Monday, March 25, 2013

Of Spring ... and Speed


Happy Spring!  

Except ...having spent the last decade in the desert Southwest, I'm convinced (that) Springtime is a myth ... showing up for a week; perhaps two.  

Nevertheless, DH and I agreed something Must.Be.Done about the storm-ravaged hibiscus before the weather gets much hotter.  Hubby went to get his shovel.  
Then, "Come look!"


I probably left the plant "as is" for empathy!

 Do you see what I see?
 
Even while I'm reluctant to let go of Winter, I'm awed by new life forms ... and the sheer resiliency of Mother Nature.  ('Still working on the gratitude part, but suspect it, too, will come around in time.)
 
* * *
 
So wish I were able to reach out across the miles and give ya'all a big HUG.  Your condolences and personal stories have touched our hearts.   It's still darn difficult to get up, put one foot in front of the other and a stick a smile on my face ... but in large measure, it's YOU who make it so worthwhile.
 
Now!  Are you ready to see some funny pictures?   (Those of you FB friends already know where this is going .... don't you?)
 
DH may be embarrassed to admit it, but deep down the man loves NASCAR.   So for his birthday last month I gifted him one of these itty-bitty scale race cars, with a note attached, asking, "Would you like to take a ride?"
 
So Saturday was "D-Day", and DH was literally floating on air!  I was a bit surprised how many folks our age were there, eagerly waiting their turn. One sweet little old lady just cracked me up, lamenting her hubby's fate and wishing she had a bottle of wine to calm her nerves.  
   

Wardrobe malfunction!

"Snug" is an understatement .... he said it gets WARM in there!
 
The Wallace team was so incredibly professional and  focused on safety.   I didn't realize, even their helmets are buckled to the car!

Um, I'd forgotten these cars don't have DOORS!
 
Phoenix Int'l. Raceway's not one of the SUPER-speedways, but DH was still able to experience the "NASCAR experience" at 150+ mph.
After, I asked:  "Did the driver say anything to you?"    "Yes, just once: 'Hang on." :)  
  
Thank you, Rusty Wallace for creating such a FUN experience for all the little kids posing as mild-mannered senior citizens!

Have a great week everyone ... hugs from Phoenix!

 
 









13 comments:

  1. Awwww, what a sweet thing. I like Rusty Wallace, I used to follow NASCAR but not much now. BUT I too would love to do that a 150 mph!!!

    What a neat gift.
    Loved the new birth at the top! The whole post is a great read.
    Thanks.
    PS: Loved the wardrobe malfunction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you've probably noticed, I haven't been around in Blog Land very much lately. It's one thing and then another, and I can not seem to get the groove back.

    So... I missed the post about your beautiful little Caraleigh. I know your heart must still be so lonely and broken and the home must seem more like a house these days. I'm truly, truly sorry.

    How wonderfully fun for your husband! My uncle did something like that once, and it was suck a thrill for him. I'm not a NASCAR person, but I have a lot of friends and family who are. My current claim to fame is that I know the people who sponsor Dale, Jr. Woohooo. Sort of NASCAR famous, I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great gift, I love that he went, that's awesome. I'd be wayyyyyyyyyy too scared to go, I'm a huge chicken of driving fast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh what a great gift to your husband! So cool. Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful! Such a nice gift for your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful! Such a nice gift for your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun gift for you man. That helmet would be the death of me, though. So claustrophobic I am.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a good wife with good gift ideas that would please your man!

    Happy Easter to you and yours!
    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a car fan, but I think my best gifts have been experiences, and this looks terrific. You were right, my theme is Broadway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah! You do everything you can - such a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah! You do everything you can - such a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  12. An awesome gift! Goodness life moves quickly and your honey is a brave one taken that ride! HeeHee! I know those drivers know what their are doing but getting in a car with one had to be so exciting! I remember the comedian Bill Engvall talking about flying with the Blue Angels. He said when that hatch went down he started crying "MOMMMMMMMMMAAAA........."! What a ride he had too!
    My nephews in Ky. always follow the NASCAR circuit and they know a few drivers. My boys have a couple model matchbox cars signed by a couple late great guys including Davey Allison! That is a terrific keepsake. Love the pics oyu shared too! Hugs Anne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by! Your words are like hugs from afar.... and who doesn't love a hug!