let go of things then it was when I was younger. I have a lot of dolls in my garage. Nowhere to display them, but hard to let go.I love Chad and Jeremy too. In fact, I might have to go to you tube and listen while I visit a few more blogs. Have a beautiful day and I am happy I came by to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Muleshoe, Texas? I want to go there...just because of the name! I wish I had your initiative...I have a junked up junk room that borders on hoarding. I'd love to have it as an ish room. I'm sure you told why at some point, but why do you call the room ish?

    I love that tapioca bowl. I have very few things around here that I grew up with, wish I had more...and I have some things that came from my mom's childhood, as well. They need special places...as of yet, they have no special place. Maybe one day I'll get that room cleaned out....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I don't think I ever did elaborate "why"! It isn't the actual guest-room, and I was always at a loss to describe it -- Bohemian-ish ... Americana-ish, etc. Nothing sounded right, and it just evolved to 'ish.' (smile)

      Delete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!