Friday, December 19, 2014

It's Beginning to Feel a Lot Like Christmas!


... well, not exactly like the White Christmases I enjoyed as a child.
Still, when there's cause to pull extra covers from the closet, and my decades-old sweaters make a cameo appearance  ... I smile!

A month I've been gone?  Yikes!  
It's not for having nothing to say -- as DH would be happy to attest.  
Rather, I don't suppose you good folks would be interested in hearing me re-hash the agony of this year's Iron Bowl ...
nor, my shiny new (albeit, UNwanted) washing machine, clothes dryer and garbage disposal.
 (Yuppers.   No sooner did one go kaput, but the others followed in short order.)  

On a happier note, Tom's recovery is amazing.    He developed some nasty abrasions as a result of a allergy to the tape, but the home care nurse got us back on track.   We were so blessed that our insurance allowed her 9 visits!
 ... reassuring for someone who was ready to wave a white flag after the first 24 hours.    Caregiver, I'm NOT!

There's so, sooooo much for which to be thankful!


... not the least of which is my (sometimes unexpected) treasure trove of memories.

For instance?    During my early morning commute yesterday, I had this great visceral craving for hot cheese queso dip and tortilla chips.   At 6AM. 
What's odd?   I probably haven't indulged in that goodness since leaving West Texas more than 20 years ago!  

Thanks in huge part to 'Etsy', the Master List was complete weeks ago.    We had to cut back this year, but ever since I was a little kid - armed with the Miles Kimball Christmas catalog -  I get this absurd delight finding the 'perfect' gift for everyone on my list.   (Sometimes I think mine's a sickness.)

The only 'to-do' remaining is my annual Starbucks expedition.  Having an addictive personality, I only allow myself a visit to 'Mr. Bucks' once each year for a seasonal delight ... which, of course, must be slowly savored like a fine wine.  LOL!    (Hey, I take my simple pleasures where I can find them!)I

Those of you who know me on Facebook are familiar with this tableau ... but I wanted to share our lil' substitute-for-a-tree impromptu scene.   The wee book was gifted to my mother when she was but 5 years (ca. 1920).  In turn, she grew up and 'stuffed' this sweet tree for her own daughter.   And that little stool with mis-matched paint?   It's a survivor ... of my own tumultuous toddler days. 

 


In the coming days, I hope to share some vignettes from the Most Wonderful Time of the Year - both past and present.    I hope you'll stay tuned!

Hugs from Phoenix!
Myra




8 comments:

  1. I always enjoy your comments. SWEET. First, Glad Tom is doing well and a HA! about younot being a care giver. I bet Tom loves the smiles.
    Amazing you have held onto treasures thru the many moves. How wonderful. I don't think we have been so lucky.
    Yes, even the worst of us Scrooges seem to realize CHRISTMAS is soon to be here. so Merry Christmas to you and Brother Tom. I Hope you gyes have plenty of kisses and hugs to celebrate the SEASON! Thanks for a good read tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: I love seeing Sarah and Chloe on the side bar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear Tom's recovery is going well and that the that you guys are back on track with it after those icky abrasions! I love the tableau; so very festive, especially when it includes something from your mom!

    Great restraint you have for avoiding Starbucks but once a year! (come to think of it, I stay away too, but might be using it a bit more until we get internet in, LOL, after we move :)

    I think sometimes the simple gifts are the best gifts to give and get and sometimes just the gift of being together is the best one of all.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard the words Miles Kimball Christmas catalog, in years. I remember it well. Thanks for making me smile. Glad your husband is doing well. Merry Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad all is well there at your house. I agree with that quote that as we grow older the things we really want cannot be bought. I do thoroughly enjoy this time of year! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I had to come back and say, I know you are enjoying the new appliances (smile Iron bowl), I am a little slow, age you know! hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother made those very same little stuffed trees. Thank you so much for helping me to remember her today. I am glad you are back to blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darn you lady, now I am going to scout out the Miles Kimball catalog! HaHaHa! I am addicted to catalogs and magazines.Silly I am! Love hearing your stories and seeing your shares here. I am always pleased that you are my friend. Hugs, Anne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!