Saturday, September 6, 2014

Looking for Mayberry

 
Happy September, everyone!
...and to those fortunate enough to witness the beginnings of Autumn, won't you inhale deeply on my behalf?  

I so hope everyone enjoyed a satisfying holiday weekend?  
Used to be, I'd regard any 3-day weekend as an excuse to hit the road. For example, on a whim I once traveled from Abilene, TX to Vail, CO in a roadster with no a/c, 'just because' someone offered us the use of their picturesque cabin.    
... and I suppose it was that very weekend I began to grow up -- when, on the way home, exhaustion set in and I started 'seeing things' on the lonesome highway south of Lubbock.

For a host of reasons I've been reluctant to stray too far from home these last few years.  Still, the idea of having of 5 unfettered days off -- not to mention my growing 'itch' to change course -- resulted in last week's getaway to the picturesque Verde Valley.  


Stock image

Now, I never properly said Thank You! to all who offered suggestions regarding my wanting to downsize.   Each of your insights was really valued.  Really!  
Sadly, I have to admit (that) while DH and I are wholly committed to one another, if we were to try and coexist in an RV bloodshed might come of it.  (JK!!!)    

Actually, Jon's mention of a mobile/manufactured home began to make the most sense.   
... and we began visualizing just that sort of abode, situated in one of my favorite spots in the state.   A Field Trip was in order!

Not coincidentally, one of my favorite blog-pals lives in the Verde Valley and I was more than a little excited when Mary and her hubby invited us to meet them for breakfast.    I'm not particularly fond of the over-used term, 'exceed your expectations' ... but that's exactly what happened!   Mary is as genuine and caring an individual as you'd ever want to meet, and her handsome hubby just cracked us up with his stories!



As with any 'first steps', many of my presumptions about real-estate were WAY off-key.   After all, Cottonwood lies practically in the shadow of Sedona.    
Still, everyone we encountered just exuded this openness and warmth I'd not witnessed since having lived in West Texas.    I can seriously envision our living in its neighboring community of Clarkdale ... which I (not-so-privately) christened, 'Mayberry.'   
...see what I mean? (Stock images borrowed from 'Bing.')

I'm not sure if you can spot them, but I adore those olden homes' front porches!
Yes, they still pump your gas and check the oil!  Love!!!!!


For a myriad of reasons, we're in no position to make a move right now.  God willing and careful choices, I hope we're but a couple of years away.
Is anyone interested in purchasing a gently-used home in Goodyear, AZ?  LOL

Sorry to have rambled on and on.   Can you tell, I'm excited?   It's been a while I've felt that way ... and gosh, but it feels good.

Hugs from Phoenix!

PS - I've almost 44 hours remaining before Real Life intrudes, and I plan to spend a big chunk of it blog-hopping.   I've missed you!    








         







12 comments:

  1. It really does look like Mayberry, love it! Yep, can't wait to downsize too! Enjoy the weekend my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a nice place to move to! Glad you got to meet a fellow blogger too and enjoyed the visit! Enjoy the rest of your time off from work :)

    I too am like you; not one to go too far away these days, my biggest thing is leaving Koda boarded, but every once in awhile I get the "urge" to want to go and see something :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can certainly identify with "seeing things" on that lonesome highway south of Lubbock. I've piloted it more times than I care to remember.

    Clarkdale sounds like a perfect place to live. I've never been there but it's definitely my type of town..You completely sold me when you said they still pump your gas and check the oil.

    It's nice that you met Mary. Some of the nicest people I've ever met are bloggers. I'd ideally like to live in a neighborhood filled with all of us bloggers. I'd probably be the most annoying one - - playing the piano with my windows open.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fun concept, Jon! Brings a whole new slant to the term, "Blogville"!

      Delete
  4. That all looks beautiful. And how nice that you got to meet Mary. I love meeting blogger friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to meet folk from the blog world. I have never been disappointed. Usually thrilled and have a ball. House in Good year? Talk about blood shed, to move Sherry that far from the grands? ha!

    Those of us who do crazy things, understand others that do! LOL

    Love you lady, WE must make dreams and plans or we stagnate. methinks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you got to meet some wonderful bloggers.

    Now what is this about moving and downsizing? I must have missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope your dreams come true. It's wonderful to have something like that to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BloggerTown would be a great place to live. I love the area around Sedona and think I'm overdue for a visit back. It's the best when blog friends just become friends. I know I'm lucky that way. Lots of hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clarkdale, the new Mayberry: I like that! It is quaint for sure! How wonderful it would be to have you guys closer to us and I know my hubby would enjoy it. It makes me happy that you had a good time in our neck of the woods. I agree with the others; let's never stop dreaming for fear we grow old and stale! This post is beautifully written and fun! So grateful for your friendship.

    Love you!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. having traveled many roads, late at night, I know your eyes can play tricks on you. Your little jaunt away from your current home has done you a world of good. Clarkdale sounds idyllic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad to know your love West Texas...been here all my long life with 42 years in Lubbock...guess WE love it, too.:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!