Friday, July 12, 2013

'Twas a Very Good Year


Does anyone recall that news morsel circulating last year ... asking the American public, "What was the best year of your life?".

Instinctively, to no-one in particular, I responded:  "1983."

To those "in the know" (lol), 33 y/o

.... a few weeks later I read (that age) was the #1 answer!

Must admire one newscaster who shared his personal philosophy, "Right now is my best time!"
...But darn, how I struggle to embrace the present!

Looking back ... sure I've regrets.  Doesn't everyone?
All the same, I'm not sure I'd trade these skid marks for another go-round.
"Decade of the bubble", I call it.  Physically and financially comfortable ... but spiritually bankrupt.

Nope, I wouldn't go back.

One of my associates -- a breast cancer survivor -- recently spoke of her ordeal, calling it "the darkest days of my life." 
Then, flashing her signature smile, Coleen continued "... but I wouldn't have traded it for the world.  Tho' the old shoes no longer fit, I've met the most incredible people, and had the most amazing experiences!

As if the Universe were trying to hammer home the point ....
last evening I encountered a really cheery gal in the check-out line.   Company policy mandated her asking for my driver's license before ringing up a bottle of wine; and of course, we chuckled at the obvious irony.

Yikes (times infinity)!!!!!!!

 
"Fun, isn't it ... being carded and feeling like a kid again?", she asked.
"Oh no!" (I replied)
... I wouldn't dare go back again."

She seemed genuinely curious, as if looking for a secret.  "You know, almost every one of the older people I've met say the same thing!"

If-n you don't mind my asking, what was the best year of YOUR life?

....Would you want to go back again?

10 comments:

  1. I'm keen on 1970-71 -- the year I was twenty -- and yes, 1983. The last one...a great job, great travel, romance. Of course some not fun times were just around the corner, but I didn't know that. This year could be right up there. I always say a good year is one where I don't spend any time in the intensive care waiting room, and now I'm going to extend it to a time when I don't have surgery. Cupcake love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You pose an interesting question, Myra. I'm not sure I can even answer it, but I like how you instantly knew. You were a beauty, and still are. I can tell, even with a hand over your nose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a joy to see that beautiful thumb-nail of you in the post notification. Go back? only for two reasons. One to pay attention to ENGLISH and graduate HS, TWO: To have learned SPANISH while in Cuba with plenty of time and my hearing intact.

    Great entry. Thanks.((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a FAB photo of you in 1983 - wow!!

    I can't answer that question - every year was good, or bad, for many different reasons. Sometimes good AND bad in the same year. I just try to make the most of what I have and learn from the bad I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know - I would go back and change some decisions I made - but I don't know if there is any special year. You are a pretty gal! sandie

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice to meet you. Thanks for stopping over. You should join in on the Hodgepodge, it's fun! Your family looks lovely. I don't want to go back but I wish I had taken better care of my body.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No way would I go back! But when I was 44 I met my husband to be and that was a favorite time in my life. Right now is pretty darn good, I might say...almost 20 years later! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your previous post sure brought a tear to my eye. You do have a wonderful son! And I'm glad to hear Tom is hanging in there like a trooper. I know it has to be so hard on all of you.

    As far as this post goes, I've given it a few minutes of thought. I definitely can't pinpoint any specific year. There has been so much good in all of them, but lots of hard times along the way too - and it all intertwines.

    Would I want to go back again? Wow, I don't know! Regrets?... I have a few, but then again, too few to mention - Oh wait, that was Frank Sinatra not me ;)

    Stop hiding Myra, you are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I realize I'm late to this. I really am earnest trying to organize my time better to be able to spend more time meandering about in blog land. It's a challenge.

    My favorite year was 1992. I had my second daughter, and I started staying home to be a full time mother. Eventually, I missed the classroom, but at THAT time, I was too happy to miss it.

    Would I go back? YES YES YES. I would live and relive the years raising my daughters a dozen times if that would be possible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always make me think so much, pretty woman! Umm...not one year but the early 70's. That's when I married, had babies and became a born again Christian. I really felt rescued in so many ways and picked up and placed on the right track. Living it out is a challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!