Sunday, October 26, 2014

A Charmed Life?



"Is every one of Michele's family ridiculously good looking?"
... so an associate asked me a few years back.   My boss' daughter was to be married in a few days, and extended family members from here-there-and-everywhere gathered to check-in.
Yes.  To a person, their faces appeared to have been crafted by heavenly hosts.

I probably shouldn't say this out loud .... but it's been on my mind a while now.   And at this stage of my life, I'm all about transparency.

For too many years, I might have disliked them - and their seemingly 'charmed lives' - on sight.   For no good reason.

Since grade school, I resented those whose effortless good looks and charisma made me want to shrink further and further into the shadows.    Janice's poignant "At Seventeen" may well have been written about yours truly.


 
 
Thank God, we grow and get over ourselves!
And learn what Real Beauty is all about.
  
Still, every now and then I wonder.   What is it about the presence of others' larger-than-life appearances that makes us feel clumsy or inadequate?  
 
Sure, every once in a great I can still hear a classmate's words, "Myra?  You mean the one with the big nose?"  
Then I reassure myself, recalling another similarly-afflicted soul's laugh: "All this oxygen we get to breathe, and I'm sure lucky to get more than the next fellow."
 
I was sobered recently by a news story whose headline teased:  "What the Dying Really Regret."  
As Erma Bombeck once lamented - I presumed the answer to be not taking more chances.
 
No.  They regretted wasting so much time hating their own bodies!   Isn't that incredibly sad?
 
Oh, and by the way.  
One of Michele's  "ridiculously good looking" family members - a vibrant young man with a lovely, loving wife and two little girls recently passed away from brain cancer ......at age 34.     
 
Tommy's story is but one of hundreds, maybe thousands.  
Didn't we used to refer to the Kennedy family as 'charmed'?
 
It's a little early to be talking about Thanksgiving, but I'm incredibly grateful to be right here, right now .... and especially for you allowing me to be part of your charmed lives.  
 
I promise to be back with a more upbeat tone next time.
 
Hugsfrom Phoenix!
Myra :)
 
 
 
 
 
  
 
 
 
 


12 comments:

  1. I didn't think this was too "down" of a post, Myra, in fact I'm glad you did write the bit about what dying people regret. I think I would be one of those. I have a love/hate relationship with my body; I think I'm going to work on changing it to a love one more.

    I don't think there's any familes immune to tragedy, even despite their good looks. I know the families I have seen that I thought "had to together" when I got to know them more realized they were struggling with things just like I was struggling with things.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved listening to the music as I read your post. I used to be so jealous of my best friend's family. Until one day I discovered all their 'skeletons' and found they were about the same as us. But, yes, we do need to accept ourselves. So many years wasted wishing I was something that I'm not. I'm pretty happy with where I am now....fat, big nose, grey hair....the whole nine yards :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is sad that looks mean so much to so many. We would hate it though if we all looked the same. Yes, time does help us to realize what true beauty is. Accepting ourselves and others as we are. Truly beauty is everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugsfrom Phoenix!
    Myra :)
    Aha, I feel hugged. What a grand post, yes even today we can see photos of JFK, and think of his charm, wit and so handsome........... but died at 43, Elvis left us at 43. Either would have given their wealth, fame and fortune to reached my age, or even for one more year.
    You make me think. I spent years hating my name 'jackie' a girls name, I heard over and over. Funny to have wasted the effort.
    This is a thinker, huh? Terrible us humans, we will find something about ourselves to not like, huh?
    You have done well, this entry will stick with me for awhile. As I read this I thought of Tom, and how happy you seem with the time you are blessed with.
    Good stuff, and thanks for the BIG HUG!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Myra - i do agree with that - although my body is a lot worse now than then! But what are you going to do but accept it or be miserable. I think age tames us down in lots of areas and puts things in perspective for us. You just don't have to worry as much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is what I've always told my kids - God made us exactly the way He wanted us to look, so who are we to wish we looked differently?

    I'm short, I have no boobs and I knocked out my front teeth when I was a teenager and I hate my fake teeth so I hate my smile. But what am I going to do? It is what it is. LOL. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. This really hits home for me. What is really sad is the effect this has on young girls. We put too much emphasis on these things it's true. being who you are should be our number one priority.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our world is out of control. Your words are so true here. Beauty has nothing to do with good looks, those fade or last forever I guess depending on the amount of plastic surgery people have had! Always good to see you here friend. Hugs, Anne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you touched a nerve here. My family grew up poor and in high school, it seemed that everyone enjoyed a more abundant life than me.
    Thankfully, I didn't dwell on the poverty or let it define me. I worked hard, did more than was expected.
    I worked days and went to college at night.....for years. I completed my masters degree at the age of 47.
    The last reunion I attended, I realized I'd done more in my life than most of the "charmed" folks I envied in school.

    Great post. Thanks.
    R

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Halloween my friend. I have nominated you for an award. Come to my blog and check it out...hope you'll play along

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your post is very touching. I was always the tall, bone skinny girl..no boobs to speak of...no curves...my mama made all my clothes, I'm sure because we couldn't find any to fit my "boyish figure"...my best friend had boobs enuf for both of us and curves even Marilyn Monroe would have envied...and my friend was the sweetest girl in the whole school...and MY best friend...so I was blessed back then, even tho I didn't fully realize it. :) It takes age and wisdom to realize beauty isn't what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
  12. From all I've seen of you Ms Myra, you are a beauty yourself, and I sincerely mean that. But outward beauty is way overrated and has ruined a many a girl's image of herself.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!