Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Wednesday Hodgepodge



 
 
Color me, "excited" to finally participate in Joyce's weekly meme! (Why, just saying "hodgepodge" out-loud is FUN to pronounce!)
 
Without further ado ...
 
1. Picture postcards were first printed back in the mid-1800's and deltiology is the official name for postcard collecting. When did you last send a postcard?  Receive one? Do you save postcards sent to you? Do you collect and/or send postcards when you travel?
 
As a child ... while on family vacations, my folks would purchase postcards and have me write a message .... then send to our own address back home. 
In later years, it was fun to read my oversize, crooked print, informing myself I was having a good time!!
 
Today?  The only time I might buy a postcard would be to capture a scene (that) my own little Kodak couldn't begin to replicate.  I figure it's a wee price to pay for someone else's expertise.

 2. What treat do you most like to indulge in while on vacation?
 
OK, my first response was to say, not having to make the bed.  Then, I realized that would only drive ME crazy.  I'm not much of a housekeeping fuss-budget, but I can't stand an unmade bed.
 
I think the sweetest pleasures are being able to dine at odd hours and take naps at will!

 3. Are you good at hiding your feelings?
 
Ah, my Achilles heel!  I've always struggled not to wear my heart on my sleeve, or be overly concerned what others' think.
 
Nevertheless, it's critical I remain composed in the workplace.   DH and I've always been each other's confidants -- but since he's taken ill, I think it's important I stay upbeat.  
Only around a few trusted friends (and of course, through prayer) do I feel free giving free rein to my emotions.

 4. Does your town/city/county still deliver telephone books to your home? Do you check the yellow pages when searching for a local business number or has the internet replaced the phone book in your home?
 
I'm definitely an internet junkie.  Phone directories are so annoying!

 5. Would you rather be first or last?
 
Hmm, there's several ways to interpret this.  I had to sit back and ponder this one.
 
I'm not particularly athletic or extroverted, so we can eliminate "first."
(There's no option for middle-of-the-pack, is there?)
I think if one's observant and will learn from those who've gone before, being last can be a good thing.

 6. July is National Park and Recreation Month (in America, but everyone can still play along)...where and when were you last in a park?  Did you participate in any recreational activities while you were there?
 
A few years ago, my DIL, the grands and I enjoyed a girls' excursion to the Grand Canyon.   It was such fun witnessing their reactions to what the 13-y/o had assumed was "just a big hole in the ground."
 
Our schedule didn't allow for any hiking, etc. but the girls hopped around the rocks like mountain goats .... while I cringed on the sidelines.

 7.  What was one of your worst ideas?
 
Funny you should ask!

 
   Bargain-brand cereal and sandwich spread make for a pretty revolting breakfast.


 8.  Insert your own random thought here.

Now, I'm beating myself up for waiting 'til after work to share a random thought.   Rather than face Joyce's wooden spoon (lol!), I think this sums it up nicely.   
Then again, tomorrow's another day!    Have a great week, everyone!
 

9 comments:

  1. Hodgepodge.

    Yep. It's kind of fun to say now that you pointed it out.

    I loved your answers. We're so much alike in them. We used to do the self addressed post cards too. I had my girls do them as well. I have them in my memory trunk.

    And that breakfast idea of yours??? What were you thinking? I think you needed another cup of joe to clear the sleep out before embarking on that. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! This is my first time here. I really liked your answers. But that breakfast is very strange indeed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to add that the piñata idea is great. I always wanted a padded room where I could go scream and beat the walls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. About that breakfast ....
    Both my GM and I are fond of munching on dry cereal at our desks. But THIS brand was too awful to describe ... guess you get what you pay for? Since we'd no milk in the office fridge, I thought the chipotle might give it a kick. After the fact, I hoped no field mice or other garbage-diving critters were poisoned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh! We used to do the post cards also ... from all over the states to EVERYONE we knew. My how time has changed. So many life similarities, M.

    Big praying hugs to you both ~
    TTFN ~
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not good at this, but I truly enjoy reading everyone's answers. YOurs are interesting, loved the picture post card answer.
    Sorry we missed you and didn't make the lower part of the state. Would have loved it.

    Hope the HUsband is improving and on the mend.
    ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. What I want to know is what's up with that breakfast? What were you thinking?!! This is a fun meme, I should start playing along too. Still sending prayers for your hubby. Please keep us posted ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad you joined. I like eating and sleeping on vacation. And I'd rather be last - like I am now. Lol sandie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!