Saturday, September 27, 2014

Heirlooms - or horsefeathers?


Me, I'm not normally given to 'signs' or 'tugs' from the universe.  
I sure don't discount their existence.  It's just, that stuff happens to other folks.

Before anyone goes getting excited, I'm not talking about seeing long-deceased, line-dancing ancestors.   

Instead, a mundane activity in which lots of us find ourselves unwilling participants:   Deciding what family 'heirlooms' to save, what to release.

For a while now, I've felt it's time to purge.  
Still, I was doing a pretty good job of ignoring our guest-room closet - whose contents challenge anyone to hang more than 1-2 articles of clothing.  

Then, in the space of a few days came a proverbial 'kick' ... and another.  Followed by another:
  
As is custom, the other morning I grabbed a random Unity cassette from the hodgepodge to 'pump me up' while preparing for the day.   Titled Heirlooms, my former minister was speaking about those sometimes silly, inanimate objects we hang onto - which really have no value - except in our hearts.   Her turning point came when a trusted friend sat alongside as she examined the contents of one box, then another.   Each time the friend asked, "Does that mean anything to you?"

That evening an inspiring e-mail arrived, improbably titled, 'Learning to travel lighter.'

... and the morning after that?  Both my go-to radio stations were playing something I didn't care for, so I hit the button for a frequency I used to enjoy.  The hosts'  were soliciting listener's feedback, asking, "What is something you will never get rid of?"

I don't know about you, but I'm probably holding onto lots of stuff out of some weird sense of obligation.  I've already tossed some hundred matchbooks and swizzle sticks - keeping those whose logos still evoke a smile.   They'll probably mean little to my granddaughters, but meanwhile they don't take up a lot of room.

Perhaps I should consider an Etsy shop like my blog buddy, Kim.   Or Instagram akin to Martha's spot in the sun.    You think?


Candidates for the chopping block
That with which I'll never (ever) part?  
I know this is long, but I'd really like to show you few of my favorite heirlooms.


No, this isn't my wine-glass! 
I remember little from our 1957 European excursion, but do recall my father refusing to let the folks at StadtKeller ship his 3-liter glass boot.
Instead he carried it by hand throughout the rest of the tour, then across the Atlantic, and finally via Greyhound back to New Mexico.
 
Know what?  Throughout all my moves, I've done the same.   
 
Grandma Willer gifted a set of these to my parents for their wedding ...
then was enormously appalled when she discovered the 'nekked lady' engraved on each of the delicate glasses.
Once I turned 13 y/o, one of these 
appeared alongside my own dinner plate each Sunday!
 
Silly old wooden bowl now sits atop my refrigerator,
but used to be the dedicated repository for S&H green stamps,
 
 
 
So, I've got to ask.    
Besides photographs, what's something you will never, ever get rid of?
 
 
Hugs from (rainy) Phoenix!
Myra
 
 
 
 


11 comments:

  1. Love your special things and the stories attached to them. I can't seem to part with greeting cards I've been given. I have thousands of them, literally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, there are things you just cannot get rid of. Yes there are things that tug, you cna pick it up to give it away a thousand times, but lay it back down.
    Some things we have given away to family, hoping they will treasure it, BUT not really sure down deep.

    This entry does get to me, having tried to down size and still, sooo many things. i say we live in the Motor Home and we do, but we do have a few things stored at Sister Shirls, and in our two storage buildings. Things that just cannot leave us, because we want let them. (smile)
    GREAT entry

    Love fro Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have so many things that I can't part with that it is just disgusting to think about. Right now most of it is Richard's. Hopefully I won't try to hang on to everything....I love your special things too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Paula! What I meant to write, is just cautionary ... don't do what I did, and get rid of things too soon. What makes sense now, might not look that way in another year, or two. Hugs!

      Delete
  4. I loved the story of the glass boot and your dad carrying it on moves and you doing the same :) All your special things and their stories behind them are precious. I know it wasn't until our last move that I finally parted with a trophy I had gotten back in high school, over 30 years ago, LOL :)

    Right now I'm thinking about what I wouldn't part with and right now nothing comes to mind only because I think I still have such bad memories and bad feelings about all we had to get rid of after hubby's parents passed and all their stuff that I adopted the attitude to definitely not cling to anything.

    I think purging is good. They (whoever they are) suggest to take a picture of something that you like and are getting rid of it so you still have the memory of it in picture form :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Respice, Prospice" has been included in our A Sunday Drive. Be assured that we hope this helps to point even more new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2014/09/a-sunday-drive_28.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an attic and a basement full of things I cannot part with. I've tried to sort it out and get rid of somethings with little success. It's an ongoing project of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the naked ladies story - that's a hoot!!

    I'm a pack rat, well, maybe a collector. Is there a fine line? LOL.. I have several things I'd never part with, like my grandma's wood rolling service cart - I have it at the lake house and it's my prized possession. But I also have my christening dress in a shadowbox, lots of my childhood Dr. Seuss books, my grandma's brass bell and brass jewelry box, my sterling silver charm bracelet... Gosh, I can go on and on. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been thinking of one line you used:
    "Still, I was doing a pretty good job of ignoring our guest-room closet." Imma thinking, "Ain't it the truth!"

    Love you lady, Hugs to Brother Tom...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your stories - and I do understand why you want to keep those things. I think I have gotten a little past that - I am realizing that when I die - I don;t think there will be anyone who will want them or understand their meaning - you know what i mean?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!