Thursday, July 18, 2013

John and Schoep ... a love story


Quoting from a web page last August ...
 
"On Tuesday, July 31st, photographer Hannah Stonehouse Hudson took a photo of a friend and his dog.  That friend was John Unger, and that dog was Schoep. 
Little did either of them know how much of a difference that photo would make."

Like thousands of others, I was immediately taken by their story:
Schoep falling asleep every night as he was carried into Lake Superior to soothe his arthritic bones. 

It's my understanding, unsolicited donations began pouring in from across the globe -- allowing Schoep (and many others!) to receive laser and other healing therapies.


Schoep celebrated his 20th birthday just last month.
(What's that, 140 in human years?)   


Then today, John's message on Face Book ....

"I Breathe, But I Can't Catch My Breath..."

 Schoep passed yesterday
more information in the days ahead
 
Poor DH had to be taken aback by the sight of my tears when I walked in the door.  
 
'Suppose the reason I decided to write tonight, is my astonishment at the coming together of mankind. 
I mean, short of a beloved monarch, I wonder how many messages of condolence or "likes" would anyone expect?   
'Just checked, and in the 2-1/2 hours since that post appeared, there have been nearly 30,000 messages and 12,000 "likes."   
 
Sure, we're prone to argue or point fingers over politics n' "stuff" .... I'm right there, with ya!
But then, we're softened by a silly love story between a man and his dog.  
 
... which really wasn't so silly at all.  
 


12 comments:

  1. Oh Sweetie...
    I remember seeing that loving photograph of the two of them. Him soothing his faithful companion and spending quality hours together. So sad, but they had 20 wonderful years together, and his memories will see him through.

    I loved seeing the pics of Tom and knowing that he is a cupcake guy. I can just see you running around hitting up cupcake places for a variety.

    Let Tom know that Bald is Beautiful. Tony knows as he too, is bald. Tom is just as handsome now as he was before.

    Can't wait to have dinner or supper with you guys. Dinner works for us too. He has to get better soon so we can have a little fun together.

    You remain in my prayers sweet friend. Many hugs and SO much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOve stories like this just touch the heart. Amazing the outpouring of LOVE on the love story.
    ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen the pics of John and Shoep...their gentle love for each other and it truly is a love story of the best kind. Hugs Mevely. Wishing you a beautiful Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, not silly at all - these are the kinds of things that keep our faith in humanity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with all the others, very touching.
    Love & hugs my friend!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh AMEN to what you said at the end. I saw that he had died, and my heart went out to him. It was and IS a wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yeah, tears all over - if didn't come what person would we be = = =

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, yeah, tears all over - if didn't come what person would we be = = =

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not silly at all. A very touching story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're all alike in more ways than we're different. Love this post. I hadn't heard the story you told. I know I need to get out more, but I'm grateful for friends who do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Life is amazing when good people so great things! AN amazing story. Hugs Anne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!